HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:55 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Build Log
Mini-Weaver

Due to applehoney's invaluable help, I've got started on my open power duration model.(thanks Jim!)

It's a 1/2A design by Dave Posner and is one of the prettiest duration models I've built. Although designed for TD049, I intend to power it (like its predecessor) with a TD09 so it's being slightly beefed up to cope with the extra speed and weight.

I decided it was time to renew my enthusiasm for the model so, something like 40 years later, here's a progressive series on the construction.

I started with making up a 'kit' by scanning the ribs onto paper and cutting them out; using low tack spray they were applied to the wood and cut out. Similar ones were sandwiched together and sanded to accurate size at which point the notches for fore and aft aligned ribs/riblets were cut too. The geodetic ribs were left slightly oversize and un-notched until fitted in place. I like using laminated shapes so gentle curves on the tailplane and tip leading edges are made that way. The l/e, t/e and tip parts were all cut out as were the spar(all slightly oversize to allow fitting later).

Here are a few pics of progress to date.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:12 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Looking VERY good, Tony!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:12 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
Should have no problems with a Cox .09. My Executioner is somewhat similar in size and the .09 is standard in that. http://www.windandwavemodels.com/Executioner.htm
Mike Woodhouse and I have full size plans available.

John O'Sullivan
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Nov 17, 2005, 05:47 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Oh dear - John, that Executioner looks like another 'must build' - lovely model! All those intricate ribs/laminated edges.

I know my M-W can cope with the power, just so long as I can still trim the thing. Take it slowly and edge the power up. I don't intend to use it as a true competition model - I just like blasting the model into the sky on a short d/t. Can't wait to get it finished!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:14 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>Take it slowly and edge the power up.

I haven't used that technique for decades as, effectively, you're retrimming at every increment of power. Flat out, no more than three seconds and near vertical launch does it for me for a first flight!

Each to their own :-)
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
Tony-
I'm not familiar with the Mini Weaver, is this a scale down of the Dream Weaver? Do you think it would qualify as US Nostagia legal? (Dream Weaver is OK). Are plans available?

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished plane.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 02:44 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Norm - I don't know if the plans are commercially available as I haven't seen a plans handbook in years. The original was a free plan in the early (?) 1960s but I have the Aeromodeller to 1964 and it's not in those. It was made available as plan number PET 1012 in Aeromodeller Plans Service so may be still available from the xlist (www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk)
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Mini Weaver.

Mini Weaver was published in MODEL AIRCRAFT magazine April 1963, and was a full size plan in the mag. with full instuctions for building and flying.

l built this one about 4 years ago using a Tee Dee .049 with an .051 sleeve and piston-----it was good enough to max out and win the Queensland F1J State champs 3 or 4 years ago.

l built in an auto rudder working off the mini Seelig timer, to aid transition.

lt's a very good looking model that flys well----good luck with the .09 version----will watch with interest your results, and if good may do the same.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 18, 2005, 06:14 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Thanks Gossie - that explains almost everything.everything. I thought I built the first one around the original publication date, but hadn't remembered it was Model Aircraft mag.

They had 'different' aircraft to AM's. Their plans were often a bit cheap looking and poorly drawn, but I enjoyed their approach better than the more traditional Aeromodeller. However the MA and AM plans were amalgamated a good while ago - a lot were dropped from both ranges so many will disappear unless people like yourself and applehoney keep the fires burning.

Progress with mine - the carving and sanding of the wing and tailplane is now done; the wing panels are about to be joined and the fuselage is half built - literally! - just peeling the glue from my fingers then it's off to bed (11.15pm).I've stiffened the fuz a little and added 2 inches to the moment arm for a bit more stability and help offset the extra engine weight. All the bits seem to weigh next to nothing at the moment - hardly moving the domestic scales.

What wasn't explained on the drawing I have is the CG position relative to the trailing edge of the wing. I remember it as being about 3/4 inch forward. Is that right? I don't mind moving it back, but forward is a bit risky.
Last edited by Tony Oliver; Nov 18, 2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 18, 2005, 07:05 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Yes---C/G is way way back.

The plan does not show the position, but in the instructions it tells you 1/2 inch in front of the T.E.------and that's about where mine is.

Had wondered about the extra weight of the .09, but you have answered my thoughts by extending the rear of the fuselage.

lf l did do this exercise, l would also lengthen the fuselage, but l think l may add a couple of extra bays to wing centre section and tips.

Would keep same chord of course, but just make the wing higher aspect ratio.

Keep the pics coming please, and building progress.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 18, 2005, 07:24 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
US Nostagia legal? (Dream Weaver is OK).

Norm, there are two Dreamweaver plans in circulation - the Mk9 and Mk11. Mk9 is Nostalgia-legal, was published April 1957 in Aeromodeller; Mk11 was 'drawn especially for John Pond' and is definitely not Nos-legal .. but some have been known to have bought the Pond plan and built it in good faith.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:35 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
Dave Posner developed the Dream Weaver over many years after the 1957 version, well into at least the middle 60's. I have photos of his models at the 1963 World Championships at which he was up to Mk28. Incidentally, anyone know of Dave's whereabouts now?

John O'Sullivan
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:43 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Thanks Gossie.

I'm about to make up the engine mounting plate this morning so will have the engine mounted fairly quickly. I don't want the prop disk to be too close to the pylon hence the extended moment arm. I doubt the extra weight of the motor (1 and 1/4oz extra) will make much difference at the short distance it is the CG, but there is the prop size/weight to consider too - 7x3.5 is the starting size I'll use. I had some success with slightly cut down wood 7x4 so that's a later option too. Should give ground revs of 17000+ on 30%. (peak on test was .235bhp around 19000

As for firing it up, Jim's '3 second blast- is what I will do, but I do prefer to get a slightly stally glide from a low power climb out first to make sure I'm not getting a bunt when the power's off - rear cg and handlaunch glide tests don't always give me the clues to real glide. Personal preference only really. If I'm happy with test glides I'll forgo the low power bit.

All getting a bit exciting.

ps: I was tempted to use some clear plastic covering but can't bring myself to do it - tissue it is!
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:08 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
Tony:
I use Coverite Micafilm when I can get it - (the old stuff of 10 years or more ago). It is just about as light as doped tissue ( 1.2 oz/sq. yd for colour and 0.75 oz/sq.yd for clear (just like white tissue) and will last forever. I have a 1969 vintage Executioner wing which I recovered in Micafilm about 3 years ago and is flying fine. My electric rip-off of Ray Malmstrom's Mimi in the photo is Micafilm covered,
Micafilm has a fibrous tough ripstop backing and gives a very rigid structure. They changed the fibre to an inferior material and an identical product is marketed by Solarfilm as Fibafilm. It is still good, but not as good as the original.
As for other "garbage bag covering", Oracover (Ultrakote), regular or Lite, is amongst the best but they all split from bramble punctures.

If you really want
One of the bonuses with Micafilm is that it looks like real tissue. Fibafilm only comes as semi-opaque and is not quite so transparent. It does have a differential shrink rate across and along the sheet (more lengthwise) so make sure the long axis is along the wing.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:29 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>anyone know of Dave's whereabouts now?

Dave suddenly dropped out of modelling; reputedly he announced that, following the World Champs, etc., there was 'nothing left to do' ... and walked away.

My preferred prop for the TD.09 is an APC 6.5x2.9 - bladder fed, 60% nitro. This is on an Aldrich-modded engine but seems well suited to Kustom and standard versions also.