How about showing us some interesting paint designs on the Fun Jet
tonyjay is offline Find More Posts by tonyjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:01 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
83 Posts
Along with how to guides

Things like how to not get paint under the masking tape - or pull paint off with masking tape. What you coat the paint in to not scratch up too bad.

I'm going to try covering my new FJ (will be an experience as never done this so will see how hard it is to cover rounded objects without creasing...) in the next couple of weeks when I get the CF/HS65s I need for the build and some paints. Will see how this helps/hinders both painting and flying.

If there's any interest/activity in this post I'll take pics along the way to show how it turns out.
Pedroski is offline Find More Posts by Pedroski
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:50 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Here's a simple paint job on a FunJet - I used a yellow/black color scheme, and spray painted entire sections. No masking tape necessary. I sprayed the bottom of the wings and the entire canopy section black (except for the top canopy pieces), and sprayed the top of the wings/upper canopy pieces yellow. Spray paint used was Krylon Short-Cuts, which is safe for Elapor and pretty much every type of foam, including depron. I glassed with 2-3 coats of water-based Minwax Polycrylic (clear gloss) to bring out the color and add a nice finish. The polycrylic does well for protecting the paint underneath, and also adds some abrasion resistance to the bottom of the fuselage for those landings on rough/dry grass.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2005
104 Posts
Fun Jet Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjay
How about showing us some interesting paint designs on the Fun Jet
Thanks for ideas and info Thanks rcnewb....keep posting them this is really interesting and fun and a great help to a lot of us FunJet Fanatics. The Yellow and Black scheme looks good ,fairly easy to paint and easy to see in the sky ..well done.
The How To's will be very welcome indeed keep em comming, pic's as well.Thanks pedroski
The FunJet is just such a blast to fly and enjoy and although the White Plane with a few trims does look spectacular ..other colours and designs will increase the Fun aspect of it all and personalize the FunJet.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:28 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
tony -

Here's a brief How To:

Spray Painting:

Avoid acetone and other acid-based spray paints on Elapor. Only acid-free spray paint should be used. Krylon Short-Cuts is a safe option, there are others out there that work, but make sure you exercise due diligence when selecting paints.

Depending on your own preferences, some people prefer to "seal" the FunJet with water-based polycrylic (i.e. Minwax) before painting for a smoother paint surface. I have personally never applied any sort of clear coat prior to spray painting, I have always applied paint directly to the foam, then "glassed" afterwards.

Avoid spray painting inside your home - the fumes alone should deter you from doing so. Apply Krylon Short-Cuts using quick, brief sprays from approximately 6" away from the foam. Continue to apply light coats until the desired color is achieved. The paint might drip/run if over applied. The spray paint will dry to the touch in about 15-30 minutes.

Glassing/Finishing

Glassing can be accomplished in a number of ways, but I recommend applying a water-based Polycrylic directly to the paint in the case of a FunJet, as fiberglass cloth will simply add extra weight. Water-based Poly can be purchased at pretty much any store that sells paint and/or wood finishes.

For the first coat, apply the water-based Poly as thinly as possible. It will also dry to the touch quickly, sometimes in just a few minutes. However, let it dry for a couple of hours, then sand lightly with 220 grit (or finer), and apply a 2nd coat in the same way. You can add more coats as needed, but keep in mind that you are adding weight with each coat. If you are applying decals, it'll work out well if you add the decals after the first coat has dried, then apply the next coat of poly right over the decals. This helps in achieving a more uniform surface.

Water-based Poly will really bring out the color of your FunJet, it will also add a nice gloss and protect your FunJet from minor scratching/abrasions during harder landings on rough/dry grass.

Tape and other adhesives will easily pull off the paint and gloss from your FunJet, a solid week of dry time should make your paint/finish more durable, but you will still need to be careful around adhesives and tape.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
Biloxi Ms.
Joined Jan 2006
160 Posts
Hi TonyJay, I covered my Funjet with Econo-Kote and was very pleased with the results. Just take your time and it will look great.

Rich
schweig1959 is offline Find More Posts by schweig1959
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:52 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,261 Posts
Pictures after a MAJOR repair.

I have no trouble seeing this one in flight

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2005
104 Posts
Funjet Designs

AWESOME ...Some really beautiful FunJets , the yellow and black/orange looks AWESOME ... keep posting ideas and showing pic's please.......this is really exciting. KEEP POSTING
Last edited by tonyjay; Jun 22, 2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: text change
Old Jun 22, 2007, 06:57 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,300 Posts
Mine

Just used blue tape and spray paint. No one can see the blemishes when it's zooming by at hypersonic speed
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:01 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,300 Posts
BTW, the FJ's older big brother,TJ, is my avatar. Black and yellow is very visible in almost any type/time of day.

Juan
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:05 AM
Santee, CA.
Joined May 2006
376 Posts
Painters Touch from Home Depot...dries to a decent hard finish and easy to work with.

I dont sand the nubs off anymore or use a glass coat. Tape w/ regular masking tape.

santeepat is offline Find More Posts by santeepat
Last edited by santeepat; Dec 19, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:15 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,300 Posts
Santeepat, I was going to copy your paint scheme on mine. Shweet dude!

Juan
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
Joined Apr 2005
104 Posts
Funjet Designs

THIS RESPONSE IS REALLY PLEASING.....please keep posting thanks...
HOW ABOUT US STARTING UP A FUNJET CLUB......you know similar to the Porche club .. .let me know what your thoughts are please.
THIS RESPONSE IS REALLY PLEASING.KEEP POSTING !!!
Last edited by tonyjay; Jun 22, 2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Text change
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
funjet paintjob

hello fellas, here is my paintjob for the funjet.....also yesterday as i did serch after serch looking for a paint sceme for my new ducted fan model, i just found scattered posts at best. i thout rc groupes needed a new forum for this. i posted it for a new forum request, if anyone thinks is good, please go review it, and post a "yes" i think it would be great to gather all kinds of info on model finishing. tonyjay, nice topic for a thread....i hope you dont mind my post, actually if the forum is a reality, i would very much like your thread to be the first one in ther.....if you dont mind tony. peace, randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,836 Posts
Okay, this pic has more than just one plane, but the FJ is part of the group. The florescent orange stands out pretty good, but the green isn't as noticeable (wish I could have found some florescent purple Rustoleum). The larger orange surface on the AcroMaster REALLY stands out...especially head on. And no...no batteries required!

P.S. I hand colored in ~2" black checkerboard on the bottom of the wing with a Sharpie. The high contrast really makes the bottom of the FJ stand out in flight.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic