Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:11 AM
BARCS 1901 BMFA S176 R-0200004
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Jeddah
Joined May 2011
78 Posts
Help!
Build queries - potting servos, adjusting joiner pocket

Hi,
I'm in the middle of building a NAN Tracer and have a couple of queries.

1) I'm thinking of potting the fuselage servos using Gorilla Glue. I've used this method for wing servos in the past but not in a fuzz. Any thoughts, advice, warnings?

2) I've also got a little difficulty with one of the wing pockets. The joiner fits perfectly in one pocket - very smooth interference fit where you can feel the displaced air slowly slide out. The other side doesn't and is very tight. So tight that it's impossible to fully locate the joiner. And then very difficult to pull the bar out. I've felt inside the pocket with my fingers (as far as they will go) and can feel a few very small raised iimperfections. Not ridges but like tiny specks of grit and I guess these are the cause. I have attempted to sand then out with a little silicon carbide paper and this has eased the fit a little. Still, however, not perfect. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
kiss the sky is offline Find More Posts by kiss the sky
Last edited by kiss the sky; Dec 31, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:10 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
301 Posts
tight joiner

Keep sanding the joiner until it fits easily. It will swell in the summer sun and if it is a tight fit now it will be impossible to remove when it is hot. I always sand the corners down on a joiner and then give the surface a light scuff and fit it in the wing several times. That will show rub spots on both the joiner and the box which can be sanded to provide for a better fit.
Also mark the joiner so you use it the same way all the time.
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:30 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,434 Posts
Always sand the joiner with very fine paper...like 600 or 800 wet...and put the paper down on a flat hard surface, then work the joiner sides across it. It won't take much and you can't put back what you take off, so work slowly. What Martin said about gently easing the corners will help too.

As to potting fuse servos in, I can see no reason whatsoever to do that when a tray will allow the servos to be screw-mounted and serviceable.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
BARCS 1901 BMFA S176 R-0200004
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Jeddah
Joined May 2011
78 Posts
Thanks Mart/Tom. Am proceeding with caution and fine wet paper.

Potting servos was largely the result of a sleepless night's ramblings and considering the idea of mounting them on their sides. Sanity came with the dawn and they are now installed on a ply tray.

Hoping for decent weather now...

Late News... Root of the pocket problem - one pocket 1/4 inch less deep than the other! After a little sanding, the joiner slid in with a satisfying clunk - showing the joiner was just a little too long. All OK now.
kiss the sky is offline Find More Posts by kiss the sky
Last edited by kiss the sky; Dec 31, 2012 at 01:38 PM.