New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2016, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Twisted puma
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Discussion
Sig Clipped wing Cub 1/6

I have recently acquired an OS .26 fs engine and would like to build a balsa kit scale aircraft to fit. The Sig Cub (clipped wing 1/6th scale) is available in my LHS which I very much like, but the information on engine required varies between information provided on the box, Sig website and general web info. Has anyone run this engine on this model or if not, what other size four stroke would be suitable? (Not really interested in a 2 stroke engine).
Twisted puma is offline Find More Posts by Twisted puma
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,260 Posts
If it were mine, I'd look at a 4 stroke in the .50 range.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 24, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,279 Posts
Agreed. The OS FS-26 is good for planes up to 4lbs, with lots of wing area, but the 1/5th-scale Cub will need at least an OS FS-48, My 80" Thunder Tiger Cub flew great on a Saito 56.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jan 24, 2016, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
I was beginning to think as much. Thanks for the replies. Have you any suggestions on a scale build that would be suitable for the .26. Any suggestions would be greatly received. Great Planes Taylorcraft was another option but not readily available in the UK.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Just to clarify, I was looking at the 1/6 (56") wingspan, not the 1/5 (68") clipped wing cub.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,279 Posts
Ah, right. Even so, I would think that it is still too much airplane for that little motor. The OS 26 is not a powerful engine.

I have a Magnum 30 four-stroke in a 4lb Tiger Moth and I am thinking of going up to the OS FS 40 .
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
13,542 Posts
If built light, the .26 FS will fly it scale-like. If you want good aerobatic performance I would use a good .40 2 stroke or .40+ 4 stroke.. I get great performance with my electric powered 1/6 Sig J-3 using an equivalent Cobra brushless motor and two 2200mah 3S lipos in parallel, 12x6 or 11x7 APC E prop. Will do outside loops with ease.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 01, 2016, 02:56 PM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Although I wasn't looking for a full on aerobatic model, I was beginning to think it may need a little more than the fs 26. Although I've built a Stevens aero C140, this project was going to be my first, larger build so I decided to go for a simpler kit and got the Sig four star 20. Maybe next winter I'll get the cub and pair it with a slightly larger fs. Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,260 Posts
Enjoy your 4 Star build !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
13,542 Posts
The Sig 1/6 scale Cub is not an easy build. The instruction pamphlet is "old school" and does not lead you through each assembly step in detail. The model was designed in the 40's and is actually a big "stick model". The kit is very complete with bagged accessories and fasteners.
The design of the cabin, windscreen and side windows is more scale-like than many modern kits. My long build thread on the scale electric forum may be helpful especially in the construction and covering of the tail parts. Wade through the info about geared Astro motor etc, I wound up using a modern brushless setup in a 'donor" Cub that was built lighter and covered in Monokote. and with stock landing gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=Sig+Cub
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Yesterday at 08:12 PM.