HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Ya, that AUW thing. This is the first time I have chased it in a long time, but it is sort of a race to a line just to see if I can get there. Not real sure why I got the bug on this build, but I got it right now.

Part of this chase is because I am basically getting the same size ship as I'm flying that will be 15% lighter, kind of gets my brain going.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 08:47 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Marc,

When you start out with a light and well built sailplane 67oz it is ez to shave here and there to make a difference. Tuff to do with a 77 - 85oz sailplane with out drilling holes in the wing to save weight to make a difference

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:05 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
My scale is only good to +- .1g.
This little comment cracked me up. I have an equivalent scale. Created a whole new me... I started weighing balsa sticks & sheets. Crazy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
It's all good stuff...
Yup it's all good. that's why we're here.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
The last time I seriously chased weight was a Sagitta 600, lightening holes everywhere, and it broke day one across one, I learned the balsa lightening issue right then. The neat thing with messaging a molded sailplane to squeeze some more out is that you work like the devil to get a bit here and there, and that here and there can be gone in nothing flat if you are not careful. Like I said previously, it is a challenge on this ship, and I am enjoying that challenge.

Marc
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Finished Skeg

Here is the final shots, the skeg is officially finished. Like I said, lots of shapes work, this is different than the first one I made, but many will work. The weight before I trimmed it up and sanded it smooth was 19gm., the finished product weighs 7.3gms. I shaped it up on a belt sander, lets you get symetry with the curves, and then some sanding to smooth the surface and finally some 600 wet and she is plenty smooth now.

Marc
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:12 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,310 Posts
Looks nice. I love a smooth skeg myself! Congrats
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,114 Posts
Where are the shark teeth? Looks nice, good work.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:42 PM
Questio scientia
Texas
Joined Apr 2003
216 Posts
Fantastico!!! Well done Marc....yes indeed.
equest is offline Find More Posts by equest
Old Mar 05, 2010, 04:25 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Tuan,

I believe that another poster above said that to bridge the L & R as you have with the yellow (on the right) actually decreased the safety. I couldn't follow that logic though.

?
Probably hard to follow because you are too wrapped up in the wiring and not considering the whole aircraft. The redundancy comes from having 2 servos in each wing. If the left aileron servo fails then chances are you can still fly safely with the flap servo taking some of the strain, or visa versa.

With seperate feeds to each servo if a feed fails only that servo fails, you land and repair. With coupled feeds if one feed fails, you could argue that the redundance has worked and the model safely lands still with all 4 wing servos working. The problem lies in you will have no idea that one feed has failed -- until the second one goes -- resulting in a complete wing side freezing, and a much harder save. Redundancy needs to recognise failure.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:00 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
ISoar, we agree on having independent power wires to each servo. As illustrated in the drawing. The right drawing is the wing connector, to keep it simple I drew it as if looking straight down and straight through the connector.

The wing half does show 4 red lines, each a lead going to the servos. By bridging the pins on the DB9 it offers a little protection should one of the pins fail or any failure before that point. Of course it still won't tell you if one pin or wire fails until both fail, but the odds of that happening are 1/2 the odds of 1 pin failing which is quite small.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:21 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Nice skeg! I gotta try that carbon sock method some day. It looks sooo easy! I almost got carried away with the wet sanding and painting on the Eraser skeg when I realized that on the first flight, that skeg gets plowed into the ground. And with no grass to land in at our field .....so much for the nice paint job. :>)

Speaking of chasing weight, what's the weight difference between using a DB9 connector and, say, using two 4-pin Deans connectors? Just curious.

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:23 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
There are lots of plugs lighter than a DB9, that is for sure and the 4 pin Deans is one. If this ships was not designed for DB9 and made to plug and play in mating the wing, I would have gone to another lighter one. But it is what it is on that note.

The skeg, the sock is the way, cause I am sure no building guru. And ya, that paint job does not have to be world class. This one will be white.

Marc
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Could not stand it, great day for some pics, and yesterday I put on the graphics I got from Kirby Custom Graphics in Lebanon, OH. Dennis takes great care of me and the AMA number is one example. The "Cluster" is in a font that he did not have, Dennis took something close, and as he said, messaged it to get it close. It is not dead nuts, but close enough no one would ever notice, and I like it, and that is all that matters. He is also very reasonable, all this stuff, another AMA # and one other item were under $20.00. You can find Dennis and KCG at www.kirbysgraphics.com

Marc
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Nice, Very nice now for some flight reports

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 07, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Still no servos in the thing yet Joe, waiting for the High Voltage 378's and 388's to come in, should be in the next ten days.

I am about to bust, both from not flying and the cast thingy.

Marc