SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
I need a new canopy and Horizon has them on back order Anyone have one I could buy?
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I had bought a v2 motor mount and found that it covers up the cooling holes on my hyperion motor and weighs 5 grams more than needed. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up, even though Eflite has fixed the motor mount problem there is still a very good reason to order the billet aluminum mount from www.smallpartscnc.com, it is much lighter than the stock v2 mount and allows more airflow for better cooling and performance.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I got my hobbywing esc's in from www.falconsekido.com fast shipping and the price is insane. I have seen these esc's abused by crazy cp pilots and I use them in other planes. I used to buy castle esc's, but I like these better!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I raided my LHS armed with the credit card, just hope the wife doesn't find out!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:32 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I raided my LHS armed with the credit card, just hope the wife doesn't find out!
Nice! That is how this plane should be put together, did you get a spinner also? Personally I don't trust internal bec's on any power system 4s or greater, just my take. When a plane gets to be in the vicinity of $3-400.00 I tend to lean on the side of caution and spring for a $20 cc ubec. That way I know the system is sound, just my soldering skills remain in question!! You should be okay as it looks as though you've opted for a 3s system.
You must be looking for speed with the higher kv motor? Sure she'll rip with the right prop. I just got two of the same lipos with the exception they are 4s, one is on the charger right now, going to try them tomorrow. I've been running eflite power 25, cc 80 amp and 14x5 zinger prop, pulls pretty hard over 1000 watts at 70 amps. I'm still keen on castle creations speed controllers, primarily for ease of tuning with the castle link system. Plug, few clicks here and there and away you go, no need to wait and listen for beeps and give stick inputs... good system. Also up for test flight in the yak tomorrow is the guardian 2d/3d flight stabilizer by eagle tree. Just finished installing it and tweeking it... hear good things about it so we'll see how it goes.

Have fun with the build.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Last edited by IEATSRT; Aug 21, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:23 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I do have a few different spinners, I do that last after a C of G test. I try to use the biggest and lightest spinner I can get away with, if it's tail heavy I usually go with a heavier spinner though. I'm planning on 3s with this yak, I'm hoping the higher Kv motor will keep up the rpm's on a 3s so I can use a 12" or 13" prop. Hobbywing has a programming card that is super easy to use, my lhs will program them before you leave the shop if you don't have a card. These are cheap esc's but the quality is there, reliable too. Let us know how the eagle tree system works, sounds interesting!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
The eagle tree worked pretty well, but still needs some tweeking and trimming for straight level flight, she wanted to nose down a bit in 2d mode but was good in 3d mode. I just didn't have the "level flight and trims" set quite right. It is a very similar system to the "AS3X" horizon hobby has brought out in its ultra micros except it can be used on any plane and is fully programmable. Here is a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644

The winds were calm this morning though so never got a real feel for how well it will stabilize fight however, plane tracked very good in 3d mode and I can see how this system will make any plane fly better and allow one to fly in wind conditions that would normally keep one grounded. I'm not trying to sell the product by any means, just thought I would share my thoughts on it.

That said I did have a rough landing on my second battery. Completely my own fault just a little too slow on landing. Gear flexed enough to let the prop strike and bent my motor shaft, that sucks as I had three more batteries to burn through yet. I guess having a 14" prop didnt help matters, probably would have gotten away with it if I had a 13 on there. Have a spare shaft at home so will change it out tonight and continue my testing.

Keep us posted about the esc's.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Well, I banged my yak up, and bent the motor shaft. Messed up the motor trying to replace the shaft. I have a hacker a40-10s not being used, so I wondered if it would fit. Well it's slightly too big in diameter. I filed down the xmount spots in the cowl, and now it does. I ordered a yak x mount from www.smallpartscnc.com, which has slots for the motor mount, allowing bolt patterns of 19x19 all the way to 25x25(mm). The hacker motor only weighs 8 grams more than the stock motor(according to my scale). The power output should be about the same, but torque should be off the wall.

From what I've heard, a 14x7 is a great prop on this motor. I'm concerned this will end up with many prop strikes on the yak. Hoping something in the 13x4-13x8 works well.
I'm more concerned with thrust than wattage.

