HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MPP, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:44 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Gallery
Full Dress Rehearsal

I have just finished my Guillows P-38 Lightning, Whew, four months and many nights it is now ready to be flown. No matter how much you say to yourself "I am ready" it seems that we are never really ready to commit our model to the wind. Normally I would like to get the maiden out of the way before investing more time and energy on detailing the airplane. But with the cruddy weather and no good place to fly for the moment, I keep adding details that add up to more hesitation to getting it maidened. I guess the good part of this is I can be more thoughtful of how the day will go. Check and double check everything should equate to a successful maiden. Not to worry this will not be a hanger queen and will be flown. The trade off here is more scale looks for less scale like flight. At 32 OZ.' and 215 sq. in.'s of wing surface this will be a rocket.

At any rate, until the fateful day I will continue to make her look better, try not to add any more weight and be patient. I have completed the "full dress rehearsal", all that is left is the "Big Show".

Here are the details:
Guillows P-38 kit #2001
Himaxx 2025-5300 in runner motors
Phoenix 25 ESC 2X
Vario 8b hubs with 8.2" three blade props and spinners (counter rotating)
TP 3S 2100 mAh battery
Hobby King micro air retracts
300 Watts WOT
AUW 32 Oz.'s
Covered in Doculam
Thread:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111814

Mark

Guillows P-38 Taxi runs (2 min 39 sec)
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:39 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
You know... I've been sitting on my Guillows P-38 for almost 20 years now.

I first bought it with the idea of putting 2 cox .049's in it.

But it sat in my basement for all these years WAITING for its turn to get onto the workbench

Then I got into electrics last year (Tried electrics 15 years ago Pre Lipo's- and gave it up as too impractical)

Now I love my electrics. This winter I bought 2 ESC's and t motors for the '38. Now all I had to do was move it up in the build priority order.

Seeing your post and your photos is really inspiring! makes me want to get mine out and start building n NOW!! LOL

Great job and uniqe paint scheme!

(BTW- Saw the Banana Hobby '38 in November and bought it. (cant you tell I love P-38's?))
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:50 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
Oh yeah- one more thing I just noticed in the photo- since you went through all the trouble of having the motors spinning in opposite directions, you have them going the wrong way.

Although its not really necessary to do that with smaller airplanes, If you want the improved flight effect of reversing one of the motors, the props should be spinning UP from the Inside and OUT. From this photo I surmise that your props are spinning UP from the OUTSIDE and IN.

No biggie though. Even if you decided not to make it correct to full scale, I'll bet it wont have any noticible effect the way you have it now since 1) its a pretty small plane and 2) its electric (single enginge deadsticks wont be an issue...*I hope*)

Cheers!
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:13 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Hey Max1, Glad you are thinking of making this conversion. Sounds like you have a ton of experience and I think you will be very happy with the performance of electrics (also less mess).
ASFA the direction I chose on the counterrotation there was much debate about the "scale" and how the E-flite model was designed. the E-flight ARF fly's with down on the inside while the "scale" is up on the inside like you said. If you dig deep enough the manufacturer did consciously design it this way. How much testing they did to release it like this I do not know. I own an E-flight P-38 and it does fly quite nicely. I even was able to bring it down with a lost prop once albeit with minimal Port side power.

Hey If you have experience that says Pfactor spinning the other way will improve flight performance I will switch it up. My goal was to get this ship airworthy and to look somewhat scale. With a 20 Oz per sq ft wing loading it is not going to fly scale that is for sure.

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I appreciate it. Now start a thread and get that Guillows P-38 going.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP