HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:19 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Making a 2/3AAA end-to-end receiver pack

I just finished making a 4 cell end-to-end pack of GP370 (2/3AAA cells). After removing the heat shrink, burnishing the ends, CA'ing back on the donut insulator, and tinning the ends, I used a 40watt hammer head iron to connect the cells. The iron was on the cells for less than 1/2 second and the cells were mated almost instantly after the iron was removed. The four cells appear to have a great bond between them (can not break them apart w/ low force).

A few questions. Any danger of damaging these little cells by over heating w/ the above technique? Also, the first charge of this pack took in over 900mah!?! The delta V cutoff was set at 0.05mV. Is this the correct setting or should it be lower?

Thanks
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:46 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
What charge rate were you using?

Unless you were using a very low charge rate, and the cell was just charging in a slow/trickle mode where the cell just bleeds off power with gentle warming, there's something wrong with 900mAh going in!!

I alway use 0.02V for Ni-Mh packs, and re-peak if the cell is not slightly warm. (temp is the most basic, yet most reliable, way to tell if a cell is charged!)

Soldering heat shouldn't be a problem, as I have many 650mAh 2/3AA packs soldered end-to-end which I have flown dozens of times in my MiG-15. (they're a bit bigger, but not much...)

Yikes
meteor is online now Find More Posts by meteor
Last edited by meteor; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:48 AM. Reason: addition...
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:21 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
I use the same GP cells for my EDF's. I ake all the packs as I buy the cells loose from a local bettery place. Haven't had any problems with them to date.
netmechanic is offline Find More Posts by netmechanic
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:45 PM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Update - changed the delta V cutoff to 0.03mV (the lowest you can go w/ the Triton) and the pack will not indicate that it is full (charger stays on until reaching 500mah, the hard limit I set). Discharge can pull out over 300mah from the pack. Weird that the pack keeps on taking a charge.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift