Old Feb 01, 2016, 08:11 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,465 Posts
If you get it too shallow the shock cord won't stay in the slit while you glue it. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Feb 02, 2016 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by michaelingp
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
The shock cord goes to the bottom of a 1/2" slit (dusted with baking soda) and then ca is applied to the top of the slit. What's the chances the glue doesn't penetrate that deep? Why so deep anyway?
I didn't check them all, but the Assassin instructions say 3/8". The GR instructions say 1/4". Either way, I didn't apply the glue on "top" of the slit. I use the nose of the CA bottle to apply the glue right on the cord.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:19 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I didn't check them all, but the Assassin instructions say 3/8". The GR instructions say 1/4". Either way, I didn't apply the glue on "top" of the slit. I use the nose of the CA bottle to apply the glue right on the cord.
That works until the tip of the glue bottle plugs up... If the CA glue bottle touches the baking soda it will plug the tip rather quickly.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by ducninja79
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
My night Assassin with programmable led's and a MicroDAN 2505 2900kv running on 4s. She's a screamer!
ducninja79 is offline Find More Posts by ducninja79
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by Stevie1dur
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducninja79 View Post
My night Assassin with programmable led's and a MicroDAN 2505 2900kv running on 4s. She's a screamer!
What prop are you running? Looking at doing a lightweight microdan 2505 2500kv 4s setup in the near future.
Stevie1dur is offline Find More Posts by Stevie1dur
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by ducninja79
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
I'm running the recommended setup from his website. It's a 6x4 master airscrew.
ducninja79 is offline Find More Posts by ducninja79
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
Have been flying my bone stock assassin for several years now with the cf2812 motor and the 7x6 prop. Relatively power hungry, 1300 mah packs from Zippy compact or even Glacier come down warm or in the range of 3.7V per cell after 6 or 7 min of flying, some of which is WOT but by no means all.

I'm keeping this one stock, it'll be good for teaching my kids to fly when they want to move up from more docile 3 channel stuff like the Fenix.

Buying a 3 pack of assassins with a buddy, I'll foot the bill, he'll do much of the build, and one of them will be his wing. I'm looking at making them both night flyers with a little more giddyup. might make one a pure speed flyer with simple lights and the other aimed at loitering with more complex lights. Hard to say. This is largely to have more indestructible night flyers for my first trip to SEFF in April.

Current variables I'm debating:
1- Winglets or no.
2- Motors. Likely a Power Up 400 Zoom on 6x4 on at least one, maybe both.
3- Lighting complexity. Could keep simple on one and go for broke on the other.
4- Lipo size. I have many Glacier 1300 and 2200 packs, not as many 1800 packs. Adjusting the slot larger without weaking the nose is the concern.

Might also try to design one for slightly quieter flight and loitering time, giving up speed to be able to potentially fly it in a neighborhood softball field without being too disturbing to the neighbors.

Thoughts?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Feb 09, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by hard line
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
1,791 Posts
For a stealth ball-field version, maybe consider a tractor configuration. I have an EPP tractor delta with that CF2812 motor & GWS8040, and I can hardly hear it even when close.
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:05 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
Quote:
For a stealth ball-field version, maybe consider a tractor configuration. I have an EPP tractor delta with that CF2812 motor & GWS8040, and I can hardly hear it even when close.
Yeah I built a lit up leadfeather delta for that purpose. Problem was I hated the way it flew, it was very twitchy. Much more of an elongated delta wing 24" span roughly 30" long. Sold it.

Love my Leadfeather firefly but since it's prop in slot it's also a little louder than I'd like. Night Fenix and Night Stuntbipe are my quietest night flyers.

Hmm if I want to get a little silly on one of them maybe the 2M 9 mode kit from HK around the perimeter, 2 9 led red corn lights on a switch on the leading edge as spotlights, and a small strip of white leds on top to tell up from down (or use tape striping).
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:31 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
1,791 Posts
Lee re-posted a video recently of a tractorized wing. It was for ultra-lite -- don't remember flight issues. Lee?
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:26 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Lee re-posted a video recently of a tractorized wing. It was for ultra-lite -- don't remember flight issues. Lee?
There are advantages to a front mount motor on a flying wing. A front mounted motor on a flying wing flies great. It is also quieter and it is easier to balance the plane.

The disadvantages of having a front mounted motor is the motor is exposed and more likely to have a bent shaft or broken prop. It is also more likely to cause injury to anything it hits or anyone it hits. For this reason we like the rear prop on combat planes.

I am presently building another gladiator with a front mounted motor. It will be similar to the ones you can see in the gladiator videos on our website. This time I am going to laminate the plane to improve the strength of the elevons and the hinge line which was a weakness in the unlaminated plane.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by ltrfred
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Jul 2013
156 Posts
Little flying last weekend.

http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y...psgu43ahpo.mp4
ltrfred is offline Find More Posts by ltrfred
Last edited by ltrfred; Feb 09, 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:54 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
Oh and lee I'm a fan of the powerlab 6, I parallel charge 6 packs at once on it, usually get them started when I arrive at the field and by the time I have canopy set up and planes unloaded I'm set for a bunch of flights. Two server power supplies give me 24v and 12v taps, the latter of which I use to supply two FMA multi4 chargers. So my charge case I can do up to 6 in parallel and two single packs up to 4s.

I have the 3 pack ordered, you probably sent them off to NJ already. Now to decide power and lipo config for them.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by crow57
Turning money into noise
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Jun 2014
32 Posts
Speaking of chargers, this X120 is on sale for half price from HK if you get it from the U.S. Arkansas warehouse. Shows $18.18 for platinum customers. 10 amps, I've been using one for about 6 months, works fine. Get a parallel charging board and an old PC power supply to go with it, hard to beat for the price.
crow57 is offline Find More Posts by crow57
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:14 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I have the 3 pack ordered, you probably sent them off to NJ already. Now to decide power and lipo config for them.
I just went digging around the web and found best price on Pulse 1350mah,35C to be Amazon @ $17 shipped.