HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:18 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Martin FANTASTIC!! I knew I would convince you That wasn't hard
From what I've found there's no BALSA build on any sites of this plane and I tried to find the build of the one in the video that Christan built w/ no luck.
I have a little info from the web on some tec. Data of the BV-138 and a few old time black &white photos of rather good Qt. But we'll be very limited on good photos because there's not any of these planes still fully intact.I think they only made 297 of these total in all variances. I've been looking at the photos you sent me of the plans and have already started to come up w/ a build plan but I really won't be able to get down to brass tacks until I have them in front of me. Now where do we post this build it was a Warbird, Sea plane, and this one is going to be large scale We'll figure that on out also soon enough.

And yes I'm still going to finish the PBY in fact it's moving along rather nicely once I finish the inside of the second float leg and detail it up the wing will get put together fully for the first time maybe by the weekend.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
There are plans available?
I like plans Sometimes I even build
Got a link as to where to get them?
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Rick I'm not sure about the availability of them?

Well today was CLEAN the whole shop day
I knew I had an large order coming in today and in that order was my new
11x7 props and TruTurn prop nuts.

And since I'll be having a visitor from down under coming in a few weeks It seemed to be the right thing to do.

So since I was doing all of that I thought I would put on the
wings, cowlings,props & prop nuts and see how this baby was looking.

This is the first time I've put them on at all and they look spot on there a few spots I'll have to address but for the most part she's looking smooth true and lean.

I'm bunched in the corners to take most of the shots i don't know how I'll ever get photos of the whole VB-138 w/ a wing span 2 1/2 feet longer and 8 foot fuse.

That's what the box of wood is mostly for and more on the way and a bit more to order.

Have a look,

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Buddha
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Looks like the day you moved in. I'm sure it tokk all day to get it that way. The PBY looks terrific.

Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Martin View Post
Looks like the day you moved in. I'm sure it tokk all day to get it that way. The PBY looks terrific.

Rick
Yea it took most of the day and some more of the stuff will have to go up high or in the closet once I start the BV-138 it will fill this room fast.

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Well today was CLEAN the whole shop day
I've got to have one of those days sometime soon.
Rick
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I've got to have one of those days sometime soon.
Rick
I know I couldn't find any thing and the floor was covered and I had just cleaned the week before.

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
499 Posts
The BV-138 will make the Catalina look small! As far as posting as a warbird, seaplane, etc........I haven't been on this board that long but is it possible to simultaneously post in three places or is that against the rules?
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
The BV-138 will make the Catalina look small! As far as posting as a warbird, seaplane, etc........I haven't been on this board that long but is it possible to simultaneously post in three places or is that against the rules?
No we can post on all three I'm posting here and water planes at the same time. some people don't look every place so you have to go there.
I'm also posting on two other sites for three planes soon to be four.

What the heck it's all fun.
This will be the largest bird I've done the Stinson SR9 was only 100" WS.

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
It would require having a thread in each place. You would not be able to post and have it show up in all three places at the same time. Each thread would require it's own post.
Rick
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
It would require having a thread in each place. You would not be able to post and have it show up in all three places at the same time. Each thread would require it's own post.
Rick
That is what I do I copy paste quite a bit so not to have to repeat my self 6-9 times each time I post, the photos can be a challenge sometimes though.

Bruce
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:07 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
499 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rick.........I'm sure Bruce will post more than I do! Sometimes I think he should have surgery and have his camera grafted to the top of his head! But how nice for guys who'd like to learn how to build....................
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
You mean like this Martin.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:15 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,257 Posts
While I had this idea in my head (not the camera) I wanted to get the wing bolts figured out, The 3/16 x 32 cap head bolt will slide into a plastic tube and thread into a T-nut on a slight angle. the locator dowel, Alum tube, carbon fiber tube will keep everything lined up. Here's the start of side one have a look.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,074 Posts
NICE Merlyn Lock!
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member