HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:26 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Discussion
Flying Dog/AWD Afriel Ultra Build Thread

Hi Guys,

Andy Whitehead has been hard at it on the MAC once again and tweaked the well known Afriel EVO and come up with this, the ULTRA. Cut and printed in the Red signature scheme and as seen here, the yellow scheme (the nicer one )

It's produced by GRAPE and then sold by Rob Piec at Flying-Dog (ramiel, gym star etc http://www.flying-dog.co.uk/shop/) and if it's anything like the EVO we're onto a winner!

Set-up as follows:

AXI 2203/RACE
Jeti 11amp ESC
Spektrum 3010's on Ailerons
JR 316's or 318's on the back end

This is the very first one so I'm gonna build it as the kit will come to anyone else, bar a few minor bits which I'll explain as I go along.

For now, here's a picture of the foam bits

Connor
F3P Connor is offline Find More Posts by F3P Connor
Last edited by F3P Connor; Mar 01, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:16 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Nice colour scheme. That the bottom of the wing? Not many Depron planes printed both sides.

I had one of the original Evo's that Andy kitted, also with an Axi Race up front. Was an awesome freestyle plane.

Interesting to see how this one goes.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:20 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
It is the underside of the wing Dave. The horizontal portions of the fuselage are unprinted. This is not a cost saving exercise but a deliberate choice as the UV inkjet printing methods do have an effect on the strength of the foam. (makes them brittle) There are a number of changes which improve the strength and overall performance of the model which will become apparent as Connor starts the build
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:38 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
590 Posts
Red Signature looks awesome. Yellow is definitely a chav's scheme
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:01 AM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
I'll post one of the top tomorrow

There are tiny errors in the printing which rob is sorting. On that picture you'll notice the elevator and stab pattern don't line up whereas the aileron/wings pattern does.

Gary, you're evil, for the top scheme I prefer the red, but for the bottom scheme I prefer the yellow, it's a very tough decision

Connor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:18 PM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
590 Posts
Connor,

You know I'm only messing with ya dood. The truth is, I love both scheme's - just the red looks less like a Subaru Impreza

Just as soon as I get through various 'project foams' I'm gonna buy one for myself
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:13 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2007
80 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how this one goes. I had one of the original afriels and loved it, be nice to try the latest evolution. I'm home Tuesday so I'm hoping the build and video will be ready for me to watch young man! ;-)

Must dust off my wallet when I get back and give one a try. After I butcher my new biplanes wings to get it rolling quicker that is.

Do you have an idea when we can get hold of one, quite fancy a chavvy yellow one! Lol
Chris Currie is offline Find More Posts by Chris Currie
Last edited by Chris Currie; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:59 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
Doesn't come with Tinsel though Chris

Drop Rob an Email and see what he has in stock Chris, There weren't many ion the first delivery

Red and Pink is a real mans scheme!!!!
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:55 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2007
80 Posts
Cheers Andy, will get onto it. I'm sure I can dig out a little sparkle for it! ;-)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2007
80 Posts
Well the order is now in, got a nice new shiny motor coming too, and some new servos. Looking forward to giving it a go! :-)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:27 AM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Tuesday? PAH, you'll be lucky, i'm still waiting for blenderm tape to arrive When I build a foamy it takes me over a week, i'm not one to be rushed :P

In the meantime, I spent a whole half an hour today doing what I could without hinging anything...

SO, these are the only bits i've done that involve parts that aren't in the kit.

I've used 3x.13 carbon strip to strengthen the elevator in a "V' formation, I normally use one strip in a "/" shape all the way to the hinge line, but thought i'd try something different this time. Then the signature Afriel air scoop has also been strengthened as it seems to be a very easy thing to break.

Everything has been bevelled, I always enlarge the area that the elevator moves in so I can get more movement, must be a yoof thing

Until I hinge everything there isn't much more I can do.

Connor
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:00 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2007
80 Posts
Looks good, yeah I remember the scoop breaking on my original. I'm toying with the idea of trex ball linkages, got them on my arrow and they are rather good!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:43 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Right, finally Robert decided to send me some Blenderm So we're cracking on now!

Everything is hinged

The underside Aileron SFG's are on and so is the aileron bracing

Leading edge carbon is on... I've used the stuff that comes in the kit, except on the tips where i've used the really thin stuff to get round the curve.

I've also re-inforced the 2 square corners where the wing meets the fuselage, and where the tail section attaches to the main fuz. I've done this with thin Glass cloth to ensure no breakages.

Nose and Nose doubler is also on and the aileron horn slots are cut, at exactly the same point on each wing, accuracy is key

Elevator servo, horn and linkage is on and working, do that before you put the bottom fuselage on, then you can cut the servo slot in the bottom fuz more accurately.

Final job tonight is bottom fuz glued on with POR, and reinforced with anything i can find overnight to make sure it's straight.

All going together seamlessly so far!

Connor
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:12 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
865 Posts
Nice!

Subbed

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Evening gentlemen!

Not much done tonight... Pretty much only carbon bracing all glued on.

Ready for under cracker legs tomorrow, then flip it over for Aileron Servo's and linkages

Is 60g as it stands there with all carbon and one 6g servo good if i was aiming for around 170g max?

Connor