Old Feb 06, 2016, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by XDmToter
Joined Apr 2012
631 Posts
Hello there everyone. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but I know the custom firmwares change some things regarding how the trainer port on the 9x works.

I have a couple of the little Dsmx 4 channel transmitters that come with the UMX RTFs and Blade copters. I would like to use these as buddy boxes with my 9x, as these are perfect for children's hands.

My question is; can I connect the CPPM output from a receiver such as the OrangeRX R615x to the Trainer port on the 9X?

If I can pair a MLP4DSM to the R615X and then plug that in to my 9X that would make for a very nice wireless buddy box.
XDmToter is online now Find More Posts by XDmToter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
5,113 Posts
If the receiver outputs a PPM signal, then yes.
I don't know about the stock firmware though.

Joćo
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
631 Posts
Is there a difference between PPM and CPPM?
Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by Kilrah
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
6,612 Posts
No. Someone just decided to add a C at some point for no good reason at all.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,716 Posts
As I recall, it was FrSky.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:39 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,716 Posts
The FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH radio Custom Firmware Facts/How-to Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter View Post
Hello there everyone. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but I know the custom firmwares change some things regarding how the trainer port on the 9x works.

I have a couple of the little Dsmx 4 channel transmitters that come with the UMX RTFs and Blade copters. I would like to use these as buddy boxes with my 9x, as these are perfect for children's hands.

My question is; can I connect the CPPM output from a receiver such as the OrangeRX R615x to the Trainer port on the 9X?

If I can pair a MLP4DSM to the R615X and then plug that in to my 9X that would make for a very nice wireless buddy box.

There's a problem with this scenario but it's easily fixable. The Orange R615X does indeed put out PPM, but it reorders the TAER input from a Spektrum transmitter to AETR (the Futaba order).

It will therefore be necessary to reorder the inputs using the Trainer provision of the master transmitter.

Not a big deal, but confusing if you don't recognize it. The operation of the trainer setup in Er9x is fully explained in the manual available at www.er9x.com

The Lemon PPM receivers don't do this channel swapping.

By the way, I have found the DX4e to be the ideal transmitter for my grandkids, age 5 to 10. It's small enough and light enough for them to hold comfortably but has better sticks than the "toy" transmitters and is full power. It can be used as a buddy box with a regular cable.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
631 Posts
Thanks Everyone!!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 04:31 AM
Find More Posts by Azoic
I Rant, Therfore I Am
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2013
162 Posts
This has most likely been asked/answered in this 1000 page thread, but i can't read all that for one question.

I have flashed my TX with ER9X firmware, does anyone know if this will allow any other RX to be used ? The stock TX is a Turnigy 9X and had v2 firmware. It would only bind to it's stock RX, will the flashing allow other's or is this governed by the RX itself ? I have no other 2.4Ghz RX's to test it with. And i can't afford to buy a bunch of tester's.
Azoic is offline Find More Posts by Azoic
Old Feb 10, 2016, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
1,229 Posts
Do not believe what HobbyKing says in its text for this transmitter.
There is a small range of receivers available:
6 channel:
3ch - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...eiver_3Ch.html
4 channel brick: http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F929-...-p-930768.html
3ch brick: http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-...s-p-77849.html
8 channel micro receiver: http://www.banggood.com/FLYSKY-Ultra...-p-988175.html

Will also work most WLToys, and some HiSky and Double Horse RTF copters and planes.

The firmware does not directly affect the receivers usable.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Feb 10, 2016, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by mmilan
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
120 Posts
Receivers

Azoic,
The above is true. But if you buy a JR compatible module or mod for an internal module then you open up almost any protocol that you want. Most here have "upgraded" to the FrSky modules. They are great quality and seem to have better range. Also if you have the cash upgrading to a 9xtreme sister board vastly improves the stock boards capabilities. I think you are just scratching the surface of the capabilities of your transmitter. Have fun
Mike
mmilan is offline Find More Posts by mmilan
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
2,781 Posts
+1 for 9xtreme and FrSky! Also, I have used many of those Hobby King TR6A rx with the stock (Flysky) tx module. Plenty of range for los flying. They don't have a failsafe feature though, that's why I prefer to use FrSky.
GFergy is online now Find More Posts by GFergy
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:29 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,716 Posts
A big disadvantage of the stock FlySky/Turnigy module is that the "range test" button does nothing. I wonder how many people have walked out 30 paces, punched the button, seen that the control surfaces move and concluded that all is well! Of course most of the time it is, so the fact that there is no range test function goes unnoticed.

