SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:22 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
I consider any rider who repeats a WC title to be a true champ otherwise, to me, he is just the best guy for the year.
As you should know, it's more complicated than that. It's the rider and a whole lot of engineers and people with money that make a World Champion, in all top flights of motorsport. You couldn't say Sir Stirling Moss wasn't a 'true champ' even if he never won one. He did compete with and beat the best of his era for a long time. It wasn't his fault that he had unreliable cars.

My take is if they can manage to be the man to beat on more than just 'his day', over several years, then they are a champion no matter what the records show. It's then down to the opinions of knowledgeable observers over the course of time to highlight true greats. I'll take Murray Walker's opinion over mosts anytime (he's a long time bike fan/commentator).

I'll agree whole heartedly with one thing you said though. Sod off winter and bring on the GPs!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:50 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
alright, back to the real issues of motogp... I'll argue, sorry... have an adult converstation that doesn't always follow the same opinions of others...later...

but for now... check out the new factory Honda... now I need to get crackin and paint me a little of these...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Last edited by Lukey B; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
I don't know what to make of this.

I copied and paste from crash.net:
Stoner elected to quit MotoGP in May last year, revealing that he nolonger had the passion for the sport in a press conference held at Le Mans prior to the French round of the campaign.

Confirming his move to V8's in an interview in the Sunday Telegraph, Stoner reiterated the reasons why he had elected to walk away from the motorcycle world, although he refused to rule out one day making areturn –even if there is 'no chance' as it stands.

"Injuries weren't any part of why I retired, or that Iwanted to do new things," he said. "Family wasn't a part of it either. I just fell out of love with the sport. We had a lack of respect from alot of people around the sport and I didn't like the direction it was taking.

"We got spat at [by fans], they tried to knock us off scooters going from the motor homes to the pits, everything like that. Unfortunately they didn't like my honesty in the paddock. That was part of it, but more it was the direction of the sport.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
A link to the telegraph article.

Considering the last paragraph you posted, it is not surprising he got fed up.

Would you want to be hassled like that on your way to work?

As for the possibility of going back to MotoGP? That's a 100/1 at best. Even if he tried to negotiate a return, would he get the bike he wanted? There are a lot of young riders coming through the ranks that in the next few years are going to be at least as fast, and come with lower wage expectations than Casey. From a HRC perspective, would you rather invest in Marquez, who is 19 and has spanish giant Repsol backing, or Casey, who will not have the sponsorship money to compete against that (and Red Bull might not want to stump up that kind of money to lavish on just one person) and could decide to retire (again) after maybe 1 year.

I'm hoping he gets into the historic stuff like Bazza did. It'd be nice to see him at Goodwood.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
A link to the telegraph article.

Considering the last paragraph you posted, it is not surprising he got fed up.

Would you want to be hassled like that on your way to work?

As for the possibility of going back to MotoGP? That's a 100/1 at best. Even if he tried to negotiate a return, would he get the bike he wanted? There are a lot of young riders coming through the ranks that in the next few years are going to be at least as fast, and come with lower wage expectations than Casey. From a HRC perspective, would you rather invest in Marquez, who is 19 and has spanish giant Repsol backing, or Casey, who will not have the sponsorship money to compete against that (and Red Bull might not want to stump up that kind of money to lavish on just one person) and could decide to retire (again) after maybe 1 year.

I'm hoping he gets into the historic stuff like Bazza did. It'd be nice to see him at Goodwood.
I'm different from Stoner, ya push me I push back! Been that way all my life! Well i'd say let's see what Marquez do on a gp bike! For all you know he might turn out to be a pedrosa on a gp or maybe worse can YOU say for sure?????? I'm
not a Stoner fan but his abilities spoke for themselves.
I just thought Stoner was a little tougher than that. I'd ride through the pits with my middle finger up! Lol
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
I am frankly amazed that he has signed to race V8 tin cans in the Aussie series - possibly the most boring motor sport series in the world - ever.

2 manufacturers, age old engine technology, same old same old every race.

I have lost respect for him electing to follow this route, can only be for the $$$ (fair enough, although he cannot be short of a quid thanks to his talent and Ducati and HRC) - it surely cannot be the challenge.

Bike racing needs Casey Stoner. Rossi is way past his sell by date, Lorenzo has almost zero charisma and the sport has lost its most talented pilot.

Sad sad sad.....
zander749 is offline Find More Posts by zander749
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:56 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
I don't think he's chasing the big bucks, if so he would've taken the 15 million on offer from Honda for just a 1 year deal, and stay in motogp...

I don't have much time for the cars eigther, it quite honestly bores the bujeezus outa me... But if he wants to drive em... I don't care... I'll be interested to see how he goes, he has already outpaced a multiple champion in his own car at his first test... But I won't be following the series... Unless someone gives me a lobotomy and I'm unable to change the chanel...

So... Motogp 2013 is all go... Marquez is already up the front..! So we can just go last years results, supliment Stoners name with Marquez, and there's the championship... And for 2014 do the same but use the 2011 result sheet... See it's all sorted... Job done...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Mat Oxley's perspective on CRT. An interesting read...
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...e-perspective/
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander749 View Post
I am frankly amazed that he has signed to race V8 tin cans in the Aussie series - possibly the most boring motor sport series in the world - ever.

2 manufacturers, age old engine technology, same old same old every race.

I have lost respect for him electing to follow this route, can only be for the $$$ (fair enough, although he cannot be short of a quid thanks to his talent and Ducati and HRC) - it surely cannot be the challenge.

