SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
New Product
Nico Hobbies F/A-18 Pocket Jet

First off, I'd like to give a big "Thank You!" to Steve ("jetset44") for allowing Nico Hobbies to bring this to market. This plane is a reduced version of Steve's original F/A-18 found on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359325

Most of you know that Steve has been doing his famous pusher jets for many years now, and originally they were great park flyers with the geared GWS power units. But then came the advent of high Kv brushless motors that pushed these planes up a level, but made them a little too fast for a lot of parks.

Several years ago, Steve had expressed an interest in making them smaller, and calling them "Pocket Jets". Well today, the wait is finally over! With Steve's permission, Nico Hobbies is proud to present the next phase of full fuse pusher jets.

The first in the series is the F/A-18 Hornet. This is based on the original A/B model that Steve did, and not the later Super Hornet model. Here are the stats:

Wingspan: 18.25"
Length: 27.5"
AUW: 8-9oz

Motor: AX-1806N 2500kv
ESC: 10A
Servos: 3x HXT500 5-gr
Prop: GWS 4530 with Hyperion Propsaver
Battery: Hyperion G3 3S 850mAh 25C
Receiver: XPS Nano

AUW with the above equipment: 8.5oz

Kits available at www.nicohobbies.com.

Here's some video of several of our planes, and the F-18 is near the end.

Nico Hobbies at the flying field (5 min 6 sec)

We will also be introducing other models such as the F-15, T-38/F-5, JAS-39 Gripen and the Super Bandit in the near future.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Nov 22, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Assembling the Fuselage

The build is pretty much the same as Steve's original, except there are no bulkheads, and there is no need to add foam strips in the corners of the fuse.

Identify the forward fuse pieces, then glue the fuse sides to the bottom, making sure the notch on the bottom fuse is towards the rear. Use a square to ensure a straight build. The fuselage sides rest on top of the fuselage bottom piece. Then add the forward top fuselage piece.

Next, laminate all of the nosecone and canopy pieces together with 3M Super77 or similar spray glue. Set the canopy aside for now. Once the glue dries, sand the mounting surface of the nosecone and the forward section of the fuselage flat and glue two together. Draw an outline of the nosecone on the top and bottom for reference, then cut and sand the nosecone to shape. Also sand the edges of the top and bottom fuselage round now.

Next, identify the rear fuse pieces, then draw a centerline down the bottom fuse. Using a heat gun or rolling bar, make an upward curve in the rear of the bottom fuse to match the angle of the rear of the side pieces. Then glue the side pieces to the bottom, again using a square to ensure right angles. The servo cutout should be nearest the top of the fuselage sides. Then sand the edges of the fuselage bottom round.

Finally, glue the forward and rear fuse sections together, bringing the rear part of the forward fuse together on the centerline that was drawn on the bottom rear fuse.

Pat
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:01 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Installing the Motor Mount Support, Electronics and Stabliators

Start by taking a servo (make sure it has already been centered) and inserting it into the slot of one of the Motor Mount Supports. Then laminate the supports together, with the servo tabs sandwiched in between.

Next, install the servo arm and bend one of the pushrods and attach to the servo arm and the stabilator control rod horn. Then, using the stabilator control rod as a guide, glue the motor mount support in place, and the remove the control rod. Glue the ply stabilator spacers to the outer sides of the rear fuselage. Then reinsert the control rod, adding the inner ply spacers and control horn as pictured.

Spread the inner ply spacers out to the interior edges of the rear fuselage. Measure the stabilator control rod to ensure it is centered, then CA the inner ply spacers and control horn to the control rod.

Glue the ply motor mount to the foam motor mount, then tap the holes for your motor. Then glue to the rear of the motor mount support (foam to foam). BUILD TIP – High-temp hot glue works best for the motor mount as it remains slightly flexible and won’t shatter like epoxy due to motor vibration.

Then install the aileron servos so that the servo tabs are on the interior of the fuselage. And finally, add all of your electronic gear. Cut slots in the interior foam walls to run the wiring to the battery area in the nose.

Pat
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:05 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Installing the Wing Spar, Hinging the Ailerons

First, “frame out” the spar slot with blue painters tape. This will prevent epoxy overrun onto the wing. Then flip the wing over and cover the other side of the spar slot with tape so that one side is “framed” and the other is completely covered.

Mix up your epoxy (5-minute works fine), and then completely fill the slot. Insert the spar into the epoxy and make sure it is fully encased in epoxy. Then use a scraper to remove the excess epoxy for a nice smooth finish. Add some weights to the wing to ensure it is nice and flat.