I must admit I haven't tested this for a year or two, so if anyone can show that it's been fixed, I'd be glad to hear. The way to test it is to push the button and walk away to 150m or so. If you still have control with the button pushed, you don't have a range test function.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Azoic
I Rant, Therfore I Am
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2013
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Do not believe what HobbyKing says in its text for this transmitter.
There is a small range of receivers available:
6 channel:
3ch - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...eiver_3Ch.html
4 channel brick: http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F929-...-p-930768.html
3ch brick: http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-...s-p-77849.html
8 channel micro receiver: http://www.banggood.com/FLYSKY-Ultra...-p-988175.html

Will also work most WLToys, and some HiSky and Double Horse RTF copters and planes.

The firmware does not directly affect the receivers usable.
I wasn't sure about this, i did think being a separate board and device, the RX would be independent, but didn't know if this would affect any binding. I have tried the 3 SUPPOSED to work RX's with this TX and none bind correctly. A new module might be the fix for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilan View Post
Azoic,
The above is true. But if you buy a JR compatible module or mod for an internal module then you open up almost any protocol that you want. Most here have "upgraded" to the FrSky modules. They are great quality and seem to have better range. Also if you have the cash upgrading to a 9xtreme sister board vastly improves the stock boards capabilities. I think you are just scratching the surface of the capabilities of your transmitter. Have fun
Mike
Thanks for the reply, i am aware this TX and it's cousins can do wonderous things, but i don't need anything beyond some simple mixing and the main channels. Investing in this TX isn't something i am looking at, if i'm going to whole hog a TX, i would start with the i10 if anything. At worst a 9XR Pro. This one just isn't worth the cost, it does all i need for the models and flying I do.

Thanks Again for the quick replies guy's. All appreciated. Having followed one of the links above, it shows this little device. Anyone know how this might go for a combo as lights/smoke/gear switch control. Anyone tried one? How unsheilded is it? How's are the RF interference levels?
Azoic is offline Find More Posts by Azoic
Last edited by Azoic; Feb 10, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
1,229 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the standard FlySky protocol and receivers for casual sports flying.
The three channel has a settable failsafe on the 'throttle' channel (any function with ER9X) and all the rest return to neutral on signal loss and reboots are quick.
Different receivers bind differently. The 3 ch has the bind plug in ch 3, the 6 ch in the power socket, the bricks bind automatically when the transmitter is turned on in bind mode with module button. Some bricks require binding on each turn on.

There is a dedicated thread for the bricks: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1636399&page=1
It should be possible to use the two servo sockets to drive a servo switch module. Otherwise the HK-5320 servos will plug in here.

Here are cheap sources for the 1S bricks:
F929/939 Brick: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WLtoy...345198429.html
V911 Bricks: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pcs...269647022.html
The V911 brick is aileron/elevator, F929/F939 is rudder/elevator (for non open source firmware transmitters) with a Pico Molex with a 1.25mm pitch (not micro JST socket as in HK text) for the aileron servo
The bricks sometimes do not come with an aerial but a 26mm wire is suitable or better a dipole for more range. Basic bricks have about a 100m ground range. Should have similar rf interference ability as other FlySky receivers as uses same protocol. Getting the aerial on a lead will help.
Bricks have a 2amp brushed ESC. Brushless converters are available.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Feb 14, 2016, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by ReSt
Joined Jul 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
The three channel has a settable failsafe on the 'throttle' channel (any function with ER9X) and all the rest return to neutral on signal loss
That's not completely correct

I just verified that with my receivers and cheap analog servos.

The 3 channel receivers "HKGT2R" and "Eurgle 3 channel digital receiver" have failsafe on Channel 2.

If connection gets lost
and failsafe has been set (it's reset with Binding) then channel 2 goes to
failsafe position and the other two are unpowered
otherwise
all three channels are unpowered

For the 6 and 8 channel receivers "Turnigy 9x8CV2" and "HKTR6AV2"
If connection gets lost
channels 4 and 5 hold their last position
and all others are unpowered

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Last edited by ReSt; Mar 10, 2016 at 02:41 AM.