New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2015, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
Sports scale builder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Scale Masters quilifer Report.

So this weekend was the Final Scale Masters qualifying event before the championship in October.

We arrived at Bomber Field on Thursday, set up and got ready.

The conditions where not to bad but we did have a cross wind.

The first day was just getting ready as I have only a half dozen flights on this plane and no time to practice a routine.

I did get a couple flights in at the end of the day as the wind sat down, just to start working out the kinks.

First flight was short, just to get a feel of the field.

Take off was good, engine was running good, but the gear was still not going all the way in, so that needed some work. Landing was good but still haven't tried flaps.

Second flight was short and about the same, getting better with the landings.

On Friday it was windy with a direct cross coming at the pilots stations.

So I did some tweaking and not any flying until the afternoon around 7:00 when the wind sat down. I adjusted the 3P valve so my gear would close faster and my inner doors would close slower. This is all I could do.

I did try flaps and there was no issue so I landed with them, works good with full flaps as there was light to no wind by then.

Still could not tell if the gear was closing all the way but at this point I have to go with it as is.

The day of the event.

There was about 20 pilots for this qualifier. Most where first timers in the Pro/ Am sportsman beginner class and a few in Pro/Am sportsman pro class.

There were two export team entries,

One was a scratch built WW1 plane.

The other was a CARF P-47 with a Moki 250.

Static judging was only for export entries so only these two planes got judged.

It was interesting to see how this was done and all the things they were pointing out.

On this plane the lack of rivets and detail was a hit, and documentation was lacking from what I was hearing.
The CD of the event has over ten years of experience at scale masters and top gun so he was explaining what was needed to be competitive,. this was good info.

Flying was setup for 4 rounds and two judging flight lines. So two planes in the air at the same time.

Wind was not to bad but still a 90 dg. cross. Flying started around 10;00ish.
I got ready and filled out my cards. There are 10 maneuvers you need to perform, two are mandatory, take off and landing

So I needed to come up with a routine off the fly. I did not get to do any practicing or flying short of a few test flights.
I have yet to even roll or loop this plane.

So my routine went as fallows.

1. Take off
2. Fly past.
3. Dirty pass.
4. Axis Roll
5. Loop
6. Climbing turn
7. Imelman
8. Figure eight
9. Realism
10. Landing.

So I got in line and it was go time. yes I was nervous as I have yet to do any of the maneuvers short of take off and landing with this new plane.
My caller would call " begin maneuver" when I started the maneuver, and "end maneuver" when I was out of it. He would also coach me and set me up for the next. IF we where in clos proximity of the other plane he would call orbit and I went around to get separation.

I chose to take off from the grass as there was a good cross. So I rolled out and lined up. Begin maneuver was called and I advanced the plane slowly and it tracked strait as an arrow.

The pass and dirty pass was good.

Then the roll. I did a roll on the back side just to see what she did. It was good so I turned and lined up for the maneuver. You can do maneuvers on the back side and they count as realism so you have to stay in character.
Into the roll and it was ok, I dropped a bit after the roll.

Next was the loop, again a did it on the back side at altitude and then in front of the judges. It was ok but not having the time to trim for it or practice it was not that good.

Next came the Climbing turn, easy and clean but it all needs work. into the Imelman again a little drift on the up climb.

The figure eight was the hardest to keep centered in the judges, keeping elevation and chimerical turns, needs practice.

Now to the landing, I got it pretty good and it was nice and slow with a good stable line to a good stop.

I am getting use to the shinny affect.

Here are my scores from round one.

It was getting windy and the jet guys were having a hard time, one plane took out the judging station as they scattered and a plane hit the chairs.
So they had a meeting as this was just the beginning of round three and wanted to call it at two rounds. Those that did not get a second flight in could go now, so I did as I needed to, to qualify.

I got lucky as the wind sat down, so I fired up and rolled out to take off on the grass. I advanced and as soon a s my tail came up I got a nasty prop strike shattering my prop as I nosed over, no damage just a broken prop.

So I put on a new prop, but all I had was a 24x10, to small but I was only going to keep throttle at half stick.

So I went out and again it nosed over, but no damage to the prop. Restart and this time from the pavement.

Takeoff was good, overall it was not as good of a fun to me as the first. I came in a little hot and had a long roll and way at the end after the call of end maneuver I turned to sharp tearing off the right wheel from the hub and bending the strut leg, no damage otherwise.

Here are the scores from the second round.

All pilots qualified but for the one that crashed out into the pilots stand

This was a great experience in to competitive flying as there was no static judging for Pro/am class in qualifiers. In the championship there will be.

Thanks to Rick I get to see that my doors are closing and the gear is going all the way in. My tail wheel doors are a bit lazy so I will tighten them up.

I do have some work to do to get her ready for the big bird event next month at our field. Need to go over everything, fix the strut, and get a few things tweaked. I will practice as much a s I can so I will be better prepared for Octobers championships.