Bike racing needs Casey Stoner. Rossi is way past his sell by date, Lorenzo has almost zero charisma and the sport has lost its most talented pilot.

Sad sad sad.....
rossi past his sell by date / he may well not be riding like he did in the past but lets not forget his past achievements and that fact that the accident involving the great Simi who was i belive the next big thing that was going to take over MOTO GP and one of rossi,s friends may well have had an impact on him as im sure it would have affected any one to lose a friend in such a way ,
but to say his sell bye date has been reached i dont agree im sure i read some where rossi had one a rally stage in the closed season fair enough it was not on a bike but it shows he still has the winning edge rossi is up there with the gods of bike racing for sure him and two others barry sheen and carl foggerty for me
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Deen,

Fu;;ly agree with most of your comments but I see a case of "The King is Dead, Long live the King" here.

Rossi stats are mighty but his reign at the top is over I belive. Young Marquez is the next generation superstar in the making and the guy to watch this season.

I loved Doohan, one of the past greats but you know it got kind of boring at times watching the start grid, 90 seconds to go and in the era immediately after Rainey, Gardner, Schwantz and Lawson yoiu just knew he was going to romp away at the start control the pace, repel some mild mannered attacks from the likes of Barros, Criville and Beattie before a few rear wheel slides to entertain on the last couple of laps.

The sport needs a new hero like Marquez, needs youth and a new challenger. For me, Lorenzo is without significant charisma (Rossi has this in spades) and the sport is in danger of disappearing up its oen exhaust pipe unless a young gun comes in and shakes things upo a little.

Pedrosa is never going to be WC. Had a glimpse, just not got it IMHO. Stoner leaving is disasterous for Dorna and the sport.

MArquez is a breath of fresh air and a possible saviour.

I hope and pray that Vale keeps Lorenzo hassled and honest and chases him down but I expect Lorenzo to actually out psyche him. One word will do it and it begins with a capital D......

Barrty Sheene was and is a legend. Met him twice, the second time memorable, in a book shop in Holborn, Londons West End. Just went up, declared myself a fan and we talked bikes and racing for a few minutes - it was brilliant and a cherished memory.

Fogarty also a class act - watched him in WS at Brands and Donington in his glory years - one of the best. Shame he never got a good run in GP's - in 91 season (Ithink) he had a couple of outings on a satellite NSR500 Honda and got good results - top 10 which showed the potential but never got a full factory offer so stayed put.
zander749 is offline Find More Posts by zander749
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:18 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Well not long to go now for the first race...

Who's ya money on..?

I'm gunna say some really stupid things that will contradict themselves all over the place...

Pedrosa to win round one... The Honda appears very fast...
There will be four different winners in the first five rounds including one rookie...
Rossi will get out paced, but still win... Coz he can do that...
Marquez will duff up the robots with his flamboyant style and take a couple of wins...

Ducati looks like it may get a little closer to the front of the pack... Ok, the front of the trailing pack... The only rider I see really making a statement on that bike is Ianone... Grab it by the horns at make the bastard work... The other three are exceptional riders no doubt, but all are sort of conservative...

And with Ducati's pace will be the satellite war of Crutchlow... Bradl... Bautista...

So here's hoping for a handle bar bangin year of good racing...

My pick for title...
Lorenzo
Pedrosa/Rossi
Rossi/Pedrosa
Marquez
Dovi

This is all on the assumption no- one gets injured or has mechanical issues...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jun 2005
198 Posts
I'm hoping for a season long points battle until decided at the last race. Hopefully it'll be a 3 or 4-way battle, maybe 5 if Crutchlow can keep improving.

I'm going with Pedrosa to finally grab that first title. He was on a tear during the second half of last season, and the Honda seems to have a bit of an edge here at the start of the season.

I want to see Rossi get a few wins and Marquez add a bit more personality to the series. When Rossi and Edwards are gone, someone has to carry on...

Speaking of Edwards, I want to see him win the CRT title.

I look for Stoner to get wild card ride at PI and podium, if not outright win...

Can't wait for Qatar!
PBR600RR is offline Find More Posts by PBR600RR
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
I expect to see Hondas out front quite often this season given their speed advantage and riding talent. That being said with Rossi and Lorentho two vets on good'ol Yami's in chase I would expect some fireworks for sure.
I think Rossi will have the motivation and refired passion to go to the front because he's on proven equipment with familiar surroundings. Ducati was a drag and this is over now so there is nothing to keep him from charging on in his way. If he's in sync with the bike its going to be a tough day for the rest of them.

If Pedrosa can finally get a dominant string of wins with his bike advantage then we may see him consolidate a title. He's getting frustrated by now Im sure dont you think?

Stoner racing cars... Ok then he can complain about getting bumped to pass or something else... He should just park cars. Lol

Cant wait to see them race!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Apr 06, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Didn't expect that. Dovi 9 thousands slower than Dani. Wish I'd been to the bookies now...

Can't wait to hear Cals tale of being 'signed' by Ducati midway in last year, only to be then 'unsigned', presumably because Dovi decided he was going to sign for them. It's an interview to be broadcast on the Beeb before the race.

Did expect Spies continue his woeful continuation in MotoGP by being stuck in Q1 and then getting a full on shoulder slam as well just to add to his woes. He should have gone to WSB.

The rains have finally come, the bike drought on telly is now becoming an oasis (No I don't mean that Manc pub rock band) and there is finally something worth watching on a sunday afternoon...
Old Apr 06, 2013, 04:30 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Count down to Sunday! You paid for the whole couch but your only going to need the edge!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro