HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 14, 2006, 07:52 PM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Build Log
Ebay Madness. I bought a challenger..

It was only really that I couldn't bear to see it going so cheap...

Anyone built these? Electrified one? Am torn between speed 400 and long can, deep geared with BIG prop..

NO idea when I will get time to actually build the thing..

Ugly brute as well...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Last edited by vintage1; Feb 25, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:32 AM
Registered User
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2003
74 Posts
Wow! pretty cool! I really like the oldtimers. I am surprised to see so few people interested in them? It seems like nobody wants to spend any time building anything these days? Are we going to run out of sources for nice kits?
MG
fly2mike is offline Find More Posts by fly2mike
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 03:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2004
247 Posts
sorry to say this but the challenger was the most horrendous kit i ever bought, no wonder it was cheap at a swap meet!

the wingtip parts were significantly smaller than the plan, the wood would be better employed as shelving etc.etc.some wood was missing.

mine came out quite tail heavy so i had to use larger wheels to bring the cg forward
bolmas is offline Find More Posts by bolmas
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolmas
sorry to say this but the challenger was the most horrendous kit i ever bought, no wonder it was cheap at a swap meet!

the wingtip parts were significantly smaller than the plan, the wood would be better employed as shelving etc.etc.some wood was missing.

mine came out quite tail heavy so i had to use larger wheels to bring the cg forward
Was yours a Ben Buckle?

Forewarned is forearmed..I can easily sub wood or recut ribs if necessary..it looked to me like it needed a bit of noseweight also..guess that means bigger motor and pack well forward.

Twasn't a swap meet - it was Ebay...

How did it fly? Dihedral looks MASSIVE.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:39 PM
Registered User
Airboatflyingshp's Avatar
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Challenger

#Hi Vint was it the full sized BB version or the reduced one I saw more recently??
S480 4;1 gear box at least and she should be waddle around the sky like an old goose...
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 15, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2004
247 Posts
i am afraid it was a bent and buckled kit.i used everything as supplied apart from the wing tip pieces and the airframe alone was 21 ounces covered in airspan.i kept the 5 inch dihedral under each tip and it flew a treat. you may be wise to reduce it a little if using radio.
bolmas is offline Find More Posts by bolmas
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
#Hi Vint was it the full sized BB version or the reduced one I saw more recently??
S480 4;1 gear box at least and she should be waddle around the sky like an old goose...
allo mate. It is about 50" span I think...sounds like a long can is the brute to bung in.

I've got a 3:1 box on a permax 480. That will do. 9x6 maybe 10x7 I should think. On 3s LIPO

Motocalc says about 30oz AUW with 3s 2200 LIPO, about an hour duration, and the usual Vintage1 700 fpm climbrate..

That won't be waddling..that will be taking off faster than a lawyer that's spotted Dick Cheney..

Problem will be getting enough weight forward..oh well. I like a challenge
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:53 PM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolmas
i am afraid it was a bent and buckled kit.i used everything as supplied apart from the wing tip pieces and the airframe alone was 21 ounces covered in airspan.i kept the 5 inch dihedral under each tip and it flew a treat. you may be wise to reduce it a little if using radio.
I could go down to 3 degees or so if necessary...probly go for about 5. Thats about 2.5" under each tip..

21 oz bare sounds reasonable...I get 32oz AUW and a stall speed around 14mph.

Sounds perfect.

Does it have washout built in?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Airboatflyingshp's Avatar
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Gaining balance and avoiding drunken Dutchmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
allo mate. It is about 50" span I think...sounds like a long can is the brute to bung in.

That won't be waddling..that will be taking off faster than a lawyer that's spotted Dick Cheney..

Problem will be getting enough weight forward..oh well. I like a challenge
Try a Big Domed Brass spinner nut Ive got one that would alter the G of G of a majestic major . and terrifies foam park flies
The wheels are the other area where you can add wt without it being completely useless dead wt.

Question .......its a bit mad but novices, drunks and fools and all that ...has anyone ever built a model with a wing split at the centre but joined with a hinge on the underside in such a way that you could insert a full chord wedge to alter the dihedral......?? A couple of rigid connector across the top surface would hold it in and stop any desire to fold under.
I remember one vintage that did it for storage and a trainer called Loneranger that had folding dihedral tips for the same reason

It was a Partridge wasnt it Cheney was supposed to be shooting not Old Buzzards ??? It could have been worse it might have been a Supreme court Judge
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 15, 2006 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:24 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I've built enough similar models to know pretty much what a given dihedral will make it fly like.

No need for adjustment...I think adjustable dihedral is asking for trouble..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
has anyone ever built a model with a wing split at the centre but joined with a hinge on the underside in such a way that you could insert a full chord wedge to alter the dihedral......??
The JK Aerotech Big-T wing is like that. It folds down for storage. Some people do insert a wedge of foam to reduce the dihedral. But that is a big thick wing made from pink foam and coroplast. It is held together on the top with packing tape for flight, and secured to the plane with a large quantity of rubber bands. Works fine on that plane, but I'm not so sure I'd want to try it with a balsa model. Might be workable if the area around the joint was fully sheeted?
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Airboatflyingshp's Avatar
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
un hinged or hinged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman
The JK Aerotech Big-T wing is like that. It folds down for storage. Some people do insert a wedge of foam to reduce the dihedral. But that is a big thick wing made from pink foam and coroplast. It is held together on the top with packing tape for flight, and secured to the plane with a large quantity of rubber bands. Works fine on that plane, but I'm not so sure I'd want to try it with a balsa model. Might be workable if the area around the joint was fully sheeted?
Hi Brian I went back to my books it was the Good Brothers on their original RC designs Guff 8ft span and Goodship it was featured in Aitrails...their system used 4 V shaped Paxolin plates to form two hinges attached to the main and rear spars hinging below and bolting up above --<->-- As an idea it has some merit if for storage/transport alone.
The book was Vintage model aeroplanes by Peter Russell Argus books isbn 0-85242-99-7.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
Wayward Pilot
JREEVES's Avatar
USA, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Sep 2001
826 Posts
Nice birds fellas! I love the looks of all the old timers. If you need nose weight you might consider lopping the head from an old McCoy and gluing atop that can motor! I'm considering it myself for the nose of my Buccaneer.

Jim
JREEVES is offline Find More Posts by JREEVES
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 03:44 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JREEVES
Nice birds fellas! I love the looks of all the old timers. If you need nose weight you might consider lopping the head from an old McCoy and gluing atop that can motor! I'm considering it myself for the nose of my Buccaneer.

Jim
Aha. That would be fn. This one as supposed to have about a .15 up front...so I'll see if any scrap 15s turn up on ebay
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 05:44 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Cody's Neighbour's Avatar
Ash Vale Hampshire UK
Joined Jul 2004
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Aha. That would be fn. This one as supposed to have about a .15 up front...so I'll see if any scrap 15s turn up on ebay
Vintage1,

The motor is so prominent on the model I think you'll just have to fit a dummy of some kind. You could have an old (seized) MDS19 I've got in my junk box, send me a PM if you want it.

Are you going to do an on-line build like you did with the Magic?

Bert
Cody's Neighbour is offline Find More Posts by Cody's Neighbour
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools