HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2001, 09:04 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
The Depron dillema

Has anybody found a source for Depron in the US yet? I have one lone sheet that came from a guy in Florida.

If I were to go through the hassle of importing some would you guys be interested?--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2001, 09:39 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Slow, I got some depron trays from the local supermarket by asking the butcher. The trays are 11x14 inch. On the underside,
they are stamped with the company who make them. Cryovac
I think is the name. I haven't done anything with them yet but
I have plans on making a 2 foot wing span and using a geared

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Nov 11, 2001, 01:16 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
737 Posts
slowflyer,

I haven't bought any, but apparently Peck-Polymers sell depron in two sheet sizes and a couple of colours. Check out the link:

http://www.peck-polymers.com/html/buildmat.htm

Gary
cayuse is offline Find More Posts by cayuse
Old Nov 11, 2001, 03:48 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Hmmmm the Peck stuff sounds like foamboard because it states that it's skinned on both sides. Someone mentioned a source for builders sheets from Guillows I think. Maybe I'll check into that.

seems to me that a lot of folks would like to have this stuff, but have a tough time finding it. It would really be nice to have it in the 24x36 sheets like i already have a sample of.

I'll keep looking---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Nov 11, 2001, 04:24 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Try emailing these people, they quoted me a price of $60 for 10 sheets shipped to my address, the shipping was around $15 if I remember correctly.

Brent & Maryann Carter bcarter@icgate.net

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 11, 2001, 08:46 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,970 Posts
All you need to do is get some foamboard and remove the cardboard skins. I'm not sure if it's Depron, but if not, it's pretty darn close. You can get thicker stuff at Staples, etc. I found 1/8" foamboard at a local arts and graphics place (Dick Blick, I'm not sure if they're national or not). After removing the skins, the foam is about 3mm, and that seems to be the thickness that people in Europe get their Depron in.

Removing the cardboard skins is easy. Just soak a piece of foamboard in warm water for 30 minutes or so. The bulk of the skin will peel right off. Then, rub the piece with the heel of you hand and the rest will roll right off. Just cut to approximate sizes first since it easier to work with smaller pieces rather than a whole sheet.

You can see the foamboard at:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz132/02c/p...m=0&ig_id=1013

In the stores, you can buy single sheets.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Nov 11, 2001, 09:24 AM
San Fransisco,Ca,Usa
Joined Aug 2001
86 Posts
Rcbrust is correct (I' pretty sure) I buy hunt brand foam board at my local dodad shop, it's a little cheaper than the art store.
Thomas
Thomas vogel is offline Find More Posts by Thomas vogel
Old Nov 11, 2001, 10:49 AM
Mike Swan
Oroville, California, United States
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
The depron from peck is the same as meat tray foam not craft board(cardboard covered)when i ordered they only had the thin brown,she stated they were out of the thicker sheet and were looking for a new supplier,i havent checked back,so they might have some in.From seing reports on e-zone i believe the guillows is no longer availible.Mike
kit basher is offline Find More Posts by kit basher
Old Nov 11, 2001, 11:15 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
the stuff i have is from WalMart. it's called "sturdyboard." it has a paper skin on both sides. it comes in 20"x30" sheets and costs about $1.70 per sheet. i found it in their office supplies area.

they had one style with black skins and the foam was black, too. but the black style was about a buck higher per sheet.

soaking off the paper from full sheets is a real pain. i tried blasting it with the hose and it didn't work all that well. a real mess.

an earlier post said to cut out the parts first, then soak the pieces off. i rough cut the pieces, soak the paper off in the sink, put on my pattern (paper pieces 3M77ed to masonite) and then hit with the hot wire cutter.

i'm not absolutely positive that this stuff is depron but if it looks, walks, and talks like a duck, you got a duck.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Nov 11, 2001, 11:22 AM
I am M I G H T Y !
Ipswich, England
Joined Feb 2001
486 Posts
I shot over to the local flooring/carpet/wood floor shop and asked for FLOORMATE. Its extruded polystyrene (Depron) sheet that these guys use as an insulating layer between the base surface and wood laminate or parquet flooring.

The guy says that he can get me 1 square meter of the stuff for 4.99 with no minimum amount to purchase. This stuff also comes "skinned" but its just a shiny, very smooth almost "ironed" surface. And it's in 3mm thickness!

If you are having a hard time trying to find true Depron in your area call up a flooring firm and ask them for Extruded Polystyrene Insulation for laminate or wood floors. They should be able to hook you up for not much $ or .

Steve
Steve Wrona is offline Find More Posts by Steve Wrona
Old Nov 11, 2001, 12:35 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2001
16 Posts
DIY "Depron"

I've had pretty good luck cutting my own foam sheets using a technique described in Electric Flight magazine. (Sopwith Triplane- March 2000) Using a hot wire cutter, lay a block of foam (your choice as long as it's safe to hot wire) on a flat surface and place piano wires of the desired diameter (sheet thickness) on either side of the block. I use bits of tape to hold them in place, beyond the travel of the cutter wire. These are the template. Trace the cutter wire along the piano wires to make the sheet. As with any foam cutting operation, you have to manage cutting speed to avoid ridges and grooves, but with reasonable care, you get good flat sheets. Of course, by varying the wire size, you can get any thickness you need.
macro is offline Find More Posts by macro
Old Nov 11, 2001, 01:31 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
HAHAHA!!!

I have my own foam cutter (homemade, jsut some wire and a power supply) and it is GREEEEAAAATTTT!!!!! cuts the foam like butter it does my favorite plane to build is the SE5A for speed 280 weighs 9 oz and takes a little over 4 hours to make
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Nov 11, 2001, 01:35 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
oh ya, and for the sheet cutting method, I took some thin hard sheeting I found a t home depot (1.50) and cut some 3/4 inch strips about 36" long out of it with a jigsaw. then I drilled pin holes in it and pin them to the sides and the hot wire runs along the top of the board
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Nov 11, 2001, 02:17 PM
Hillegom, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2001
564 Posts
Hai Slowflyer,
If you want I can prepare a parcel of original Depron cut in sizes that you wish and at the (low) price we can get it here in the Netherlands. In return, maybe you can help me (and some slowflying friends) by getting the Qualcom Li Ions and some 9V Rayovacs from the US. Let's see if we can work something out. Mail me.
Greetings,
HB
Harm Botman is offline Find More Posts by Harm Botman
Old Nov 11, 2001, 02:36 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
Depron

The stuff Peck Polymers sells is the stuff you want... But. I've called them and they're all out, and they're not sure when they'll order another shipment. Evidently they have someone make this stuff especially for them. I wonder who that is? The stuff available in Europe for insulating subflooring is not available here as far as I know. In my opinion, cutting blocks of foam from a home improvement warehouse is not a solution either. Sure using a hot wire cutter will give you thin sheets of foam, but the strength is not there. This is an all together different type of foam than the stuff used for depron. One other aspect is that of the thin plastic coating on the outside of the depron, this coating adds quite a bit of strength. I haven't got around to soaking the stuff you can find at walmart, and peeling the paper stuff off. Anyway... my two depressing cents.

Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer