SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Wow that's looking pretty neat, I'm sorry in advance if I just didn't see it, but what is the wingspan for this, I might want to wait for this to come out instead of getting a flying wing.
SamB125 is offline Find More Posts by SamB125
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:52 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Hi Sam,

Wingspan with winglets is 60".

I have the proto fuselage covered and will be covering the wings tomorrow. If all goes well we'll be test flying on Sunday between thunderstorms!!

Jimmy
jtprouty is online now Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Wow thats a big airplane! I can't wait to see it in action, good luck tomorrow!
Sam
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Almost ready to go. Have to install the ailerons and the motor/speed control and it's ready. Hope to fly Sunday.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:34 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,423 Posts
brilliant, I got bored emailing these guys http://www.grandhobby.com/rarecorc3chu1.html to see if this would ever be back in stock

subscribed.

Hope I can afford one!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,714 Posts
Jimmy,jtprouty

are the wings able to breakdown for Transport?
or is it glued solid permanently? 1 piece 60" will not fit in my trunk :-(

Good luck on the testing......
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:17 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Jimmy,jtprouty

are the wings able to breakdown for Transport?
or is it glued solid permanently? 1 piece 60" will not fit in my trunk :-(

Good luck on the testing......
Testing is being done on a 1 piece wing. There is a provision for two piece in the near future. One thing at a time!
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:30 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,195 Posts
I have the feeling that the airframe will suffer on a high speed landing. the winglets are likely to drag on touch down and in doing so make the model cartwheel.
then the rest is guessing which one of the winglets will break first or what other messy result.

I hope I am proven wrong, as it is a nice looking solution for a clean airframe
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I have the feeling that the airframe will suffer on a high speed landing. the winglets are likely to drag on touch down and in doing so make the model cartwheel.
then the rest is guessing which one of the winglets will break first or what other messy result.

Shouldn't a zephyr (And any other flying wing with fins) do the same thing then? Because it has its' winglets below the wing as well which should make the rest of the flying wings cartwheel
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Oh and good luck with today's maiden and happy easter
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Thanks, Sam!

The composite Jackaroo has the same design and zero problems with landing. The Foamaroo fuselage is deceivingly resilient and shouldn't have any problems being abused on landing.

Jimmy
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamB125 View Post
Shouldn't a zephyr (And any other flying wing with fins) do the same thing then? Because it has its' winglets below the wing as well which should make the rest of the flying wings cartwheel
I was saying this because it looks like the plane is resting on the wing tip and the nose blister when on the ground. Given the wingtips are made of coroplast I thought they would be vulnerable.
My flying wing has wingtips which don't protrude on the underside and it tends to flop on landing as opposed to slide. on more that one occasion a less than perfectly flat landing made the wing cartwheel.
here is my wing. it has a 4 wheel undercarriage which drops on take off. I made a fuselage out of liteply to house the battery and the electronics. in a way this is a similar but less elegant solution to the jackaroo. I can confirm this solution works well and is useful.
I am looking forward to see the progress of the Jackaroo.

good luck on the maiden and happy Easter to all

here it is on take off....feel free to use any ideas you might get from this

Telink Tempest (1 min 21 sec)
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,938 Posts
No those wingtips don't cause cartwheels and there is actually some secret sauce in them, but thats a secret.

Of course if you come in way too fast and clip something, any part of the airframe will cause a cartwheel.

Are they coroplast or are they Chris tips?
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post

Sorry to say you are very wrong. There are over 300hrs of CFD on top of 8 composite aircraft out there with no issues with landings or cartwheels. The bird will slow to a crawl and is very light. Just wait for the videos!

Cheers
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
No those wingtips don't cause cartwheels and there is actually some secret sauce in them, but thats a secret.

Of course if you come in way too fast and clip something, any part of the airframe will cause a cartwheel.

Are they coroplast or are they Chris tips?
We are trying to keep the cost down. The ones you see are chloroplast. If we need the tail weight we will add the composite sandwich winglets. They are nice as they spread the weight across the complete aircraft both horizontally and laterally. Its all about low cost and function ability.

Gary you are going to like this one....