Closed Thread
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:39 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I use Super for file conversions, it can take a MOV file and convert direct to WAV, just select WAV as output container.

But here's an easier way, play the file using GOM. You can start and end while watching the flyby on the screen. Just need to select Advanced Audio Capture (it's not advanced, pretty simple..)
The functionality that ApexAero was looking for is just one program that can load the .MOV file, clip it, convert to .AVI and also save the sound as .WAV file. I just happen to look at the most recent version of AnyVideoConverter, and it can do all these in one program. It also can set custom profiles for the output, which is necessary to match what the camera is producing. A pretty nice package. I tried the new version, and one thing I could not get to work as it says is the re-joining of clipped sections from one source video. The merging function is ghosted out, and it saves them all out as separate clips. I guess if you were going to process further in WMM like ApexAero, this is not much of a concern since they can be loaded separately and merged in WMM.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post
Hi,

As I said many times:
SIMPLE IS THE BEST

Box: TIC TAC
Front glass: cut from Ferrero candy box or any other non scratched
transparent plastic (glued with epoxy two components glue,...)

For underwater use must be sealed with flexible "electric" tape.
20 Meters tested !

Enjoy.
Do you turn it on before you seal it or are you able to manipulate the buttons thru the TicTac case?

It may be a solution for my mounting under the wing and it's touchy, hair trigger buttons. Many times I've turned the camera on and then secured it to the mount and turned it off accidently and came up with no video of a particular flight. Frustrating to say the least.

I don't want to mount inverted and have to flip the video during post processing. No good reason that's just me

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I just happen to look at the most recent version of AnyVideoConverter, and it can do all these in one program.
Seems these things keep popping up every day!!! That one sounds good, I'll try it too.

Tested on "crossing the bridge" was 51MB, recoded to Xvid at 6000kbs 30fps gives 43MB file, quality looks good!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Feb 01, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: tested
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt View Post
My camera arrived yesterday and definitely seems to have the uneven focus issue that has cropped up in the thread from time to time. While focus at centre and the top seems OK, the bottom and left of the picture are noticeably out of focus.

Is this becoming a broad-based issue with these cameras? I've had a #3 808 since they were released, and followed the general keyfob thread throughout, but don't recall anyone raising uneven focus as a problem.

Second, did we ever determine whether this was a lens or chip issue? I've seen both suggested.

Dave
I think more people are looking for this now that some of us had mentioned it here. Don't know if it has been there on many cameras all along and not felt an issue by many who have it, or if there are more cameras showing this now.

I suggested a process for determining if it's a lens or CMOS chip alignment issue. Not many have posted on their findings. My gut feel is the CMOS sensor chip is not being fully seated in its precision plastic lens mount module, or the module is not precision molded to begin with. If it were a lens issue, the blurry area would move as the lens is rotated, unless the lens were cross-threaded, and that should be visibly detected just by looking at the lens in it's plastic module. It would be visibly cocked if cross threaded, and the focus would be a lot further out than what we are seeing, I think. Also, it seems the mal-focus is along the lower edge of the video in most of the cases that have been posted here, which hints at a common cause.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:59 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Do you turn it on before you seal it or are you able to manipulate the buttons thru the TicTac case?

It may be a solution for my mounting under the wing and it's touchy, hair trigger buttons. Many times I've turned the camera on and then secured it to the mount and turned it off accidently and came up with no video of a particular flight. Frustrating to say the least.

I don't want to mount inverted and have to flip the video during post processing. No good reason that's just me

Yabba
Yabba, glue some small O-rings or a spacer gasket around the buttons so they won't be pressed accidentally when you attach to your camera. I find it much easier, though, to just rotate the video when I edit.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:03 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
A different HD micro camera like an 808

The following camera is a REAL HD key cam micro camera, but is not the #11, so I thought you would like to know about it. It might eventually be an HD "contender".

A vendor (not on eBay) in Thailand sent me some photos and video samples from a 1280x720 micro camera called the V909. It has a black plastic case that is similar to the 808 case, but not exactly. The vendor is evaluating one sample camera and does not have it for sale. I have some questions in to the vendor and I'm awaiting a reply.

Unlike the fake 808 AVI micro cameras, this is real 1280x720 AVI MJPEG video (resolution confirmed based on frame analysis). Not MOV. Not H.264.

The missing frame rate is high at about 33%.
The sample video has no video date time stamp!
The video does not seem to be aspect ratio distorted (not confirmed).
This sample is too dark and has high contrast. A little post processing fix looks much better.

The VirtualDub AVI specs are: 1280x720, 30.000 fps, MJPEG, video frame sizes from 44928 to 86406, 15614 Kbps video, audio is 8000 Hz sampled 16-bit PCM 128 Kbps.

One very interesting thing is that the USB cable, at the PC end, has a USB plug and a yellow RCA plug! Does this camera have composite video output? I'm trying to find out.

Here is the 14 second sample video uploaded to YouTube (watch in 720p). Email me if you want the original AVI (16 MB).

