HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
479 Posts
Randy, yes I use regular old clear packing tape from Lowes or where ever.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
That's why I like doing business with Soaring U S A!!!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:30 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
319 Posts
X 2 3.8 Maiden

Got my x2 into the Texas air for the first time today. CG at 120mm. Got several fllghts but the one's using my TLAR wing launch setting resulted in pop-offs. Once I tried launching with a clean wing I got a pretty good launch. What are people using for setup on the regular layup x2? Will document further what I've got.

Rob
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Last edited by onemetre; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
What flight modes??
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
What flight modes??
I've got (on an 11x):

L3P - Launch, Normal, Reflex

Off normal I have Thermal, Normal, Float on another 3 pos switch above the rudder stick.

Rob
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemetre View Post
Got my x2 into the Texas air for the first time today. CG at 120mm. Got several fllghts but the one's using my TLAR wing launch setting resulted in pop-offs. Once I tried launching with a clean wing I got a pretty good launch. What are people using for setup on the regular layup x2? Will document further what I've got.
Put hook a few mm ahead of GC (1-2mm) and then adjust elevator for best launch. Camber - around 10mm in wing root.

This will take you into the ballpark in just 2-3 test launches. Perfecting the setup will take hundreds of launches.

I use 2 stage launch setup. It is not always needed but gives you some flexibility in trimming and adjusting to different conditions.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemetre View Post

Rob
It sounds like you could use a little down preset in the elevator in the launch mode.
Is it popping off right away, or after a couple seconds?
How is the elevator trim in launch compared to with the wing clean?
Depending on the hook position, you may need a bit of down trim in launch...

Good luck,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
319 Posts
Consensus was it's an elevator issue. Wasn't immediate on the pop-off but maybe 1/2 way. Clean wing was still pretty good (also got a nice ping). Looking forward to seeing it go once it's fully dialed in.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 AM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
I've found the X2 to be fairly accepting of a wide range of camber in launch, from none to over 15mm measured at the flap root.

Just start with something like 10-12mm at the flap root and dial in your elevator trim to get it where you want. A lot of guys jam the hook as far back as they can get it. Mine is about 4mm rear of the middle of the slot. I have about 13mm of camber full span and it pulls hard and launches as good as anyone would want.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
Levittown,PA
Joined Jan 2003
432 Posts
With all these new Mk2 Xplorers is anyone selling a nice used Mark 1 ST version (3.5 or 3.8) ? looking in the 1000.00 to 1300.00 range. Pay pal ready, I live on East coast , PA.. Thanks JAck.
Jackspt28 is offline Find More Posts by Jackspt28
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Levittown,PA
Joined Jan 2003
432 Posts
Thanks Guys found and bought one. !! Jack.
Jackspt28 is offline Find More Posts by Jackspt28
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
X2 4m feedback:

I know Daryl has a 4 meter X2, but I don't know if anyone else in this country is flying one. I am interested in getting one, but was hoping there is some feedback someone who already owns one. I've heard mixed reviews on the X2 3.8 from a couple of friends. They either love it or hate it. I'd like to get some feedback on the 4 meter X2, that should be available soon to the average Joe pilot (unlike Daryl's 50 oz. freak). I'm especially interested in how it performs compared to the X1 4m, which I currently own. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Last edited by SaltyOne; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on the X2 3.8 from a couple of friends. They either love it or hate it.
George, I'd appreciate knowing reasons why your friend(s) didn't like X2-3.8. Aside from a few public posts about poor X2 fit-and-finish quality I have not heard a peep of negative on RCG on flight characteristics, airframe strength, durability, etc.

I fly an X1-4.0 and X1-3.8 and like both of them. Not feeling rushed to go X2 yet...

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
Chris,

I'm really not sure about my friends. One loved his X2 3.8 when he first got it, but then started talking about having trouble making smooth thermal turns. The other friend felt that the X2 didn't thermal quite as well as his X1, and sold his X2. He's back to an X1 and loves the plane. I don't like to speak for others, and could be paraphrasing their comments inaccurately. Both are good pilots.

I've also heard and read plenty of positive comments about the X2. I just haven't heard much about the X2 4 m. I love my X1 4 m, so I probably shouldn't even be thinking about an X2, but you know how it is with sailplanes.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Last edited by SaltyOne; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:38 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne View Post
Chris,

I'm really not sure about my friends. One loved his X2 3.8 when he first got it, but then started talking about having trouble making smooth thermal turns. The other friend felt that the X2 didn't thermal quite as well as his X1, and sold his X2. He's back to an X1 and loves the plane. I don't like to speak for others, and could be paraphrasing their comments inaccurately. Both are good pilots.

I've also heard and read plenty of positive comments about the X2. I just haven't heard much about the X2 4 m. I love my X1 4 m, so I probably shouldn't even be thinking about an X2, but you know how it is with sailplanes.

George
You should be able to get your hands on one in a little bit. I have one on order. Bob will fill you in via PM I am sure.

The difference between the 3.5 and 3.8 is actually worth noting and I notice that a few changes in ai diff and ai-Rud coupling were required to get it smooth in the turns but aside from that which was the same between the x1 3.5 and 3.8 its an amanzing ship. ITs a vast improvement over the X1 IMHO -

I cant wait for the 4.0 x2
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution