HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Hi Dag: The battery pack will be lost inside this bird!!
Could you tell me what the prop size is and expected power (watts at amps). I know you'll have already got an estimate if not test results.
This is going to look superb in the air, my friend. It also good to hear you will be getting a little more time soon for family and the hobby. Doug B
Hey Doug,

Actually I know about 99% what it will be. I am using the same power system as I have in the Emmaselle 1919. The only thing I am changing is the prop. The Emmaselle had a 28-15, I am going to be using a 30-12. I might even test a 32-10. On my Emmaselle I pulled about 130 amps (about 4890 watts) on take of and cruised about 80 amps (2880 watts). I am guessing it will be about the same. I bet when all done she will be about 130 watts per pound, after all she is a racer.

Hope that helps....

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post respnse to my questions. I was trying to guess in relation to the cowl, but it overloaded my brain - hehe.
Will the racer be lighter than Emmselle? It should presnt far less drag in the air, being of smooth fuse.
I really enjoy watching your builds, the logic and organized speed tell me you are one of a very few capable. Rock on!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
848 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you going down in pitch on an air racing type plane vs the Emmselle? Seems you would want more pitch and not less for greater speed.

Just curious,

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:10 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you going down in pitch on an air racing type plane vs the Emmselle? Seems you would want more pitch and not less for greater speed.

Just curious,

SunDevilPilot
I want to turn a larger diameter prop to look more scale as the fuse is a big ol fat pig. Every inch of prop diameter I add I drop a pitch, at least until I get down to 10. Right now a 28-14 pulls about the max amps I want on my system. A 32-10 would look much better, but I bet I live with a 30-12...

Rock on!!!
DAG
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:18 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,169 Posts
I.e., he's not interested in it flying fast, he wants it to fly well, and the way he wants it to.
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Well today is one of the greatest days in my aviation life. After 10 years of never being happy with making a good fiberglass mold I did it!!!!

I am so out of this world happy

One reason I went this route was to prove I could do this for my C130 nose and nacelles. Well guess what baby, my C130 will be my next project after the 36. And now my cowling for my B-36 will have new molds.

I had a very long week with my company, but spent all Friday night and about 5 hours today and BANG!!! Got her done. Nuf said.

DAG
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,698 Posts
Looking great Dag!! Keep up the good work....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Nice work dag

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Glad to see the Project Manager is still keeping a check on your work, Damon!! She must be just a leeeetle bit disappointed that she's too big to sit in it now!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,409 Posts
Quote:
She must be just a leeeetle bit disappointed that she's too big to sit in it now!!!
... At least until she can fly it
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Nice work dag

J
Thanks!!!!!!!

DAG
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
[QUOTE=Colonel Blink;23306435]Glad to see the Project Manager is still keeping a check on your work, Damon!! She must be just a leeeetle bit disappointed that she's too big to sit in it now!!![/QUOTE]

Funny you say that, she asked me to make sure when she gets older to build her a real plane one day. So when she is flying fullscale she has a EII.

DAG
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Looking great Dag!! Keep up the good work....

SteveT
Thanks, Dag
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
You project manager has grown so much and I am sure that Emma will be flying her own plane soon.
I am still befuddled by what you can get done in what seems like just a few hours. You and my bride are about the same. When she starts a quilting project, she is 200% focused on doing it and that is all she does from sun up till nearly bed time. She made, assembled, quilted a quilt in just about 5 days. She designed it, cut the fabric, sewed all the pieces together, then made the back, put the whole thing on her long arm quilting machine and it was done.
So when you started the EII everything got done quickly, or so it seems and now the rest is coming together quite will.

Looks like you got all the design work done for a full scale EII and Emma will have her own plane built by truly gifted Dad. Emma is so lucky.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a great one. You got a lot to be thankful for.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014