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808, clohr@yahoo.com

808 #12 HD 1280x720 AVI MJPEG Micro Camera (0 min 14 sec)

============ UPDATE FROM THE VENDOR ==============
RCA plug just for watch live video from camera (know just where is camera taking focus to.. ? )
cant use video output , cant play video on TV screen , video resolution can select which resolution you want to record ( select by yourself )

You want to get V909 for yourself ?? now on vacation " Chinese Newyear " cant order , after Feb 12,2011 will know price.
Yes , Time and Date stamp can be enable.

PS - last thing , when you posting report on your web , Could you please put my websites links also ??? pls...... just for SEO working well http://www.gadgets2u.net

I asked my friend (supplier) , ems to USA take 5-7days = 24usd for shipping cost. If by DHL around 31usd , minimum charge 0-0.5 kilograms same cost. 1 set with retail box just 145 grams, if you buy 2 , it's mean same shipping cost. Product price 36usd + ems 24 = 60 usd , but i need to pay more for paypal fees around 4% too. If u need 2pcs 36 x 2pcs + ems 24 = 96usd +4% for 2 pcs.

========= Normandy5 Comments ================

The vendor seems to be saying that the composite video output can't be used to play back a recorded AVI file, but can be used for FPV like a webcam. The video resolution can be set to three choices and the video date time stamp can be enabled or disabled in the time file.

At a delivered price of about US$60, or two for US$50 each, that is relatively expensive.

More information and photos here
http://chucklohr.com/808/C12/index.h...720P-AVI-MJPEG
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Last edited by Normandy5; Feb 01, 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: can't configure from composite video output
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:05 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt View Post
My camera arrived yesterday and definitely seems to have the uneven focus issue that has cropped up in the thread from time to time. While focus at centre and the top seems OK, the bottom and left of the picture are noticeably out of focus.

Is this becoming a broad-based issue with these cameras? I've had a #3 808 since they were released, and followed the general keyfob thread throughout, but don't recall anyone raising uneven focus as a problem.

Second, did we ever determine whether this was a lens or chip issue? I've seen both suggested.

Dave
I'm sorry to read this. I have an advice to the others, who have not ordered yet, but will do so.
Just ask first your seller for real video samples especially made by your future camera.
I'll order now my 2-nd camera from my seller (eletoponline365), but I'm waiting first for video samples made by my future camera and than I will pay for it.
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Seems these things keep popping up every day!!! That one sounds good, I'll try it too.
Most all of these freeware proggies are using the same open source code core modules, and just have different user interfaces and implementing different combinations of the available functions.

AVC has the abilty to do a direct copy of the source video, so you can just trim and repackage in the .AVI container and not re-encode. But like AviDemux, it also produces an .AVI file that will not display the video stream! Something is "broken" either in the core module that does the re-packaging, or in the format of the .MOV file that the camera outputs. I haven't tried this with a .MOV file from a different source to see if that makes a difference, but it's an annoyance, for sure. The direct copy into .AVI goes EXTREMELY fast compared to re-encoding (with the same H.264 video codec the video already uses).
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Ok, I got two full charges from one AA with the emergency charger.

Well, it appears that my third camera will save the last clip as the battery is depleted. I charged it from dead with the emergency charger and then let it record until dead again to make sure I got a full charge. To my surprise, I had 3 files, (2) 20 min. files and a 9 min. file, almost filled a 4gb card. I think it will be somewhat interesting to see how big the 4th file is when using the emergency charger to charge while recording, so I am charging up to do one last test with the e-charger. This info is most likely not very useful to anyone so if want, tell me to stfu and I will.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
The following camera is a REAL HD key cam micro camera, but is not the #11, so I thought you would like to know about it. It might eventually be an HD "contender".

A vendor (not on eBay) in Thailand sent me some photos and video samples from a 1280x720 micro camera called the V909. It has a black plastic case that is similar to the 808 case, but not exactly. The vendor is evaluating one sample camera and does not have it for sale. I have some questions in to the vendor and I'm awaiting a reply.

Unlike the fake 808 AVI micro cameras, this is real 1280x720 AVI MJPEG video (resolution confirmed based on frame analysis). Not MOV. Not H.264.

The missing frame rate is high at about 33%.
The sample video has no video date time stamp!
The video does not seem to be aspect ratio distorted (not confirmed).
This sample is too dark and has high contrast. A little post processing fix looks much better.

The VirtualDub AVI specs are: 1280x720, 30.000 fps, MJPEG, video frame sizes from 44928 to 86406, 15614 Kbps video, audio is 8000 Hz sampled 16-bit PCM 128 Kbps.

One very interesting thing is that the USB cable, at the PC end, has a USB plug and a yellow RCA plug! Does this camera have composite video output? I'm trying to find out.

Here is the 14 second sample video uploaded to YouTube (watch in 720p). Email me if you want the original AVI (16 MB).

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808, clohr@yahoo.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3NCadK_rY
Thanks for the heads up, Chuck.

It appears they have combined many of the advantages of the HD key cam we are focusing on here, with many of the disadvantages of the old 808! Both seem to have the central "hot spot" and very noticeable corner vignetting. The .AVI container is a plus, but the MJPEG codec and higher bit rate will make for some huge files, and likely is causing the dropped frames as well. But they may not be using the same video processor chip (with integrated H.264 compression), so may be able to market at a much more attractive price point. That will catch a lot of users who may not care so much about the dropped frames or large files. And it would likely force down the price of the existing HD key cam as well!

