HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:49 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCarroll View Post
Replaced the wingspar and greatness ensued! This plane is so much fun!
I broke mine about the second flight out last spring. I really wasn't doing anything to cause it to break, but I noticed the wings were almost touching each other. I got it down without incident, but I replaced it with a solid CF rod that was slightly larger and a tad longer, and I've had no problems since then. I have some new SS video to post once I get back to Yuma.

Happy New Year all.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:48 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Stock spar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
I broke mine about the second flight out last spring. I really wasn't doing anything to cause it to break, but I noticed the wings were almost touching each other. I got it down without incident, but I replaced it with a solid CF rod that was slightly larger and a tad longer, and I've had no problems since then. I have some new SS video to post once I get back to Yuma.

Happy New Year all.

Jack
Is the stock SkyS spar defective? I think my Clouds Fly has a similar spar and I have over 100 flights with no spar mods or problems. The planes are physically quite similar.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Is the stock SkyS spar defective? I think my Clouds Fly has a similar spar and I have over 100 flights with no spar mods or problems. The planes are physically quite similar.
It's underdesigned and very small. The simple fix is to buy another piece of CF and slide it inside and glue it.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:58 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
It's a very thin wall 6mm CF tube. Way too thin walled. As Prof100 posted a while back adding a solid cf rod (3/16) into it increases it strength quite a bit.
As a comparison the Easy Star uses a 8mm fiberglass spar with a 2mm wall, the Wild Hawk a 10mm fiberglass spar with a 2mm wall. The SS is 6mm CF spar with a 1mm wall. Snap.

ah, I see he beat me to it.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Dec 31, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:45 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Posted this on the ES thread should do it here too!

Speaking of Happy New Year, don't forget Chinese New Year 2011 (Year of the Rabbit) starts on the 3rd of February and runs for the next 15 days. So if you need to order from HK or anyone else over there you best get your orders in because the whole area shuts down for those 2 weeks.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:52 AM
Buckingham U.K
Joined Mar 2008
222 Posts
Happy New Year Everyone.

Rich...
RichPrior is online now Find More Posts by RichPrior
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Happy new year everybody! I'm about to go for my first flight of the year (third total)

Oh and on mine I used ()bis's wing holding method (using the 3m hooks), I also stuck them to the sides instead of a dowel through the fuselage, because I seem to be lacking a dowel. I decided to post it for others because I spent way to long looking for something to use for a dowel first...
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:55 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Get out of car : "hmmm, it's a little windy"
Get plane above tree level: "Holy **** it's windy!!!!"

Plane now has a super glue deficiency.

On the up side, while I was in the air fighting the wind was fun, a little scary, but fun.
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:44 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
battery

what size battery can i use with a 30 amp esc on a BEV sky surffer V2 with a 6x4e prop ?
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:02 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
what size battery can i use with a 30 amp esc on a BEV sky surffer V2 with a 6x4e prop ?
I assume you have a brushless motor. I use 3S 2200mah and 3S 1500mah in my SkyS. Both are rated at 20C. Normally I fly the 1500mah batteries. I run a 6x4E prop on the stock brushless motor. My ESC is 18A.
Last edited by garymcc; Jan 01, 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
I personally use a 30 amp esc but with that motor and stock prop a 15amp esc is well enough...

an 18 amp is still enough...noneed for a 30amp esc unless you are using a 2200kv supersonic motor from grayson hobby. and a 25amp is still enough with that...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:54 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Spar reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
It's a very thin wall 6mm CF tube. Way too thin walled. As Prof100 posted a while back adding a solid cf rod (3/16) into it increases it strength quite a bit.
As a comparison the Easy Star uses a 8mm fiberglass spar with a 2mm wall, the Wild Hawk a 10mm fiberglass spar with a 2mm wall. The SS is 6mm CF spar with a 1mm wall. Snap.

ah, I see he beat me to it.
Is it necessary to run the inner carbon fiber tube the entire length of the SkyS spar? What about using a 2ft. length of .188 CF tube and centering it within the stock SkyS spar? The central part of the spar bears most of the stress, does it not?
Thanks.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:16 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
You can use any size 3cell battery that fits.(brushless motor right?) The mAh ratings on batteries are basically "the size of your gas tank" A 2200mAh will give you longer flight time then a 1500mAh. The c rating is how many amps it can deliver. A 20c battery is plenty with the stock brushless. The batteries pavcon mentioned are good choices.
The esc size is is determined by the amp draw of the motor/prop combination, not the battery size.

Here's how it all works..Copied from a post I did on the EasyStar thread. The motor listed is a brushed but still applies to a brushless set up.

It's all pretty simple.
You start with the motor. Most have specs you can check to see what voltage and amps they are made for. Your permax is a 6 volt motor which works fine on 8.4 volts. Lets say with a 6x4 prop it draws 10 amps max. (You found this out from a friend who has one with a watt meter).
So your going to draw 8,4 volt at 10 amps max to keep the motor happy. You need a brushed esc that can deliver a minimum of 10 amps that can take a 2 cell lipo (8.4 fully charged though listed as a 7.2) So a 15, 20, 30amp or better will work fine as long as it's more then 10. It's a good idea to get the esc a bit bigger then the actual draw.
Now you need a battery to supply 8.4 volts and a minimum of 10 amps. The C rating tells you the max safe amps a battery can deliver. Take the C rating and times it by the mAh capacity of the battery and devide by 1000.
A 20C 1500 battery would be 20x1500=30,000/1000=30. So that battery can safely provide up to 30 amps its usable voltage.
Basically you can be bigger with the esc(amp rating) and battery(c rating)and mAh) without any issues. They will only provide what the motor/prop combination draw. Batteries and esc don't push current. They only try to provide what the motor/prop combination draw.

I hope that made sense.
Last edited by 2500GENE; Jan 01, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:21 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Is it necessary to run the inner carbon fiber tube the entire length of the SkyS spar? What about using a 2ft. length of .188 CF tube and centering it within the stock SkyS spar? The central part of the spar bears most of the stress, does it not?
Thanks.
If that's what you got then yes, it would be better then stock. But get one to run the whole length. The longer it is the more it will protect from breakage.

I have a few EasyStars and have broken the outer part of the wing where the spar ends a couple times doing something I shouldn't have. Most stress is towards the fuse but the outer tips take a beating too.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:04 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Spar mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
If that's what you got then yes, it would be better then stock. But get one to run the whole length. The longer it is the more it will protect from breakage.

I have a few EasyStars and have broken the outer part of the wing where the spar ends a couple times doing something I shouldn't have. Most stress is towards the fuse but the outer tips take a beating too.
One more question on the spar mod: Is the weak spar issue across the board with respect to vendors? I.e. are all SkyS, regardless of where purchased, equipped with weak spars?