HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
I was laughing,,.. you Guys talking about something caught between the cogs...lol. I was flying my V4, and, after a slight blade strike on some outdoor furniture, my V4 kept making this clicking noise that was driving my crazy...even though she was flying just fine. So, I landed and brought her inside. Inspected. Saw the problem. Went outside to retrieve the missing piece
This was still flying mind you
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I was laughing,,.. you Guys talking about something caught between the cogs...lol. I was flying my V4, and, after a slight blade strike on some outdoor furniture, my V4 kept making this clicking noise that was driving my crazy...even though she was flying just fine. So, I landed and brought her inside. Inspected. Saw the problem. Went outside to retrieve the missing piece
Mike.
You gotta be kiddin me Bro? That thing was still flying? Wo!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:39 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
You gotta be kiddin me Bro? That thing was still flying? Wo!
lol....I sheeet me pants when I saw that too. Unbelievable
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,280 Posts
Quote:
How tight is too tight? I have found that tips passed off to me I try to pass off to you.

Tighten the blade screw tight enough where it will hold both blades horizontal to the floor, nose of heli pointed downward. Now, with a slight "downward jerk" the blades will fold down. That's how I adjust my "blades to blade grips."

This is how I do my 120SR and V4 folding blades.

Mike.
I like my blades just a tad bit looser, so they just start to fall, without the jerk.

Kyle
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:03 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Runnikee,

When it's doing the toilet bowl thing is it always pointing at the same heading... for example, north?
Yeah, my heli always points toward North when it has tbe.

Mike is the one who kept insisting that a cracked main shaft was a major source of tbe. I wasn't convinced until a couple of weeks ago when my heli became unflyable.

I stubbornly tried everything else but finally got around to examining the shaft more closely. Taking the screw driver that came with my heli I VERY gently pushed it into the top of the shaft. Sure enough, I found a hairline crack that appeared to have started at the topmost hole and propagated upward.

I replaced it with a new one and... VOILA! The tbe was worse than ever. Huh?The brand new shaft was cracked! Tried another new shaft - same story!

Finally in desperation I put a tiny drop of ca on the very top of the shaft where it would wick down into the crack. I immediately wiped off any excess glue and let the shaft cure for about 30 minutes before putting the heli back together... VOILA! PROBLEM SOLVED! I've been flying with the repaired shaft ever since with no hint of tbe.

At least one other peep has reported a cracked shaft right out of the package. I think it may happen when the holes are drilled too fast. It's worth checking out!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Aug 06, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:17 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post

Mike is the one who kept insisting that a cracked main shaft was a major source of tbe. I wasn't convinced until a couple of weeks ago when my heli became unflyable.

I stubbornly tried everything else but finally got around to examining the shaft more closely. Taking the screw driver that came with my heli I VERY gently pushed it into the top of the shaft. Sure enough, I found a hairline crack that appeared to have started at the topmost hole and propagated unward.

I replaced it with a new one and... VOILA! The tbe was worse than ever. Huh?The brand new shaft was cracked! Tried another new shaft - same story!

Finally in desperation I put a tiny drop of ca on the very top of the shaft where it would wick down into the crack. I immediately wiped off any excess glue and let the shaft cure for about 30 minutes before putting the heli back together... VOILA! PROBLEM SOLVED! I've been flying with the repaired shaft ever since with no hint of tbe.

At least one other peep has reported a cracked shaft right out of the package. I think it may happen when the holes are drilled too fast. It's worth checking out!
That makes perfect sense to me Pilgrim, as I mentioned earlier, I believe TBE is caused by any wear, damage, or mis-assembly, that causes the flybar to be "out of phase" with the head/rotor assembly.

But I think you need to let HH know about thier problem with a brand new shaft being cracked.

BD/Kyle
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Quote:

...:

What I'm wondering is... does the nose always point at one particular heading regardless of where the heli is in its trip around the "funnel," which is a symptom of TBE ... or does the nose follow the funnel, which is not.

I think I know the probable answer... but you never know, sometimes people aren't talking about the obvious when describing something
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Nose always points in the same direction. I'll try the CA solution and see if it helps. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wow, this is the place to go. You guys know a lot!
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:23 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
Nose always points in the same direction. I'll try the CA solution and see if it helps. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wow, this is the place to go. You guys know a lot!
I made sure to wipe off the excess ca right away, and I let the shaft cure for at least a half hour. Good luck!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Mike.
Whoa, Mike! That definitely takes the cake. Maybe you ought to consider flying with 75% of ALL your parts because it'll save a LOT of weight!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:22 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:

This is why I put a drop on my shaft for every new one I get. It has saved a lot of trouble. But, you ask, why are you replacing the shafts?? I have built several of these 120s from scratch parts!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
This is why I put a drop on my shaft for every new one I get. It has saved a lot of trouble. But, you ask, why are you replacing the shafts?? I have built several of these 120s from scratch parts!
Let us know if you ever decide to have a "scratch and dent" sale.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:38 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Mike.
That was so bad that I didn't see it at first. I thought something was covering ppart of the wheel. Amazing that it continued to fly.

My clickety clacking was caused by so little in comparison to that, it's crazy. No damage elsewhere either?
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Quote:
Mike.
No way! How was this even flying?
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
On a different note, the wind gods finally cooperated yesterday and I was able to take my 120 outside for a flight. It seems that it had very little power for FFF; otherwise it acted normally. Could this be a case of a tired old main motor or is this common?
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper