SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
402 Posts
I do hope switching to the new design after the beta period is optional. I just can't get into the new colors and font, and I have a pretty strong preference for the current look.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver View Post
How do i get out of this beta i want to go back to the norm I cant stand it ?
Scroll ALLLLLL the way to the bottom of your screen and you will see the different styles there.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
I just don't like it. The colors or layout, something triggers eye rejection. Looks like I'll be doing more building and less surfing. Silver lining in a cloud I guess.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
563 Posts
I'll be impressed if mine shows up before St. Paddy's Day. GP has got their main competition to thank for setting my expectations so low when it comes to shipping.
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
Scroll ALLLLLL the way to the bottom of your screen and you will see the different styles there.
Thanks much better
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
You are asking for opinions but you do not seem to be listening !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
You are asking for opinions but you do not seem to be listening !
Thanks lake, I thought I was the only one who thought that. Guess we are getting the 'improved' version whether we want it or not.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
no response from banana hobby

today, feb 01, 2012, i have not been able to contact banana hobby. Live chat is down and one contact phone number has been disconnected. The customer service number has been busy all day(not the usual recording of 25 min wait when you call in). Does anyone know if they are still in business?
ericson27 is offline Find More Posts by ericson27
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
I do hope switching to the new design after the beta period is optional. I just can't get into the new colors and font, and I have a pretty strong preference for the current look.
It wont be optional, its a better design but like all redesigns it takes getting used to for the users that are accustomed to the old. This is why they have the "beta" period. It gives them a chance to fix some major problems users dont like as well as let those users get used to the new design.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:16 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
It wont be optional, its a better design but like all redesigns it takes getting used to for the users that are accustomed to the old. This is why they have the "beta" period. It gives them a chance to fix some major problems users dont like as well as let those users get used to the new design.
Right. I'm sure the people behind New Coke and Netflix Qwikster felt the same way.

Not all redesigns are improvements, and beta periods don't help when the goal itself is flawed. I'm curious about the impetus for the redesign. I've never read any complaints about the appearance of RCG (well, not until I read some of the comments about the new design in this thread).

The existing design is kind of boring, and that's perfect. I think it's one of the reason RCG is so popular: It stays out of the way and lets the content get the attention. It lacks some features, and I can certainly see why you would want to make improvements there, but that seems to be what has been ignored. Instead, the focus has been on cosmetic changes that actually detract from the experience. That's not to say it's ugly. It's not, but the bold colors and high contrast are more like ads. You do know how popular ads are, don't you?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
Right. I'm sure the people behind New Coke and Netflix Qwikster felt the same way.

Not all redesigns are improvements, and beta periods don't help when the goal itself is flawed. I'm curious about the impetus for the redesign. I've never read any complaints about the appearance of RCG (well, not until I read some of the comments about the new design in this thread).

The existing design is kind of boring, and that's perfect. I think it's one of the reason RCG is so popular: It stays out of the way and lets the content get the attention. It lacks some features, and I can certainly see why you would want to make improvements there, but that seems to be what has been ignored. Instead, the focus has been on cosmetic changes that actually detract from the experience. That's not to say it's ugly. It's not, but the bold colors and high contrast are more like ads. You do know how popular ads are, don't you?

As I said the point of the beta period is to identify any problem or issues people have with the redesign. When it came out a lot of people complained about the fixed width of the forum that was previously elastic. Now you can choose between both. This was by far the main issue with the redesign.

You do realise that plenty of websites redesign because they need to keep an updated a modern look in order to attract new members and they need to make it easier for new users to find content. The old rcroups style was functional but the style was exactly the same as any default php forum template with a phew changes to the header so it was pretty boring. The layout of rcgroups hasent actually changed a great deal, if it did plenty of rcgroups members like you would be up in arms about how you want it back so mostly yes the redesign was mostly cosmetic and theres nothing wrong with that. Trust me you probably hate the design now but it just takes time until you end up prefering it.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
402 Posts
Ah well, I tried. I recommend a conservative five to ten year beta period, just to be on the safe side.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,601 Posts
Styleish

Thank you ....I just bottomed out the page,clicked on 'style',and I comfortable again.If we all do that,maybe they'll get the message..or if you like the new style, stay there.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
As I said the point of the beta period is to identify any problem or issues people have with the redesign. When it came out a lot of people complained about the fixed width of the forum that was previously elastic. Now you can choose between both. This was by far the main issue with the redesign.

OK there is nothing wrong with fixing something like that. Making use of all the available real estate is admirable.

You do realise that plenty of websites redesign because they need to keep an updated a modern look in order to attract new members and they need to make it easier for new users to find content.

Who says the look needed to change? What a waste of manpower resources. Fixing problems or adding features is one thing but changing the look just to be "MODERN" is a waste.

The old rc groups style was functional but the style was exactly the same as any default php forum template with a phew changes to the header so it was pretty boring.

Exactly, the style was functional. I come to RCGroups for function not glamor. When the "STYLE" gets in the way of function it is of no use to me.

The layout of rc groups hasn't actually changed a great deal, if it did plenty of rcgroups members like you would be up in arms about how you want it back so mostly yes the redesign was mostly cosmetic and there's nothing wrong with that. Trust me you probably hate the design now but it just takes time until you end up preferring it.
That is my point. Making cosmetic changes just for the sake of keeping up to date is a waste of resources. Spend the money on functional changes.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2003
1,187 Posts
I too find the dark blue distracting and like the old style but that's just what I'm use to. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

RCG's is still the best, it's the knowledge of the members and the unlimited amount of info you can find here that make it so very useful.

I use to check out Wattflyer.com once in awhile but it seems like most members there are newbies compared to RCG's. Sorry Wattflyer.

One thing I really miss is how you use to be able to scroll through the photos in a 500 page thread. You could look at a photo and see 5 photos below it at the bottom of the page and click on "next 5 photos" to scroll thru the photos in that thread. You could really cover some ground but now viewing / finding a photo takes some time.

David
dfemmert is offline Find More Posts by dfemmert