SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
Futaba FP-S148

FIrst of all thank you for having me, I'm usually posting on an other site in the helicopter section. I started out with sailplane years ago and loved them. Been playing with heli's lately but plan to go back so here is my question.

I have an old radio I was thinking of selling on eBay, but I started thinking I may want to keep it just for the servos. This is an old 72mhz 6 channel Futaba. It has 4 FP-S148 servos in it. I know these are not high end servos, but for a thermal plane they may work. The plane I thinking of putting them in is an old Airtronics Aquila. I started this project years ago, and planned on making it a show piece. Put a lot of hard work into it. Just got sidetracked with life and have yet to finish it. I also have a small slope soarer I could put two of them in.

Anyway is it worth keeping them? Just as a side note they're over 15 years old. Sorry for the long winded post.
eatfire is offline Find More Posts by eatfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:30 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,949 Posts
I have shopping bags full of servos like that. Test them and use them. And post a pic of that Aquila.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
663 Posts
Don't risk an Aquila by using them , I too had a gaggle of them that lay in storage for a very long time . When I recently decided to thin out the inventory , I tested them . They all failed . They chattered, jittered, or just wouldn't do a damn thing . Trash 'em , new servos would be the best bet .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
I have shopping bags full of servos like that. Test them and use them. And post a pic of that Aquila.
I haven't finished the plane yet. Needs final sanding, covering and radio install. I'll be using an Aurora 9 for the radio. Just have to get the time and gumption to finish her. I'm actually surprised that anyone remembers that plane. When I got it, it was the plane to have. I also have an old Ridge Rat slope plane pretty much ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
Don't risk an Aquila by using them , I too had a gaggle of them that lay in storage for a very long time . When I recently decided to thin out the inventory , I tested them . They all failed . They chattered, jittered, or just wouldn't do a damn thing . Trash 'em , new servos would be the best bet .
Yeah I was feeling the same way that's why I asked. I think I'll put out a little money and buy new. Nothing high end just a good servo.

Thanks for the advise guys!
eatfire is offline Find More Posts by eatfire
Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
663 Posts
I use Hitech 225 MG's on most of my stuff , never had a problem . Metal gears just make me warm and fuzzy .
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:40 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,305 Posts
Its weird how the old 148s just fail like that. I had the same experience when digging through some old ones while looking for a servo for a Coyote. I wonder what causes it...do they corrode inside?
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:46 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,949 Posts
I've had way better luck with 148's than the modern replacement from Futaba.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
663 Posts
The reason that they fail like that , at least I'm told , is that the elements within the feedback pots corrode where they come in contact The suggested way to minimize the problem is to rotate the servo to an end stop , then store it away in a sealed baggie. I can't swear by all that but it does make a degree of sense .
Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a dead spot on something like a volume control .
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,610 Posts
In all seriousness, don't risk a nice model like an Aquila on a $14 servo. Same goes with batteries. You can replace all three servos and get a modern equivalent battery for way less than $100.

Digital servos have replaced analog servos in the past 15 years. They generally are faster and have more torque than analog servos. You will be much happier if you use current generation servos in your model.
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
663 Posts
What he just said .