Yes, but for what goods?
Did you buy a Taranis from Hong Kong?

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Today, 08:24 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Anyone else have trouble plugging their Orange Rx module into the Taranis? I got my module last night and the pins do not line up with the module plug. They are off by about a half a millimeter. If I remove the antenna board from the radio, the module plugs in with no problems. It is only a problem when I am plugging the module into the receiver on the back of the radio that the pins do not line up with the holes.

I am having this issue with BOTH of my Taranis.

Anyone else have this problem?
Carnet is online now Find More Posts by Carnet
Old Today, 08:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnet View Post
Anyone else have trouble plugging their Orange Rx module into the Taranis? I got my module last night and the pins do not line up with the module plug. They are off by about a half a millimeter. If I remove the antenna board from the radio, the module plugs in with no problems. It is only a problem when I am plugging the module into the receiver on the back of the radio that the pins do not line up with the holes.

It has been reported a number of times and I believe it is the Orange module that is the problem, not the Taranis. Although I could be wrong :-)
Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Last edited by Tomkfly; Today at 09:05 AM.
Old Today, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Ah, that is what I figured...is there any documentation on what it takes to fix it?
Old Today, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

So my Taranis arrived a few days ago and I am going through setting it up for my various r/c multirotors and have encountered an issue. I'll try to keep it as easy to understand as possible.

I am attempting to do something you'd consider pretty basic, output a channel controlled by one of the side sliders (RS) in order to have the end goal of controlling a gimbal tilt.

I do not have the gimbal hooked up, I am reading r/c values either at the radio, or in Mission Planner (Arducopter).

To put it in the most basic form, I am only getting HALF of the "full" output, in 1/4 of the slider movement/travel.

This is not isolated to the one slider, the Left one does it too, albeit worse. I think the left one is faulty as it does nothing and then if you push it a bit more at its limit it reacts.

S1 and S2 give the same scenario, outputting half of their intended full value within the last 1/4 of their physical movement.

I've tried simply assigning the channel, adjusting the curves, having other switches activate the channels and everything else I can think of. It should be as easy as assigning the channel on a new channel of the radio and for it to work, but it isn't playing ball for any of the pots.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Adsport is online now Find More Posts by Adsport
Old Today, 09:35 AM
The ground is the limit!
United Kingdom, Cannock
Joined Dec 2012
46 Posts
Oh yes, sorry. From HK with an Orange Module and V8FR-II receiver.
spooky_0325 is offline Find More Posts by spooky_0325
Old Today, 09:37 AM
The ground is the limit!
United Kingdom, Cannock
Joined Dec 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnet View Post

I had this problem. The white unit where the pins go into moves back on the PCB when you plug it in. Open the Module up and take the PCB out. Put some CA on the bottom of the white housing and hold it back down with a clothes peg. Let it dry and no more problems. Will go in and out without incident.
Old Today, 09:39 AM
The ground is the limit!
United Kingdom, Cannock
Joined Dec 2012
46 Posts
Setting Full Range Of Slider or Pot

Set up one of the curves to go from -100 to +100, left of the middle line to top right. You can set it with a 3 point curve. Then set the slider to use that curve and you should be all good with full range.

Have added some pics too. Hope it helps you. For pan and tilt you will use your left and right sliders then.
Last edited by spooky_0325; Today at 09:52 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old Today, 09:57 AM
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky_0325 View Post
I had this problem. The white unit where the pins go into moves back on the PCB when you plug it in. Open the Module up and take the PCB out. Put some CA on the bottom of the white housing and hold it back down with a clothes peg. Let it dry and no more problems. Will go in and out without incident.
cool, thanks.
Old Today, 10:29 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsport View Post
Hi everyone,

So my Taranis arrived a few days ago and I am going through setting it up for my various r/c multirotors and have encountered an issue. I'll try to keep it as easy to understand as possible.

I am attempting to do something you'd consider pretty basic, output a channel controlled by one of the side sliders (RS) in order to have the end goal of controlling a gimbal tilt.

I do not have the gimbal hooked up, I am reading r/c values either at the radio, or in Mission Planner (Arducopter).

To put it in the most basic form, I am only getting HALF of the "full" output, in 1/4 of the slider movement/travel.

This is not isolated to the one slider, the Left one does it too, albeit worse. I think the left one is faulty as it does nothing and then if you push it a bit more at its limit it reacts.

S1 and S2 give the same scenario, outputting half of their intended full value within the last 1/4 of their physical movement.

I've tried simply assigning the channel, adjusting the curves, having other switches activate the channels and everything else I can think of. It should be as easy as assigning the channel on a new channel of the radio and for it to work, but it isn't playing ball for any of the pots.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Did you calibrate the sticks, pots, and sliders on your Taranis? Different outputs on the sliders indicates that they were not calibrated. If you didn't perform calibration, go to OpenTX University and look at the Checking Out Taranis class. While you are at it, you might want to go through the Radio Setup classes, and check out the rest of what's on offer.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Today, 09:04 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,206 Posts
I am having a problem with a DM9 module that I bought for my Taranis so I can fly HH BNF models. It works perfectly with the Sport Cub and nano QX but I am having no luck getting it working with the Apprentice S. I have it set to ppm, ch 1-8, 22ms,400u and +. It appears to bind ok but when it is initializing, the servos seem a little slow. After initialization the servos deflect to nearly full throw and nothing works but I have a solid Orange light on the receiver.
Just throwing this out on the Taranis thread thinking someone else might have had the same problem.
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Today, 09:51 PM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
Did you calibrate the sticks, pots, and sliders on your Taranis? Different outputs on the sliders indicates that they were not calibrated. If you didn't perform calibration, go to OpenTX University and look at the Checking Out Taranis class. While you are at it, you might want to go through the Radio Setup classes, and check out the rest of what's on offer.

Calibrating everything was the second thing I did, after watching many of Scott Page's videos about the Taranis on Youtube.

However, it seems I stuffed up the calibration procedure and rolling through it again has resolved my issue.

Thanks for the response, you were right on the money ! I think when things aren't right you really need to start from step A instead of step C

This radio is a great upgrade from the modded 9X I've been flying for a while now I have to say I bought the X9D recently due to the Plus being released and the earlier ones pretty much going on clearout prices everywhere. My plans are to upgrade small things and install the haptic vibration components and just enjoy it .

Thanks again for the help, I knew RC Groups would come through
Adsport is online now Find More Posts by Adsport
Old Today, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2014
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
I am having a problem with a DM9 module that I bought for my Taranis so I can fly HH BNF models. It works perfectly with the Sport Cub and nano QX but I am having no luck getting it working with the Apprentice S. I have it set to ppm, ch 1-8, 22ms,400u and +. It appears to bind ok but when it is initializing, the servos seem a little slow. After initialization the servos deflect to nearly full throw and nothing works but I have a solid Orange light on the receiver.
Just throwing this out on the Taranis thread thinking someone else might have had the same problem.
HI,
I had the same issue when trying to configure my Taranis to bind with my Delta Ray. I got over it by keeping the mixes verysimple, and getting the order of the channels correct (TAER).

Here's my mixes page. Works just fine.

Duncan
rtfmaero is online now Find More Posts by rtfmaero