Very nice! Congrats.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:36 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,748 Posts
Thanks guys. It just gets better and better. I also found my nosewheel issue so thats fixed now. Think shes starting to get dialed in. Im still finding it amazing how it lands. With all the horror stories of F18s on landing I didnt expect this....
Pepperpete is online now Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:01 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
Nice flight... she looks great, sounds great
lands like butter
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:32 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,399 Posts
Your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
I would also like to know. The ducting on this bird is so severe going to the fan that I cant help thinking it would be better without it.

Pete, Ron, you both have seen my intake rebuild.
It seems my quest for scale authenticity on intake shape, has left me with no alternatives -- No intake ducting, and go with a "Ring" .
This was an old KMP kit designed for a pusher!. Smaller than both the SkyMater and Y/A @ L = 65", WS= 46.5 (cutting new cores). Will also have removable wings, using same/similar hardware that are used on yours. Former locations are spot on compared with Y/A single - based on % difference ion size. CG is at first former -F3. Not to dissimilar than either the Y/A of SkyMaster

I just used FFF to make the templates --much cheaper than screwing up expensive ply! Fan seems to be as far back as possible, so what's your thought on making an extension from fan to first former, the go with intake ring?? ( there are some "gaps" right now in intake set-up, but when all fuse sections are finally joined , they be gone)

BTW-- This will be fully glassed outside, and some inside w/ CF where needed.. Just weighed fuse with H-V stabs 18.5oz With ply formers, glassing and all components- shooting for around 11 lb.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:29 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
Cooler why not move the forward former back to the fan and mount the inlet ring to the fan?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:41 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,357 Posts
Well done! I wish you had a paved runway for a scale-like takeoff...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:48 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
cooler I'm a believer in full ducting if at all possible (sometimes it's not)
do you need that forward former?
what if you just had a brace under the fan rail going down to the fuse, then make up some smooth ducting to the fan
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:04 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,399 Posts
YES Ron I do. That's where 1st spar set mounts.
Quote:
I'm a believer in full ducting if at all possible (sometimes it's not)
--- Me too.
Just recall how/what on your build--- ties into F-3 and F-4.. TGoodwin had a work around in his build- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=31

Bob,

This "kit" has been modded numerous times, yet no one has ever done a SCALE INTAKE???..Even Y/A and SkyMaster haven't done it for a "C" variant....So I guess I'm the first., so will see how it all works out

This will be built just like the Y/A single .

I'm using the Y/A single manual to build this from Got all the measurements of all formers converted to my scale-- this will also have same removable wing as does Y/A ( already have wing spar sets and canopy--no going back now) Also retracts - it's all about location! CG is right at former F-3--
I have the airfoil for it also ( will be cutting new cores) , and because my fuse is narrower , WS will only be 46.5"

But I do need to go over them again to check for any errors
I always measure multiple times, B-4 I ever cut anything!

No way could I build this as a "C" variant, with the nasty intakes it came with-

While not perfect, it's damn sight better than it was!
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-DSCN0099.jpg

I'm sure this the first of may issues I'll encounter! .. but all are solvable..
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Sep 15, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:27 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Well done! I wish you had a paved runway for a scale-like takeoff...
You and me both. I'm just glad I have a runway at all that is maintained. It's not exactly...smooth...at all. But it's all I've got!
Pepperpete is online now Find More Posts by Pepperpete