HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:47 AM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
On the other side, for the first time with the Mossie, I'm thinking: "This plane will be my show plane only, this plane will be my show plane only" (that would be a first for me!) I always bring 2 or 3 boxes with me at the local park. Well, the way I see it now is "I'll bring the Mossie and only fly it when conditions are ideal, and only for show". What did happen to me?
Well that's definitely the way I'm thinking. Will be trying to resist doing anything too radical at all with this - given I'm not much more than a beginner and this will be my first 4ch plane that's the only way I'm not going to destroy it! Some nice coordinated turns will be good.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Well that's definitely the way I'm thinking. Will be trying to resist doing anything too radical at all with this - given I'm not much more than a beginner and this will be my first 4ch plane that's the only way I'm not going to destroy it! Some nice coordinated turns will be good.
What else have you flown?
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
What else have you flown?
A Champ, some FP helis and plenty of Phoenix sim time - will also be getting a FZ Albatros in the air soon (probably before the Mossie given UK release times). I can certainly bring anything back unharmed in the sim provided I don't get too wild.

Please don't tell me I'm not good enough to fly the Mossie!
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Last edited by aracer; Feb 25, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Haha, no I'm sure you will be fine! The mossie looks quite docile in the air, have the rates down low and you'll be rocking!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Ok so I'm back at work feverishly anticipating someone's unboxing & maiden photos/vids...

If you've flown a sim, just make sure it's not too windy and I'm sure you'll get the hang of the Mossie in less than 5 minutes.
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I would have thought the best way to handle the reversed prop would be to use the same motor turned backwards (output gear facing the rear), with the large prop shaft gear on the rear end of the prop shaft and the prop on the front. Propshaft and gearbox would be different, but motor and gears could be exactly the same. Gearbox would be longer to avoid a really long unsupported section of propshaft.

Unless there's really no issue with running one of these motors backwards.

I assume the one propshaft has reverse threads.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Last edited by CNY_Dave; Feb 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Just a guess but...

The motors are the same can size, I personally think that they are the same as the Mustang motors, but will require longer leads to get from the RX to the engine nacelles. There was a discussion a while back in this thread where we were discussing whether or not PZ had developed a whole new motor for the CCW rotating engine.

The part number is for 2 motors, so i guess that one is CW and the other is CCW rotating - tho i still think just reversing the polarity of one will suffice to achieve this.
It does use the same motor for left and right. "Motor (2): Mosquito
$18.99 [PKZU1309]".
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I would have thought the best way to handle the reversed motor would be to use the same motor turned backwards, with the large prop shaft gear on the rear end of the prop shaft and the prop on the front. Propshaft and gearbox would be different, but motor and gears could be exactly the same. Gearbox would be longer to avoid a really long unsupported section of propshaft.

Unless there's really no issue with running one of these motors backwards.

Dave
Me too, but someone earlier in the thread was explaining that just reversing the polarity would damage the brushes - we will have to wait and see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
It does use the same motor for left and right. "Motor (2): Mosquito
$18.99 [PKZU1309]".
If they are the same motor why do they sell them in packs of two? If they are the same just reverse polarised at the ESC pins then there's no need for packs of two. Anyone opened one up yet?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post

Dave
I couldn't find the prop shafts on the parts list.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:

If they are the same motor why do they sell them in packs of two? If they are the same just reverse polarised at the ESC pins then there's no need for packs of two. Anyone opened one up yet?
I think I read the parts listing wrong. I was thinking the "2" ment 2 required, but I think you are correct that it comes with both motors.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Decided to place my order today. I wasn't planning on spending any money until next week, but I figured hell if I buy it now at least I'll be able to fly it next Sunday if the weather permits. Very excited to see how this flies!
With only one battery, I hope the 160mahs will make her fly as well.
merx is offline Find More Posts by merx
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merx View Post
I hope the 160mahs will make her fly as well.
Depends on their C rating - if its high enough she will fly with them, but just not for long!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Me too, but someone earlier in the thread was explaining that just reversing the polarity would damage the brushes - we will have to wait and see!

That should have said 'reversed prop', rotaing the mnotor as describe4d would keep the motor roitating in the same direction while rteversing the prop.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Well, wires for the motors are in plain view, between the fuselage and the nacelles, so the first one who get a Mossie has to tell us the color of the motor wires. If they are different color (black and white on one side and something else on the other side) then they are different motors. If on the final products, the wires going from the Rx to the motors are both black and white, then, it's more likely the same motor.

So, the wait begin...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
My mossie is on the truck for delivery!!! anyone want detailed pic that was not seen yet? (non destructive please) !
Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321