HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Discussion
Krylon Fusion or ???? for iron on covering?

I know that painting iron on covering has been covered many times before on the forums over the years but the stuff I've researched have been threads/posts way back in 2002 to 2005 so just wondering if anything has changed. Couple of questions:

1. I've gotten the impression that Krylon fusion is the best good for painting iron on covering if you don't want to prime or scuff. (I want to keep that sheen that the covering has)

Anyone recommend any paint that they think is BETTER for this purpose? I've done painting warbirds before where the scuffing isn't a problem since you want a matte finish but for this purpose (keeping the sheen) the scuffing probably won't be appropriate ... or can one get a shiny finish even if one scuffs?

2. What about reshrinking the painted surface going forward ... would Krylon Fusion also be best for this ... and if so what would be the method ... heat gun ... no iron?

Colin.
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,409 Posts
When we used to paint cars and motorcycles, we would sand with 400 grit sandpaper just before the color coat, to give the color coat some tooth to stick to. We could get finishes that looked wet, long after they were dry (they were that shiny).

An iron will tend to show ANY wood grain under the covering. A heat gun will allow the covering to shrink more smoothly.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
When we used to paint cars and motorcycles, we would sand with 400 grit sandpaper just before the color coat, to give the color coat some tooth to stick to. We could get finishes that looked wet, long after they were dry (they were that shiny).

Les
Hey Les, thanks for your response but this is iron on plastic covering we're talking about here. The standard method seems to be scuffing with scotchbrite (or something similar) and my experiences have been that even that will leave a slightly textured surface no matter how even I tried to "scuff" it.

This results in a slightly matte finish when painted. Now granted I'm not an expert in painting ANYTHING by any means, but that has been my experience ... hence my post for others' experiences!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:15 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,409 Posts
"Hey Les, thanks for your response but this is iron on plastic covering we're talking about here"

Paint is paint. Takes practice and technique to get it right.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda