SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
Registered User
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
+1 What Devonboy said. UK FPvers still go for 100mw UHF systems because

A: It's 10 times more powerful than a standard 10mw rc 2.4ghz tx not to mention will give you better pentration because of the lower frequency
B: The 2.4ghz frequency is bloated as it is, avoiding this frequency at all costs especially if your flying in a urban/sub-urban area is a good decision.

100mw UHF will still give you a good distance and dont forget its not about the output power of your tx its about your recievers on the other end.
Regarding your point (A) above, surely a decent 2.4GHz control system will give you range in excess of the spotters unaided visual range?! You should easily be good for 1000m on a Futaba system. Regarding point (B), I've never had a problem with the integrity of my 2.4Ghz control system, in spite of the local traffic on that band. I guess it's because it's frequency hopping system, which is fairly robust, right? And I don't know anybody who uses UHF for conventional non-FPV aircraft because it is more robust that 2.4G.

So for me, I still don't see why you would want to use UHF unless you are planning to fly further than you can on a 2.4G system. It's a shame we're not permitted to do so, because to me, that is the exciting possibility of this technology. I can see why we have these laws, but I feel it's really a case of being sensible and managing the risk you are taking. For example, what about if you go to the middle of Dartmoor and fly beyond visual range there? Is that still illegal?

And another thing, I reckon the 'visual range of a spotter' thing was a concession on article 166 of the Air Navigation Order. However, if you put a GoPro camera on the front of your plane in addition to a piloting one, does that not make it a 'Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft', which is then subject to article 167 of the ANO, and is not subject to such restrictions?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't intend to break the law. It just doesn't seem that clear to me.
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
malcr001's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw459205 View Post
Regarding your point (A) above, surely a decent 2.4GHz control system will give you range in excess of the spotters unaided visual range?! You should easily be good for 1000m on a Futaba system. Regarding point (B), I've never had a problem with the integrity of my 2.4Ghz control system, in spite of the local traffic on that band. I guess it's because it's frequency hopping system, which is fairly robust, right? And I don't know anybody who uses UHF for conventional non-FPV aircraft because it is more robust that 2.4G.

So for me, I still don't see why you would want to use UHF unless you are planning to fly further than you can on a 2.4G system. It's a shame we're not permitted to do so, because to me, that is the exciting possibility of this technology. I can see why we have these laws, but I feel it's really a case of being sensible and managing the risk you are taking. For example, what about if you go to the middle of Dartmoor and fly beyond visual range there? Is that still illegal?

And another thing, I reckon the 'visual range of a spotter' thing was a concession on article 166 of the Air Navigation Order. However, if you put a GoPro camera on the front of your plane in addition to a piloting one, does that not make it a 'Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft', which is then subject to article 167 of the ANO, and is not subject to such restrictions?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't intend to break the law. It just doesn't seem that clear to me.
Dont get too worked up bw459205 it's a fact that many UK FPV'ers dont follow these rules. If we did we would be severly restricted. Just be sensible about it and use your common sense.

I'm not talking about using UHF for FPV non-fpv flight. That would be pretty silly. I have had plenty of issues using 2.4ghz for rc in a suburban area. On my first FPV flight my trex 250 spooled up by itself and flew into a bush! Clearly something nearby was blasting on 2.4ghz but go figure I was using a spektrum rc tx which is not highly rated here. I have had a couple of other scary moments too. I never want that kind of thing to happen again so I'm hoping my recent move to UHF will prevent this in the future.

It may be different for others too but I like to make sure my rc link has more range than my video so that when my video starts to recieve static I can still control my FPV platform! Its better for your video to start showing the limits of your range rather than your platform suddenly kicking into failsafe and being unable to head back home! Its one of TBS's philosophies.

I recommend you read this if your confused:
http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/

If you really want to get into discussion about it I recommend you go on the fpvuk forum to discuss with Simon and the other guys that know far more about FPV legalities than probably most do here.
http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Registered User
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
Dont get too worked up bw459205 it's a fact that many UK FPV'ers dont follow these rules. If we did we would be severly restricted. Just be sensible about it and use your common sense.

I'm not talking about using UHF for FPV non-fpv flight. That would be pretty silly. I have had plenty of issues using 2.4ghz for rc in a suburban area. On my first FPV flight my trex 250 spooled up by itself and flew into a bush! Clearly something nearby was blasting on 2.4ghz but go figure I was using a spektrum rc tx which is not highly rated here. I have had a couple of other scary moments too. I never want that kind of thing to happen again so I'm hoping my recent move to UHF will prevent this in the future.

It may be different for others too but I like to make sure my rc link has more range than my video so that when my video starts to recieve static I can still control my FPV platform! Its better for your video to start showing the limits of your range rather than your platform suddenly kicking into failsafe and being unable to head back home! Its one of TBS's philosophies.

I recommend you read this if your confused:
http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/

If you really want to get into discussion about it I recommend you go on the fpvuk forum to discuss with Simon and the other guys that know far more about FPV legalities than probably most do here.
http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/
Yes I did read that link. It doesn't clear things up for me really, esp regarding article 167. Article 166 kills me, as I'm building an X8, which is working out over 1.8KG. And the 'spotter's at my club are all old guys with rubbish eyesight too. Oh dear!
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
malcr001's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw459205 View Post
Yes I did read that link. It doesn't clear things up for me really, esp regarding article 167. Article 166 kills me, as I'm building an X8, which is working out over 1.8KG. And the 'spotter's at my club are all old guys with rubbish eyesight too. Oh dear!
Whatever you do I dont recommend flying FPV at your rc club at all unless they are clearly 100% OK with it. I have heard so many horror stories about FPV'ers being kicked out because the older and more respected guys neither understand or aprechiate FPV. Some go as far as accusing you for causing interferance and crashing their planes when they dont even know the frequencies your operating on and are unaware of the redudancies in place to prevent interferance on other bands. It's really unfortunate that FPV is in this situation but its best not to stir the pot and cause a situation where you will have to leave.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Last edited by malcr001; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
Registered User
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
Whatever you do I dont recommend flying FPV at your rc club at all unless they are clearly 100% OK with it. I have heard so many horror stories about FPV'ers being kicked out because the older and more respected guys neither understand or aprechiate FPV. Some go as far as accusing you for causing interferance and crashing their planes when they dont even know the frequencies your operating on and are unaware of the redudancies in place to prevent interferance on other bands. It's really unfortunate that FPV is in this situation but its best not to stir the pot and cause a situation where you will have to leave.
They appear to be OK with it... so far...
So where do you go to fly?
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Registered User
malcr001's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw459205 View Post
They appear to be OK with it... so far...
So where do you go to fly?
I go walking with a good friend of mine and scout for public fields that are quiet and dont have any potential problem areas nearby like phone masts on a regular basis. I go through public footpaths to find the fields that arent nearby any roads that would otherwise probably be hard to find. Plenty fly in parks, farmland etc. Basically any open area that isnt an rc club or nearby a motorway!
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert 2012 New England Aerotow set for May 18, 19 & 20 in Salem, CT SPasierb Sailplane Events 4 Aug 25, 2012 06:50 PM
Discussion Rules and Regualtions for paid AP work in the UK topgearuk Aerial Photography 45 May 17, 2012 10:19 AM
Question Anyone in south east england, where are your best flying areas? onelastflight Parkflyers 1 Mar 20, 2012 04:32 AM
Discussion Question for UK members - what mode are RTF micros sold with in England? John Webb Micro Helis 5 Feb 16, 2007 04:25 AM
Question Any good f.e boat clubs in S.E England, UK speedchaser Club Talk 0 Nov 17, 2004 05:03 AM