Just an FYI, Pro/ Am is staked with flyers, but there inexperience also puts them in a disadvantage as they are not use to scale flight, those that practice will do well. I will be moving up into the more builder of the model class as that will suet me best.

TB
Tonybuilder is offline Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2015, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
25,294 Posts
great news! im glad shes getting dialed in!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 04, 2015, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by MiikeeL
United Kingdom, Wolverhampton
Joined Dec 2014
113 Posts
I have been reading up on this build over the last few day and she's turned out such a beauty! Great work & dedication has gone into her, and seeing this build from where you started to a fully flying model is very inspiring!
Great work mate.
MiikeeL is offline Find More Posts by MiikeeL
Old Aug 04, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by pretendpilot
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
918 Posts
well i guess they should consider the flight maneuvers to be a true "scale" RC competition, but no static jusdging for beginner, sporstsman?! that seems a bit weird to me for such an event - almost sounds a little IMAC. to say that they have static judges at the championships but not in qualifiers, means that a builder with skill, that might score highly in that area, is going to lose all credit and be at a huge disadvantage to a flyer. as a result, the builder may never make it to the finals/championships. it is saying that the flying is the most important thing for the beginner/sports class, but that all changes for the expert class.
rather confusing. an "expert" indicates someone who has advanced past beginner/sports. how does a builder advance? sounds like the only path is to "skip"?
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Aug 04, 2015, 12:12 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Honestly I too was a little disapointed that they don't do static judging for Pro/AM. The goal was to advance all pilots to qualify providing they flew and did not crash out. One of the export class pilots said, everyone gets a trophy. If you go, fly and don't crash your qulified in Pro/AM. I did not have documentation so I could not enter in export class. It is my understanding you need at minimum a pic of your plane to show it existed for Pro/AM and you get static judging but I'm not sure. I want to compeat in BOM export class and will have my documentation for the championship, but won't stand a chance agents the bigger builds.

TB
Old Aug 04, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by pretendpilot
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybuilder View Post
Honestly I too was a little disapointed that they don't do static judging for Pro/AM. The goal was to advance all pilots to qualify providing they flew and did not crash out. One of the export class pilots said, everyone gets a trophy. If you go, fly and don't crash your qulified in Pro/AM. I did not have documentation so I could not enter in export class. It is my understanding you need at minimum a pic of your plane to show it existed for Pro/AM and you get static judging but I'm not sure. I want to compeat in BOM export class and will have my documentation for the championship, but won't stand a chance agents the bigger builds.

TB
ahhh, ok, if the idea is to PASS everyone that can do basic flight, then i can understand. i guess those classes will be huge at the championships, which might be the objective - develop more interest by exposure. plus, at that commitment level, who knows how many folks are no-shows at the finals.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by edwin1
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
3,302 Posts
I was there with Tony. It was pretty easy to be critical of the rules, I was too, until the reason became glaringly obvious. To not qualify you pretty much have to run into the judges, which DID happen. With about an 8mph 90deg cross wind a pilot went sideways and his plane nailed the judges chairs. Everyone there scattered and no one was hurt. He is the only guy that did not qualify. So they're thinning out the ones that need to work on their flying before going to the masters.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Aug 05, 2015, 06:49 AM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Estimated 150 pilots go to the championship. I would think there is a system of eliminations working towards the final. Yes the Pro/am division is staked with flyers, not builders.

IB
Old Aug 05, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by jhaywood
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
ProAm at Top Gun is the same way. If you have proof that your plane existed in the color scheme that you present, you get 25 static points. There is no BOM rule in ProAm there either. The only real limitations are that are not supposed to be any film covered planes and no stock ARFs. If you fly an ARF, such TopFlite on Hangar 9, it has to be stripped, glassed, painted and otherwise not recognizable at the ARF it started life as.
ProAm is great place to fly planes like the TopFlite kits since they will be murdered if they static judged unless they are HIGHLY modified from stock.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:34 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
So is the static for pro/am automatic 25 points and no judging? And only export classes get judged?

TB
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
Pro-am is automatic 25 points if you have proof that your chosen scheme really existed.
Expert, Designer, Team, and Unlimited are all static judged. The average of your three highest flight scores is added to your static score to determine finishing position. The winners normally have 97+ static and 96+ avg flight scores. A really good static can save your bacon in the event of a couple of 'off' rounds.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 10:18 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Best get my flying in order.

TB
Old Aug 07, 2015, 07:43 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
The Pro-am guys usually have 98+ flight scores. At TG, you will be competing against lots of jets that are packed with 3axis gyros. This year the gyros didn't have the advantage that they normally do since there wasn't the normal 20 knot crosswind. Count on there being a strong crosswind at TG if you choose to go there.
Judges are normally very tough, but consistent.