Mark
Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
help needed for FMS P-51 prop mounting.

Hi
the picture below should show the problem clearly. so here are some questions:
(1). which section should I install my prop, (red, green, blue?) I'm planning to put the prop in between the "red" section to make the gap between prop and fuselage small.
(2). I tried to use my screw driver poking through the hole on the cone shaped nut but as i start to rotate it (tighten it) to a certain point where it starts to get tight, the shaft starts to rotate with the cone nut in the direction that i tighten the cone, and I don't have any space to put in something try to hold the shaft from not rotating with the cone. I was thinking can I put in the battery to give some throttle so the torque from the motor will tighten it for me? but that seems dangerous.
(3). as you can see, the kit comes with two metal spacers which doesn't seems to be enough to tighten the nut(the nut bottoms out before it's tight), should i get a normal nut with same thread?
(4). there is a pic of the other side of prop, there is a hex shape built in, but htere is no hex shape screw on the shaft to match with it, I was thinking it should just work the way like wheels and differential connection on rc cars.
thanks
Mark
wangyine is offline Find More Posts by wangyine
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:22 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Mark,

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES try and tighten that Propeller assembly by activating the motor!

You perhaps missed my earlier post a few pages back saying that the way I made sure that Spinner (my madien Flight was caused of this same spinner / propeller assembly coming OFF in MID-FLIGHT), I used small pieces of Double Sticky Tape right at the fraying surface (very back end) of the Propeller adapter and then, insert the plastic Spinner / propeller assembly onto it!

Hope this helps!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Mar 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:24 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I myself placed the two washers in front of the propeller / spinner assembly.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:27 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hex shape Nut in the Molded Plastic at the rear of the Spinner assembly is perhaps for another model that employs a Gearbox setup and thereby uses a Hex Nut to secure the spinner / propeller adapter onto the reduction shaft of gearbox.

For our purposes, we don't have to worry about it as our application is direct drive, yet you still have to slide the propeller adapter shaft into this hole.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Here's my post at the EPO FMS Mustang Thread discussing prop / spinner assembly securing!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2898
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
Mark
Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Thanks Carlos
Great help!
Mark
wangyine is offline Find More Posts by wangyine
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
prop mounting for fms p-51

Carlos, My name is Andrew. I was looking at your pics for the correct mounting of the Fms P-51 prop mount and I notice you have a one piece prop on there instead of the stock 4 blade screw on type. Where did you get this prop from and do you know the size and pitch?

I went to much foward stick on take off and broke one of the blades. I took one blade off to only have 2 blades on the spinner, but I hear that the bird wont perform well with only 2 blades. either you have to have the stock 4 blades or put a single two bladed speed prop on.

Can you please help me out with this?

Thankyou
Andrew
jude165 is offline Find More Posts by jude165
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:20 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude165 View Post
Carlos, My name is Andrew. I was looking at your pics for the correct mounting of the Fms P-51 prop mount and I notice you have a one piece prop on there instead of the stock 4 blade screw on type. Where did you get this prop from and do you know the size and pitch?

I went to much foward stick on take off and broke one of the blades. I took one blade off to only have 2 blades on the spinner, but I hear that the bird wont perform well with only 2 blades. either you have to have the stock 4 blades or put a single two bladed speed prop on.

Can you please help me out with this?

Thankyou
Andrew
Andrew...Carlos is no longer on RCGroups, he posts on RCUniverse..., but to answer your question, his pictures are of the stock 4 blade prop.
You can either buy another 4 blade set from one of the FMS venders, Nitroplanes, pw-rc or ready2fly...or just pick up a APC 2 blade 13X10 electric prop with the stock spinner.
Last year FMS sold a seperate 2 blade spinner for the P-51 but it's no longer available, now we have to use the 4 blade spinner with a 2 blade prop.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
My man thankyou very much for your reply. I was going crazy looking for the 4 blade props. but I hear this bird flys faster with a 2 blade prop. thanks again
jude165 is offline Find More Posts by jude165