SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguilbau1 View Post
Hi Folks,

Can anyone point me to the build instructions for the Raptor. I suppose I can figure it out but I have learned if there is an easy way that I should probably try to take it. I am concerned about the tail assembly at this point.

Many thanks

Marc
Ali does a great video walkthrough

The manual for this plane is a joke. No parts list, not a single mention of which screw goes where. Very easy to strip threads when using a screw that's the wrong size. Once you get it built, it flies beautifully :-D
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,370 Posts
Name: IMG_1020.jpg
Views: 218
Size: 168.5 KB
Description:

I used the base of the go pro case for the mount. Just drilled 2 holes for bolts and hot glue. The 2 captive nuts are all ready on the underside.

Cut a hole in the black canopy cover so it fits over the camera and helps with drag and makes it a lot more secure.
cody069 is offline Find More Posts by cody069
Old May 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody069 View Post
Attachment 4863473

I used the base of the go pro case for the mount. Just drilled 2 holes for bolts and hot glue. The 2 captive nuts are all ready on the underside.

Cut a hole in the black canopy cover so it fits over the camera and helps with drag and makes it a lot more secure.
Looks good. I'm guessing you use your GoPro for live feed? I like to use a second FPV camera. Maybe I'll just do without pan and tilt and put the camera in the nose. Have any videos uploaded? Thanks again.
bearpants is offline Find More Posts by bearpants
Old May 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,370 Posts
I have one , but you can't vew it in some place because of the sound track I used.

Use the GoPro for Live out works ok.
cody069 is offline Find More Posts by cody069
Old May 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
What is the secret to hand launching this beast? I've had many smooth flights over the last two weeks, but I keep breaking the plane when I throw it. I'm pretty sure I've got the CG almost perfect as she's well balanced in the air and needed minimal trim to set her straight. I'm using a 3S 5000mah mounted roughly 2.5 inches from the nose. It definitely weighs her down compared to the stock 1800 but the CG is good and she flies beautifully... -when I can actually launch it without kissing the ground In the last 7 days I've repaired the right wing (completely ripped in half and broke off), the left wing (cracked 4 inches from the fuse outward), and the rudder (ripped 4 inches @ seam/hinge from the bottom up). Epoxy,CA, and a generous amount of strapping tape have kept her flying. I have a new Raptor arriving on Tuesday as a backup, as I've got a bunch of new FPV gear ready to go once I work out this launch problem.
So who's got some good advice for a total n00b to hand launching? Are you guys throwing her @ full throttle? Are you shoving it hard at a 45deg. angle or letting the plane do most of the work and releasing it gently? Here's a clip of me successfully getting her up in the air. As you can see it's a scary launch and I'm wondering if I'm giving too much throttle or just babying it and throwing it like a bitch
Excuse the blurrycam after launch, my son has yet to learn about autofocus. Focus returns @2:31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozmqsJpsujM
Last edited by Alpha1actual; May 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Can someone tell me what replacement screws I can use to bold down the wing?
You know, the four screws that hold down the wing to fuselage?

Thanks
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old May 21, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Can someone tell me what replacement screws I can use to bold down the wing?
You know, the four screws that hold down the wing to fuselage?

Thanks
I believe they are M3 .35 length .5 pitch. I was missing one of these in my kit and could not locate them anywhere. All the local hardware stores as well as Home Depot and Lowes didn't carry anything beyond .20 length. My local Hobby shop didn't have them either. Best bet is to order them online or drill new holes and use larger, stronger screws with wingnuts for hand tightening.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
What is the secret to hand launching this beast? ....
Hi Alpha! The Raptor has a problem with the motor angle when its hand launched. The motor should be pointing a couple of degrees more to the sky. You could rectify it with some washers on the motor mounting, but I really recomend you to simply take off from the grass.

In my group we have a couple of raptors, with and without modifications, and heavier the plane worst the hand launching. But my plane weighs about 2 kg, and take off in almost any surface, without landing gear, in about 15-20 meters, and for your video looks that you have a very nice grass runway
julupanter is offline Find More Posts by julupanter
Old May 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
I believe they are M3 .35 length .5 pitch. I was missing one of these in my kit and could not locate them anywhere. All the local hardware stores as well as Home Depot and Lowes didn't carry anything beyond .20 length. My local Hobby shop didn't have them either. Best bet is to order them online or drill new holes and use larger, stronger screws with wingnuts for hand tightening.

Do you think these would work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Z535-HPI...item336d66cab3

What screws is everyone else using to bolt down the wings? I've looked at Menards and Radio Shake for replacement of the four long ones but have not found anything.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old May 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupanter View Post
Hi Alpha! The Raptor has a problem with the motor angle when its hand launched. The motor should be pointing a couple of degrees more to the sky. You could rectify it with some washers on the motor mounting, but I really recomend you to simply take off from the grass.

In my group we have a couple of raptors, with and without modifications, and heavier the plane worst the hand launching. But my plane weighs about 2 kg, and take off in almost any surface, without landing gear, in about 15-20 meters, and for your video looks that you have a very nice grass runway
Thanks for the tip . I went back to that field today and tried to launch from grass and asphalt. The grass was too tall but I could see that she wanted to climb with enough speed. Asphalt launch nearly cost me both wings when the right wingtip touched the ground and pulled it hard right, missing a fence post by a few inches. The narrow parking lot isn't ideal for a takeoff without wheels.
So I took it back into the field, determined to get it in the air. Full throttle, and threw it hard @ a 75deg angle. Off she went into the sky with not even the slightest dip downward. Landed, launched again, and again with no more scary dives into the ground. You really have to throw this plane like you mean it when it's this heavy, and I don't think I'll ever be fully comfortable doing it when I've seen the results of a failed launch. Three times.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Do you think these would work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Z535-HPI...item336d66cab3

What screws is everyone else using to bolt down the wings? I've looked at Menards and Radio Shake for replacement of the four long ones but have not found anything.
Yes, I'm fairly sure those are the correct specs. After several dives into the ground the stock screws are holding up but I'd definitely consider modifying the stock mounts and using a standard, readily available screw with washers and wingnuts like Wirewolf did here. Easy enough fix and you'd be confident that those wings aren't going anywhere.
Last edited by Alpha1actual; May 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Yep. I crashed on a toss with mid throttle. You have to keep it full throttle and throw hard and level with no turns until at least 50ft out.
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old May 26, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Threw in all the gear after a few range checks. Three 20min flights with Dominator goggles and I'm hooked I flew with 2x 3s 2200mah (one for esc and one for vid tx) and got roughly 20 minutes each flight. I'm thinking the 2200mah for the video tx is overkill, and maybe the 1800mah that came with the plane for vid tx + a 5000mah for ESC would be a better fit for longer flights. I'm a little concerned about the combined weight of those two packs. What type of battery configs are you folks using?
Old May 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Running both plane and VT with one battery. 3s 2200. I only fly about 10 min. But don`t want to find the battery limit. I do have a small 3s 500 i can run the VT by itself but have not done it yet. Looks like the VT pulls very little juice.
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old May 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
203 Posts
Getting ready for my maiden flight

I have the 2m Raptor and I have everything built and ready to go. I am really concerned about the CG. My plane weighs about 5 lbs and I have the CG just behind the front wing by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I have never hand launched a plane of this weight before and I really hate the thought of crashing it after all the work to get it to this point. Has anyone used a trolly with wheels that remains on the ground after their plane took off? If so where did you get it.

Many thanks

Marc
mguilbau1 is offline Find More Posts by mguilbau1