HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:03 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Flaps might be fun, but with the extremely light 14oz/ft2 wing loading of this plane, the really aren't necessary. You might want to save the servos for use when you get the Dynam Grand Cruiser or this plane:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...w-rtf-24g.html

You can never have too many (Dynam) foamies!
I just say you can never have enough LOL.
Is that a new one that NP is carrying?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Callies graphics did a real awesome job on the graphics I built. Good quality vinyl. She got it done same day and shipped it out!
Here's the results. Now to the cockpit...
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Here's the one I meant to put as pic 3
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Flaps might be fun, but with the extremely light 14oz/ft2 wing loading of this plane, the really aren't necessary. You might want to save the servos for use when you get the Dynam Grand Cruiser or this plane:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...w-rtf-24g.html

You can never have too many (Dynam) foamies!

I tamed the nervous nosewheel steering on the SR by drilling a 1/8" hole just slightly inside the one closest to the center of the rudder servo horn and moving the steering rod there. Nosewheel now moves much less and the plane tracks much better on takeoff and landing. The turning circle is a little larger but it will still just do a 180 turn on a double width driveway.

I'll tell ya what, they may not be necessary, but MAN has it really improved my landings LOL I come in with the flaps down and with it fully trimmed out, I can virtually land the plane off stick with no throttle. its THAT smoothe.

I am going to take some video of it soon and put up. you'll see.

I dig the graphics. after reviewing some pics of the real deal, I am going to shoot for the deep red metallic two tone paint job. its like an old car i used to have.

I have been thinking about putting in a new cockpit windshield that is clear to mount a camera in and get some POV filming. THAT will be fun. get to see my neighborhood from the plane.

I live in the bay area of California, so weather for us has been great lately. gotta buy soe more batteries so I can fly longer.

although, I have had one problem. my front wheel has locked up at the axle. I am thinking that the friction caused the plastic to melt and bind to the axle. has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking of just drilling it out and putting a copper sleeve in the wheel for an axle. that, or get some different wheels. even though it would be heavy, some scale lightweight rubber wheels would be cool. we'll see.
Rimmyman is offline Find More Posts by Rimmyman
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,470 Posts
Luvmykids2 - You got your graphics on, they look nice! But, I have to ask what inspired you to select that particular scheme with the US Dept of Homeland Security?
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Last edited by kman24; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Wrong Reference
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Just for fun : ) plus I really think we got to get our borders closed. Its wreaking havok on our city and its infrastructure. So, just thought it would be interesting.
I am working on a scale cockpit now...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2 View Post
Just for fun : ) plus I really think we got to get our borders closed. Its wreaking havok on our city and its infrastructure. So, just thought it would be interesting.
I am working on a scale cockpit now...
I can respect that. I haven't had a chance to look at any cockpit details yet. I am hoping to free up some time over the holidays to "work on the planes". For now, I am in the "building in my brain" mode
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Here is the progress so far in the cockpit...and a picture of my "man-cave". My wife is very awesome and supportive of me having a little escape hatch!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:24 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,470 Posts
Another Color Scheme and Interior

Hey guys, got a video response on youtube from this guy. Check out his graphics and interior (pretty nice )

Check out his Pilot, he is packing a 9mm

http://www.youtube.com/user/wingman4.../2/WhoUt7Jdl3I
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Did a small blade strike on the curb and bam! Sheared off the shaft clean!
Must be really weak. Didn't break the prop or anything. Time for that new motor!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:57 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2 View Post
Did a small blade strike on the curb and bam! Sheared off the shaft clean!
Must be really weak. Didn't break the prop or anything. Time for that new motor!
You know, I thought that the shaft on the motor seemed a little weak for a motor and prop that size so I am not surprised that that happened. However, you should be able to get a new shaft for that motor somewhere. That is of course unless you are really set on replacing that motor.

If you replace the motor, do you know what you are going to get?

KMan
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
This appears to be the stock replacement motor. It has a prop saver installed but should come off easily.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-exa010.html

At $7 each you can't really expect too much. There are several other motors that might be a little more robust - but they may cost as much as $15-17. Wow - how extravagant.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Dec 16, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Price isn't a big deal it's having the motor fit in the round hole without haveing to ruin the foam by cutting it. Does the shaft on that one in the link look long enough? I may just order that one. Its not worth $7 to mess with the shaft. Its still long enough to put on another plane. Thanks for the link!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:37 AM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Would this one work? Looks like the same Diameter.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m16-opti...215-740kv.html

Maybe a little more power. I might have to upgrade the ESC too?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:42 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
I was just joking about the price. All of these are very inexpensive.

I'm pretty sure that the prop saver can be removed from the Dynam motor leaving a shaft the same length as the SR's. Spec's on the motors are identical.

The motor you linked would not work well for this application. Notice it's KV rating of 740?
It will not spin the prop fast enough to provide adequate power. This motor would require a larger prop or higher V battery, neither of which can be used in this plane. You need a rating near the 1050 of the stock motor.

This one would be appropriate:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m72-opti...15-1050kv.html

No reason to change the ESC. But because the motor does not have a threaded shaft you would have to use a prop adapter.

Here's another good candidate from a reputable supplier, adapter included:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM.