SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
Question
can you turn an ice50 into an ice50 lite?

i have a regular ice 50 that i'd like to remove the heatsink of so it'll fit in a plane i have. can i do this and then shrink wrap it or is there an aluminum plate that gets mounted under the shrink to help as a heatsink? just trying to save from buying another awesome, but pricey esc. thanx.
nuttcase21 is offline Find More Posts by nuttcase21
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
As I recall the Lite version has a small aluminum plate as a heatsink under the shrink wrap.

It would be best to sell it and get the lite version. You could call Tech Support and see how much they would charge to convert it for you or if they will send you the parts. A plate and shrink wrap would probably not be that expensive/

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
that's what i was thinking. hopefully one of the mods will shed some light on this for me. not like it would be very hard, i've wrapped my other esc's before with heatsinks.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttcase21 View Post
that's what i was thinking. hopefully one of the mods will shed some light on this for me. not like it would be very hard, i've wrapped my other esc's before with heatsinks.
Just call the repair department...

Repairs repairs@castlecreations.com
Phone
(913) 390-6939

*Option 1 - Technical Support
*Option 2 - Repairs
*Option 3 - Sales / Orders

Office Hours: Monday - Friday from 9AM to 5PM CST.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
thanks clintstone. just noticed that the heatsinks are applied to the board with what looks like thermal cement. i've used it some in my computer projects and it's hard as hell to get apart. guess i'll make that call now.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
just got off the phone with Bernie and through some laughter, it looks like i'm looking for a lite version. he said they use a pretty robust themal cement and it'll most likely tear the top of the fets off if i try and pry any. just not worth ruining a perfectly functional esc so it'll fit where i want it. now we know.