HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:34 PM
RC Addict
United States, IA, Marion
Joined Jul 2014
13 Posts
Build Log
Royal Kits P-51D

I picked this up at a local swap meet. I would say it's 75% built from sometime in the mid-80s. I intend to convert it to electric, refurbish the retracts, put servos in the wings for the ailerons and fly it as soon as humanly possible.

I'm always appreciative of any eyes that want to follow along...
peafittyone is offline Find More Posts by peafittyone
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:52 PM
United States, IA, Ida Grove
Joined Feb 2008
286 Posts
Awesome. Royal stuff is beautiful. Nothing like carving a model out of balsa. I've built two Corsairs and a Ki 43 with another Ki43 waiting. Would love to do a Zero or a Ki61 someday.
rleed is online now Find More Posts by rleed
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:11 PM
RC Addict
Joined Jul 2014
13 Posts
Well hello, fellow Iowan. thanks for the reply. Here's photographs of the fuse and wing:
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:10 PM
RC Addict
Joined Jul 2014
13 Posts
Hardware and amenities

I thought that I would run through some of the "guts" that I'm going to install: (I've found the forum great because you can almost find any airframe, and power/radio/hardware options that have worked for others. So, I hope to return the favor.) Plus, if anyone finds me doing something stupid, I welcome your comments!

Motor: AXI 4130/16
ESC: Mantis 80A Opto (I may get another so I have the option to go 8S)
Propeller: 14" Four Blade VarioProp (12C Hub)
Flight Battery: 6S, 2600 mAh LIPO
Voltage Regulator: Castle Creations BEC Pro 20A Switching Regulator
Receiver Battery: 2S, 2600 mAh LIPO
Servos: Qty. 5 Hitec HS-485HB for flight servos and pneumatic retract valve and qty. 1 Hitec HS-225MG for the gear doors.
Retracts: These came with the plane. They're old and unmarked. I think they're Robart. I've disassembled them and replaced the o-rings. Pressurized the entire system and it held pressure for 24 hours. I'm new to pneumatic retracts so those of you with experience feel free to chime in... I'm considering ordering an updated valve assembly that has the needle adjustments to slow the retracts down. I ordered an Assan (don't censor me, that's really the brand) sequencer from HK that will coordinate the retracts and gear doors. I want the gear doors to close when the mains are down. I believe the tail wheel retract is actually intended to be a nose gear but I'm using it anyway. I'll likely do an entire post on this. Finally, there's no provisions in the plans for main gear doors so I intend to design and scratch build those.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:17 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,503 Posts
... DEleted
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:49 PM
RC Addict
Joined Jul 2014
13 Posts
Retracts

As I've said, I spent some time rebuilding the retracts namely replacing all the old rings.I cleaned all of the crud out of them and used a wire brush on a 6 inch grinder to shine up the aluminum parts. Note that I only disassembled one at a time in the first picture so that I had to put them back to together correctly.

The other photo shows what I believe to be a nosewheel gear retract that I am altering to work on the tail wheel. I am mounting a servo as far back as possible and fuselage. Then with a pull pull system the levers visible on the gear I can steer it that way. I will also use another hole in to the servos arm to drive the rudder. I'll post some photos of this system next...