Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:30 PM
15hrs build, 15secs crash
United States, CA, Contra Costa County
Joined Aug 2014
69 Posts
Discussion
building my own wing struts

Hi folks-

I purchased a hangar 9 80" piper cub that was missing the wing struts. I am looking to make my own rather than cough up the ridiculous retail price. Since I have to take the wing off to get it in my vehicle, I'd also like to make these struts "quick release" rather than having to bolt them on every time I fly. The struts are mostly cosmetic and I'm not worried about stress.

My initial thought was to buy some aluminum tubing and epoxy some 4-40 threaded rods into the ends of it with some sort of quick release clasp. Problem is that the local big box stores don't seem to carry it. So now I'm thinking of other options and thought this would be a great place to ask.

Thanks in advance
2broke4fullscale is online now Find More Posts by 2broke4fullscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:32 PM
stop making sense
Joined Feb 2014
149 Posts
You can make your own quick link by using a suitable pianowire, bend a 90* "L" at the end, then bind and solder a second thinner pianowire perhaps with a small distance piece 1/2"-3/4" up the wire, the second wire crosses the "L" and spring lock it.

tk
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:14 AM
15hrs build, 15secs crash
United States, CA, Contra Costa County
Joined Aug 2014
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo View Post
You can make your own quick link by using a suitable pianowire, bend a 90* "L" at the end, then bind and solder a second thinner pianowire perhaps with a small distance piece 1/2"-3/4" up the wire, the second wire crosses the "L" and spring lock it.

tk
That's a fantastic idea for ease-of-use but I'm a scale geek. Will probably need something a little thicker unless I'm imagining this wrong.
2broke4fullscale is online now Find More Posts by 2broke4fullscale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:20 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,491 Posts
Put the wire inside streamlined tubing, with just enough sticking out to do the job.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:58 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
I use bass or spruce and rough cut a streamlined shape using my table saw. I bench mount my belt sander then 'go at it' shaping the struts. I fine finish shaping with 'T' bar sander. Use clevis ends soldered to music wire as connectors. Drill into the strut to epoxy the music wire into them. Orient sheet metal fittings to receive clevis ends so that the struts 'hinge' and can fold flat against wing. Jury strut is hinged on the main struts. Jury struts have an 'L' shape that allows them to clip into their respective spots on wing.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP