HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Question
Air dams.

Ive had trouble stopping my mystic 29 from flipping when getting to full speed,i no a lot of it has to do with cog,prop adjustment ,an where batterys are,,so i made a air dam,out of some plastic taped it under the front,so when you looked at it front on it looked v shaped, i never flipped it,and felt confidant that it made a different.,am i dreaming,was i just lucky,just wanted to see what you guys think
before i make it a permanent fixture.
bbbnz is offline Find More Posts by bbbnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:27 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Any pictures of it?

What prop adjustments did you try before adding the air dam?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
no pics sory wparsons,but ive had it up ive had it down moved batterys forward moved them bac,but with the air dam thing i put on,i felt it helped,as everytime ive been out ive flipd,this time i did'nt .once you up grade,an push things to the limit,other things pop up,(i need to learn how to down load makes it easyer for you guys to help) thanx
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Did you try slightly below the bottom of the sponsons, with a bit of negative angle to drive the nose down?
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Ive had it bout flush with the sponsons,but no neg or pos,but will try it in next couple days
i think you said a few days ago that it was probaly at its limits at near 50mph,do you mean the drive gear handling it ,or the hull it self,,thanx
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
sorry you were talking about batterys on the limits of the hull.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
I did mean the hull for the limits of speed. I'm not sure how fast they really like to go without getting really light in the water. When you get up to those speeds, you need really calm conditions or it'll blow over really easily.

I found a video of one claiming 60mph on 6s, but it's also in dead calm conditions and I'm not sure how accurate the 60mph claim is:

Miss Geico #2 hit 60mph with todays runs (JPriami) (0 min 18 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Air dams work great, I use plastic corner molding from Home Depot cut to 1/4" high with hatch tape on both sides to keep in in place.
Make sure the air dam is not in the water at rest.
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2011
278 Posts
Bbbnz. Try adjusting your strut so it is flush with the sponsons and about 1 degree neg. angle. My mytsic seemed to stay pretty well planted like that with my 4074 2200 in it. However as parsons has said. With that power setup in the boat it will not handle any chop well, the water has to be near perfect good luck and have fun!!!
wagondriver42 is offline Find More Posts by wagondriver42
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
280 Posts
How fast are you going with it? It really depends if it's flipping over due to improper setup or water conditions, or if it's actually blowing over due to aerodynamics.
If you're going 50mph and flipping over, you probably don't need an air dam. If you are going fast enough where the boat is fine untill you reach a given speed, then the hull just suddenly flips backward, an air dam can help.

If your setup is right and it's an aerodynamic problem, I wouldn't change anything, just make the air dam and leave everything else alone. If the tunnel is catching too much air at high speed, it will raise the front of the boat and effectively change the strut angle. I don't think over-compensation of the strut angle is the proper fix...just get the aerodynamic problem corrected. There may be some cases in where it's advantageous to run a negative strut angle, but if you've already been able to use an air dam to keep it in the water, I think that's the best option.
Pseudonym is offline Find More Posts by Pseudonym
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Hey Guys, a couple of questions if I may ...I have a a Miss Madison from MHZ, she keeps flipping at a certain speed, a Would an air dam function on a Hydro? b How does it look like or what are the recommendations for a Hydro like the MM, without asking to much a pic would be nice, c What's the down side of placing an air dam? Thanx, Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Last edited by pkboo; Jun 10, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Grammar BooBoo
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
thanx for that, i think the air dam is helping but as others have said i need set up bit better in angel of strut my strut is level,just before hole appears,for the ajustment cheers. for help.