After the epoxy sets, but BEFORE it cures, carefully remove the painters tape from the wing. Pull the tape carefully to prevent ripping. You should be left with a nice smooth surface.

Hinge the ailerons to the wing using your preferred hinging method. Most people like to use packing tape. I prefer to use 3M Blenderm medical tape as it’s very flexible and sticks very well to depron. It’s easier to hinge now before putting the wing/fuse pieces together.

First, prep the ailerons by cutting or sanding angles in the leading edge based on your hinging method. Then attach the ailerons using your preferred hinging method.

Pat
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:10 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Installing the Wing, Top Rear Fuselage, Wing Strakes and Inlet Dividers

Glue the control horns onto the ailerons (hot glue works well here), then glue the wing in place. Install the servo control arms and aileron control rods.

Using a hot gun or rolling bar, curve the top rear fuselage to match the curvature of the rear fuselage sides, then glue into place.

Next, glue the forward wing strakes and intake dividers in place.

Pat
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:13 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Installing the Turtledeck, Vertical Stabs and Final Assembly

Glue on the turtledeck sides, ensuring the ends meet on the centerline of the top rear fuselage. Then pre-sand the turtledeck top and glue into place. Once the glue dries sand the edges round.

Prep the vertical stabilizers by sanding the leading edges to a sharp point. Then, using the angle guide, glue them securely in place.

Then sand the canopy to shape. Attach to the plane using toothpicks or scrap foam at the front, and Velcro or magnets at the rear. This completes assembly of the jet.

Optional Construction Tip – The wingtip missile rails are thin and have a tendency to break off due to hanger rash. You can secure them by either adding foam missiles, or using a piece of 6mm flat carbon to the outer edges.

Balancing the Plane
The CG (balance point) of the plane is 3.5” (89mm) forward of the end of the main wing where it meets the rear fuselage top.

Suggested Throw Setup
The F-18 needs very little actual throw in order to fly well, but is a lot of fun to fly with max servo throw. Start out with 1/4” on low rate and 1/2” on high rate, and adjust to your liking from there.

Flying
The best way to launch the F-18 is with a good strong overhand toss at about 3/4 throttle. Grab the plane by the lower fuse and toss out at a shallow nose up angle. A good hard throw will minimize (or eliminate altogether) torque roll on launch.

Happy Flying!

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Nov 22, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:43 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
awesome product Pat!!!!!!!!!

when do we get some vid of the pocket F-15..

and when will the pocket T-38 be up for sale???????????????????????????????
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:15 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Hey Brent!

The F-15 will be the next build out, and I should be able to get some vid when she's done. I've already built one prototype (pics are up on Steve's regular F-15 thread) and she flew sweet! Easy hand launch, and the big wing prevented any torque roll.

Not so much with the T-38. If you watch the vid above, you'll see that Vic likes to toss it up, let it torque, then just follow through with the roll.

Hope to have everything on the site before the end of the year.

Pat
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:49 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Awesome, Pat! I'm THRILLED to see the "Pocket Jets" finally come to life in kit form! And the kits look really nice, too. Simpler and less expensive than my original park jets, but fly just as well. Hopefully these will start a new trend!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:58 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
man, i need to do a park jet...for old times sake..those were simpler times! thanks for all the great memories and awesome designs steve! you started me on electrics! (its all your fault! )
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:29 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Great to see the Pocket Jets line started! They're not Half-Pints, but they will do.. I think I just may have to order your F/A-18. Been eyeing the NASA version at the Virginia Air & Space Center. This would make a nice quick build. Sold!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:45 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,273 Posts
Good one Pat, great to see you are going ahead with the Pocket Jets

It would be great if you could get someone in Australia to make them for you under license because it is so expensive to send over here …. unless you want to wait forever to get the goods (as we know from my order with you for the power pack) took quite a while and was very expensive if we wanted to send by courier

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:58 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to ship them over there for a decent rate that didn't take forever.

Pat
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:55 AM
& #@$ it, Dude. Let's go flyin
United States, NH
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
Just ordered one last night! Greatly looking forward to the build.
dropkickjohnny is offline Find More Posts by dropkickjohnny
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Hey Pat,

I received the package just before I left for work. Don't know if I'll start it tomorrow, but Fri at the latest. Looks like it's going to be a quick build. I'll post pics once I start. Thanks!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm