HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:43 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxa View Post
Will fly it with a 6x4 until its trim and well balance.... and go to 4.75 x 5.5 if it survived the maiden flight!!!
I'll be doing the same, flying with a 6x4, then a 4.75x5.5 if my motor can handle it. Although, I've flown it on a 6x5.5 without cooking it.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:49 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
I think you'll go faster than 90... My Stryker with that same motor and a 6x4 sport prop hit's 90. This plane is dramatically more aerodynamic than the Stryker.

If the stock 24-33-3180 motor can hit 120 mph, you'll most likely be over 100 mph as well. How much over? Don't know...

That 50 amp esc will be overkill... A 6x4 sport prop with 3s draws around 27-28 amps...
I think we've discussed this motor before over in the Stryker thread. I've been flying this motor on a 6x5.5 @ ~37A. I've only dopplered it, and got about 94mph...but I don't trust it. I swear it was only moving about 80-85mph.

I guess I'll just have to get some video of the Rifle and doppler it for comparison. Hopefully I still have the old Stryker videos.

I know the ESC is overkill, but my other ESCs are 35A and under plus a 80A and 100A. So this one fit the bill. Unfortunately, it's opto, so now I also have the weight of the BEC.

All the components are overweight, the motor, ESC, servos, even the Rx is on the larger side. We'll see what AUW is and take it from there. With a 6" prop, I'm not too worried about hand launching, but a 4.75" makes me nervous.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:56 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
amp wise the 4.75 x 5.5 will be less amps than the 6x4 but you're right about the launch. The 4.75 x 5.5 has a pitiful static thrust rating till it gets going...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:58 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Thanks... for sure it look good!! but it overweight by 5oz
!!!

RTF: 680 grams... 24oz
Wing loading 30oz/sq.ft!!!

Will fly it with a 6x4 until its trim and well balance.... and go to 4.75 x 5.5 if it survived the maiden flight!!!
I wouldnt go any higher than 4.75 pitch on the stock ammo, especially with the big battery as mine was drawing over 30 amps on the 4.75x4.75.. and running VERY hot. 6x4 is gonna get toasty too...
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:04 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Frank Noll was flying it with the stock setup at our airshow over the weekend and it was plenty fast with the apc 4.75x4.75
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:16 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Frank Noll was flying it with the stock setup at our airshow over the weekend and it was plenty fast with the apc 4.75x4.75
hmm wonder if his is modded for strenth? he needs to read this thread...
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:18 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Hey nexxa,
Where did you get yours and where do you fly it? Im in Montreal too and would love to see this thing!
forsakenrider is online now Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:25 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Well, knowing better of it, I tried to use the stock screws to fasten the horizontal stab. And of course, it snapped in half. Luckily, I have some very good EZ-Outs. And I spent all that time sanding the saddle to get it to sit perfectly flush.

Off to the LHS or Home Depot for some quality fasteners.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:43 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Question for you guys:

I don't want to cut into the wing. In my eyes, most of the structural strength comes from the glass sheeting, and I don't want to compromise that.

I have about 15ft of CF thread here. I'm thinking of sanding the paint down, and wrapping the wing length wise with CF thread, then using 30min epoxy and brushing it over the thread. I'll have to make sure the thread stays taut to get the most benefit.

It may not be super strong, but do you think it'll be worth the added weight?
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:33 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook View Post
Question for you guys:

I don't want to cut into the wing. In my eyes, most of the structural strength comes from the glass sheeting, and I don't want to compromise that.

I have about 15ft of CF thread here. I'm thinking of sanding the paint down, and wrapping the wing length wise with CF thread, then using 30min epoxy and brushing it over the thread. I'll have to make sure the thread stays taut to get the most benefit.

It may not be super strong, but do you think it'll be worth the added weight?
I'm thinking a wing spar is mandatory. It's also a lot easier than what your planning to do. The epoxy will make up for cutting into the wing and you will have a stronger wing afterwards.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 08, 2010, 08:31 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Thanks Jacko, just the info I needed!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Jun 08, 2010, 01:00 PM
Nexxa
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
Hey nexxa,
Where did you get yours and where do you fly it? Im in Montreal too and would love to see this thing!
Hi, Im flying at Club Mars (Mascouche/Lachenaie). I will try it tonight and if it survived the night, will fly it next weekend with the right setup (prop/lipo).

I bought it online at HobbyHobby.com (134$ CAD with UPS shipping, it tooks 2 days from the order to my door). The only place i found it in stock, but I took the last one!!
nexxa is offline Find More Posts by nexxa
Old Jun 08, 2010, 02:21 PM
Nexxa
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Test flight tonight For sure I will bring my video camera

I will test 3S 1300mAh 35C and 3S 2200mAh 25C on:
APC 6x4
APC 4.75 x 4.75
APC 4.75 x 5.5

I will log Amps draw and Rpm and result!

Im nervous, it didn't happen since a long time ago! maybe not a good thing!
Never flew an airplane as small as this one....
The smallest a flew was an over weight, over power Wonder (.37 heli, tune pipe), Great planes P51 combat (same setup) and a custom Lanier Shrike 10 (same setup)! All these were in 120-135mph range.

to be continued...
nexxa is offline Find More Posts by nexxa
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:26 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Test flight tonight For sure I will bring my video camera

I will test 3S 1300mAh 35C and 3S 2200mAh 25C on:
APC 6x4
APC 4.75 x 4.75
APC 4.75 x 5.5

I will log Amps draw and Rpm and result!

Im nervous, it didn't happen since a long time ago! maybe not a good thing!
Never flew an airplane as small as this one....
The smallest a flew was an over weight, over power Wonder (.37 heli, tune pipe), Great planes P51 combat (same setup) and a custom Lanier Shrike 10 (same setup)! All these were in 120-135mph range.

to be continued...
A 6x4 is just too big, but with those other props, launch with full throttle.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:10 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Alright, I'm gonna use an APC 5.5x4.5 to start. On the Turnigy 2835-2700, I got 30.2A, 11.09V, for 335W.

I need some new batteries for sure.

At a rough guess of 28k RPM, that gives a pitch speed of 119.31MPH. Figuring I'll hit somewhere around 85-90% of this, that'll be about 101-107MPH.

Of course, this is based on static testing. If I account for unloading in the air, I may very well hit 120MPH. Some better batteries would make a big difference too.

I'm not happy with the servos installed right now, so I'm going to the LHS to get some new ones tomorrow. While I'm there I'll pick up some CF for the wing.

Also, I replaced the screws for the horizontal stab with some 3x14mm wood screws.

I'm really having a hard time finding somewhere for my RX. I'm using an Airtronics 8ch RX, and it's pretty big. The only place is way up in the nose, but I'm already gonna be battling a nose heavy plane. I might open up the rear vent, then close it some after installing the RX. We'll see.

It'll come together, and I'll make sure to get some video. Hopefully this weekend.