SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Steering control rod

I am having a very tough time finding a picture of the entire steering control rod on the Panther. I started off with a hand launch version, but I went ahead and upgraded it for retracts. Problem is that there is no steering control rod with my plane, so I am forced to make one.

Can someone please show me a top and side view of what this rod looks like so that I can create one? Or, if anyone has a better concept that works please let me know. I am dying to maiden my Panther, but it is waiting for the nose gear steering to be functional.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:29 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I'm gonna repair mine..
I had the stupiest idea to let one of the guys at the field to fly it.

The guy is way more experienced than me but never flown an EDF
he has some 50cc gas planes and 3d and all these propeller stuff. HE onced had an electric seb-art angel and converted it to gas again (moron)

and then I had the even more stupid idea (actually he had it but I agreed) to let him land it.

ok now I need a ton of glue... very hard landing folded the nose and the right landing gear along with the mounts. Im thinking of using plywood this time.. or shed more glue in there and make it a quickfix because of lack of time
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
gonna do something like that..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=522
Last edited by pavcon; Sep 15, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the nose steering linkage..
v2plus10 is offline Find More Posts by v2plus10
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!

I am not sure why the servo is placed so far back, so I used the servo hole closer to the wheel and it is working great! I did not happen to have a longer rod, but it works and I am happy!

Only issue I had was that the servo was backwards, so I had to put the control arm on the other side so that the right rudder input would turn the plane right, and vice versa.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I'm gonna repair mine..
I had the stupiest idea to let one of the guys at the field to fly it.

The guy is way more experienced than me but never flown an EDF
he has some 50cc gas planes and 3d and all these propeller stuff. HE onced had an electric seb-art angel and converted it to gas again (moron)

and then I had the even more stupid idea (actually he had it but I agreed) to let him land it.

ok now I need a ton of glue... very hard landing folded the nose and the right landing gear along with the mounts. Im thinking of using plywood this time.. or shed more glue in there and make it a quickfix because of lack of time
Yeah... I would much rather break things myself, then let someone else do it. Sorry to hear about the hard landing.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:29 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Glad the pictures helped.....!

Randy
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Yeah... I would much rather break things myself, then let someone else do it. Sorry to hear about the hard landing.
fixed it yesterday useing some hot glue and epoxy.

Never again.. Im the second less experienced at my club but im one of the few that flies edfs... Im not letting anyone else touch my planes again.... Now this guy knows that edfs are not easy
He learned the hardway...
Too bad for me

Im gonna shoot an idea to tim wan btw.. Why not make a 90mm panther . What do ya think??? Would you buy a plane like that??? I know i would...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
fixed it yesterday useing some hot glue and epoxy.

Never again.. Im the second less experienced at my club but im one of the few that flies edfs... Im not letting anyone else touch my planes again.... Now this guy knows that edfs are not easy
He learned the hardway...
Too bad for me

Im gonna shoot an idea to tim wan btw.. Why not make a 90mm panther . What do ya think??? Would you buy a plane like that??? I know i would...
I would buy one! I still need to get this one in the air first though
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I think that a 90mm one would sell like crazybecause the 70mm one created so many fans..
including myself
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
CG and Nose Weights

OK, I believe that I am all ready with setting up the CG of this EDF. However, it concerns me that I have used so much weight to get it correct. I went with 69mm from the leading edge of the intakes on the wing, and I have to use 6 - 7g weights to get it there. That is 42g of weight!

I am using a 4000mah 3S battery and have pushed it up as far as it will go, and the 42g of weights are stuck on the inside of the nose.

Does this seem probable that I have set the CG correctly? I am having a hard time believing that it took another 42g of weight to get it to where it needs to be.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
I used two 3S 3300ma packs...they are 272 grams each....They are staggered slightly to make them fit, and I had to add 14 grams of lead to the tail to make it balance. My version has the removable wing and it balances just a mm or so behind the wing attach screws..

Edit: That is about 69mm back from the outboard part of the intakes, about where the top and bottom lip come together.

Randy
Last edited by v2plus10; Sep 16, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
OK, I believe that I am all ready with setting up the CG of this EDF. However, it concerns me that I have used so much weight to get it correct. I went with 69mm from the leading edge of the intakes on the wing, and I have to use 6 - 7g weights to get it there. That is 42g of weight!

I am using a 4000mah 3S battery and have pushed it up as far as it will go, and the 42g of weights are stuck on the inside of the nose.

Does this seem probable that I have set the CG correctly? I am having a hard time believing that it took another 42g of weight to get it to where it needs to be.
I use 1 4000mah 4s 45c + the steering servo that you don't have
or a 4500mah 4s 35c pack.. it's possible yes.. CG at 62mm (not 75) don't forget.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
This is what I have for CG. I borrowed these images, but you can see my CG locations marked with bright red dots. Does this look like a bird that will fly? I am going to maiden this thing on Sunday and I want to make sure it will be balanced.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Your dots look to be exactly where my CG is. Those round indentations in the foam are where the wing mounting screws are on my version. I have flown it with that CG several times.

How long is your runway?? Be sure that the model sits on the ground with a slight positive angle..this will give the wing a positive angle of attack and the liftoff will be smoother. Use all the available runway and don't pull it off the ground too early. It is a smooth flyer but don't let it get slow.

Randy