And if that is truly video out, it should be a real hit with the FPV flyers!
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
Ok, I got two full charges from one AA with the emergency charger.

Well, it appears that my third camera will save the last clip as the battery is depleted. I charged it from dead with the emergency charger and then let it record until dead again to make sure I got a full charge. To my surprise, I had 3 files, (2) 20 min. files and a 9 min. file, almost filled a 4gb card. I think it will be somewhat interesting to see how big the 4th file is when using the emergency charger to charge while recording, so I am charging up to do one last test with the e-charger. This info is most likely not very useful to anyone so if want, tell me to stfu and I will.
This is good info, so please post your findings. I think many want to know how long you can record with the Echarger connected AND starting with a fully charged internal battery. It's also important to know what the capacity (mAH) of your AA cell is. Many cells don't have this imprinted on them, but this make a big difference in how much they can add.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:51 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This is good info, so please post your findings. I think many want to know how long you can record with the Echarger connected AND starting with a fully charged internal battery. It's also important to know what the capacity (mAH) of your AA cell is. Many cells don't have this imprinted on them, but this make a big difference in how much they can add.
I have pretty much determined that with a fully charged internal and fully charged 2000mAH AA, I get (3) 20 min. clips. So, at least 60 min. of recording time unless your camera will save the last file as the battery is depleted then it will be more than 60 min. but it won't be more than 80 minutes. Finding out how much more than 60 min. will not really be that useful because it will vary anyway and I assume that most cameras won't save that last file. I guess that if I determine that it records substantially more than 60 min. then it would be safe to say that everyone should get at least 60 minutes as long as they are using a good quality AA.

Oh man, I just realized that it's the e-charger that prevents the last file save from happening or is it? ha ha. Are you sure you don't want to tell me to shut up? Anyone? It's ok, I will understand.

I believe that the only way to find out would be to keep track of the time and to systematically stop the recording after 60 minutes until you no longer got that fourth file. At this point, it is evident that it truly doesn't matter and 60 minutes is all that anyone can hope to get with the e-charger.
Maybe it can be hacked to actually power the camera, I don't know but I can assure you that I won't be the one to do that.
sorry for all this, it's the cold medicine or the shots of Crown or both.

I almost forgot. The red light on the charger does in fact indicate charging, when your internal battery is full the light goes out.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:04 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
How long does it charge before the battery is full? And can you record another 2x 20 minutes video after that? Also it would be interesting to know how much charge is left in the 2000 mAh AA battery after one cycle.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
I have pretty much determined that with a fully charged internal and fully charged 2000mAH AA, I get (3) 20 min. clips. So, at least 60 min. of recording time unless your camera will save the last file as the battery is depleted then it will be more than 60 min. but it won't be more than 80 minutes. Finding out how much more than 60 min. will not really be that useful because it will vary anyway and I assume that most cameras won't save that last file. I guess that if I determine that it records substantially more than 60 min. then it would be safe to say that everyone should get at least 60 minutes as long as they are using a good quality AA.

Oh man, I just realized that it's the e-charger that prevents the last file save from happening or is it? ha ha. Are you sure you don't want to tell me to shut up? Anyone? It's ok, I will understand.

I believe that the only way to find out would be to keep track of the time and to systematically stop the recording after 60 minutes until you no longer got that fourth file. At this point, it is evident that it truly doesn't matter and 60 minutes is all that anyone can hope to get with the e-charger.
Maybe it can be hacked to actually power the camera, I don't know but I can assure you that I won't be the one to do that.
sorry for all this, it's the cold medicine or the shots of Crown or both.

I almost forgot. The red light on the charger does in fact indicate charging, when your internal battery is full the light goes out.
Thanks... only 20 + minutes added recording... maybe more if the camera would save the last file. Disappointing... i would have thought a 4GB card could be filled. A larger cell battery would do better, but that's too much weight. I think it's a problem with low current and/or voltage sag with the AA cell... not enough to give the discharging lipo it's demand and power the camera at the same time. You'd be better off just to tap into the camera and parallel out a small plug off the internal lipo wires to a separate external single cell lipo, or even to one of the cell taps off your flight lipo.

The red LED I was referring to previously was the one on the camera, not the one in the Echarger. Just trying to confirm that the USB plug had the same cinfig, with +5V on pin 4. No big deal, knowing what we now know.

FWIW, I have done a test to confirm my camera starts a third recording after the second 20 min. clip with the stock battery and no Echarger attached... it just will not save it. So the charger is not causing the last file not to be saved... it's a camera function.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:26 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
How long does it charge before the battery is full?
I didn't time it but I will and then report.

Quote:
And can you record another 2x 20 minutes video after that?
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you be more specific?

Quote:
Also it would be interesting to know how much charge is left in the 2000 mAh AA battery after one cycle.
More than enough to charge the camera again. I can measure voltage before and after, if that will help.
Closed Thread