I have a wattmeter, so I can check that. But sometimes you can get better thrust with fewer overall watts.
Can anyone tell me what I need to measure thrust??
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Well, I banged my yak up, and bent the motor shaft. Messed up the motor trying to replace the shaft. I have a hacker a40-10s not being used, so I wondered if it would fit. Well it's slightly too big in diameter. I filed down the xmount spots in the cowl, and now it does. I ordered a yak x mount from www.smallpartscnc.com, which has slots for the motor mount, allowing bolt patterns of 19x19 all the way to 25x25(mm). The hacker motor only weighs 8 grams more than the stock motor(according to my scale). The power output should be about the same, but torque should be off the wall.

From what I've heard, a 14x7 is a great prop on this motor. I'm concerned this will end up with many prop strikes on the yak. Hoping something in the 13x4-13x8 works well.
I'm more concerned with thrust than wattage.

I have a wattmeter, so I can check that. But sometimes you can get better thrust with fewer overall watts.
Can anyone tell me what I need to measure thrust??
You only need a digital fishing/hanging scale AFAIAC

Like this:
Great Planes Reactor EP 3D ARF, static thrust test (2 min 44 sec)
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
I've been flying with a 14 inch prop for a while now, probably about 20 flights without a hitch. Yesterday had a bit of a harder landing and gear flexed enough to let prop strike, resulted in bent motor shaft. Wood prop didn't help much as there is little flex either. Last night changed the shaft out and I solved the problem by removing the gear, putting in a vice and with two pairs of pliers bent the gear in so that the plane would sit higher. As such had to bend the gear at the wheel a bit to get the wheels to sit better, they were angled in as a result narrowing up the gear. Looks like I need to bring the left side in just a hair more. Three landings today without a hitch, dont anticipate any future problems. As you can see in photos if you did a nice three point landing there is 4" of room, a level landing will yeild 3" of clearance. With narrower gear your plane will be more prone to wing tipping but I had no issues.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Nice mod there, Eater. I often fly from a gravel road and could use a bit more clearance.

Got mine back on the scales today and she weighs 57 ounces with a 165 gram motor, 8 ounce 3s 2600, no wheel pants or pilot. It's gained about 2 ounces from the original build. Not too bad for some epoxy, carbon fiber reinforcing and about a can or two of spray paint.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I'm trying to get the weight down to 55-56 ounces on 3s, can't wait to see how it feels. I like the landing gear mod, I hate prop strikes, especially when the shaft gets bent.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:32 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
Quick flight nothing special. I need to get a routine instead of just going up and flying. I always forget to try maneuvers like pop tops, weeble wobble etc.

Eflite Carbon Z Yak (3 min 50 sec)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Nice flying IEATSRT! The 3s yak build is going well, almost finished! Just need to install push rods, trim it out and dial in the surface deflections and she should be good to go. The AUW is around 56 ounces (removed pilot but kept pants and fairings) and the C of G looks perfect. The Hyperion 3020-8 looks like the perfect 3s lipo motor for the yak, it produces good power on 3s, it's about 35 grams lighter than the stock motor, it's a drop in fit, you could still use stock esc and shaft changes are much easier. I tested it with a 12X6 apc prop (I figured this was the most popular prop being used) and it pulled 736 watts @ 64 amps. This was with a hyperion 45c 2600mah 3s lipo. So far things are looking great, can't wait to fly it!
Last edited by slo-fly; Aug 25, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
The Yak didn't pull out of a roll over the lake a couple weeks ago and entered the water at high speed, snapping the nose off and breaking it in three pieces. We have a rowboat at the club for rescues. Anyway, lots of white Gorilla glue later, it's back in one piece and I ran some numbers before taking it up tomorrow:

Hyperion 3025-8
Hitec HS-82MG (x4)
Zippy 4S 2800mAh 30C
Eflite 60A ESC (stock)

AUW: 4.00lb (64oz) (c.f. stock 3.75 - 3.81lb, about 5% heavier)

Prop ---- Amps -- Watts-- Thrust (lb)
12x6 ---- 62.3 ---- 860 ---- 5.8
12x8 ---- 70.1 ---- 944 ---- 5.3
13x4 ---- 55.4 ---- 780 ---- 6.3
13x6.5 -- 69.6 ---- 930 --- 6.9

All props are APC thin electrics. Static thrust measured with a fishing scale.

The plane balances without any extra weight, battery at the rear of the compartment. The missing pilot seems to counterbalance the slightly heavier motor.
jwiebe is offline Find More Posts by jwiebe