Find More Posts by sfakias
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Thessaloniki
Joined Jun 2008
584 Posts
Discussion
Plans for Skywalker like scratch built plane

Hi all!

The skywalker is a very popular plane designed with FPV applications in mind.
Since I am a dedicated scratch builder, I decided to make a skywalker lookalike plane to house my FPV electronics.

Having read this therad, and using the info in this thread (thank you henkvdw) and this thread, I made a drawing in AutoCAD of a Skywalker like scratch built plane. I share the drawing here with everyone, since I consider your oppinion and input very valuable. Please have a look at it and comment. The drawing is a first approach, so the idea is that it will evolve based on the discussion that I am trying io initiate here. I feel that due to the nature of the plane, the thread belongs to the FPV section, and not the scratch building section.

For the drawing itself, I kept the dimensions of the original skywalker. Two main changes were made:
-I lowered the boom (in order to accept up to 12" props easily)
-I simplified the wing design using the NACA 4412 airfoil from root to tip, but keeping the polyhedral angles and dimensions the same.
Also, the geometry of the fuse is not a very accurate representation of the original, but for us foam scratch builders, this should not matter much, as you can allways sand to taste!

I am from Greece, so the drawing is 1:1 scale in mm. I have not included any dimensions because they would clutter the drawing too much, but you can measure anything, provided that you have a CAD program. Of course, you can allways Google "free dxf viewer" - some of them even allow measurements to be taken.

I could not find an easy way to share the drawing to members without acess to CAD without having to prepare a detailed multi-page drawing - if someone can suggest something, please do!

I hope that some people will find this drawing useful and even start building it, and that it will become even better with your collective input.

Unfortunatelly due to work and family commitments, I have not done any serious progress in building it, I managed only to prepare the hot wire templates for the wing and tail group up to now, but I will eventually enjoy the adrenaline just before its maiden!

So, lets get this rolling!
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Last edited by sfakias; Sep 30, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybee
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Very nice, sfakias!
Jaybee is offline Find More Posts by Jaybee
Old May 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by kstmark
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
233 Posts
Subscribe. I hope that you will find spare time to build this bird. Looking forward for building tips and photos
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
Old May 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by henkvdw
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
809 Posts
Great job sfakias.
The Aileron cut-lines should be perpendicular to the trailing edge.
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
Old May 30, 2011, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by Flightbox
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2010
150 Posts
Don't have CAD, Sounds like a nice build.
Flightbox is offline Find More Posts by Flightbox
Old May 30, 2011, 07:29 AM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
584 Posts
Henkvdw, I thought the same as well, but the impression I got by looking at photos of the Skywalker was that the aileron cut lines were parallel to the longitudal axis of the plane. Binding should not be a problem, provided a small gap is left between the aileron sides and the wing (it is the same case with rudder and vertical stab). However, since you have a real Skywalker in hand, I can not object to what you say . I updated the drawing to reflect this. I post a .pdf file for those that do not have CAD capability, but of course it is not to scale. When we feel that the drawing is more or less OK, I will publish the latest .dxf and also a tiled .pdf that will print out 1:1 in A4 size paper.
I am afraid that this will be a slow build for me due to time constraints. Maybe someone else may embark on building it too, with greater progress than myself.

Please keep the suggestions coming folks!
Old May 30, 2011, 08:21 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightbox View Post
Don't have CAD, Sounds like a nice build.
Download an evaluation copy of Rhino.
The evaluation copy is fully functional with expiration limits.
After the evaluation period expires, it will still work as a reader for a lot of drafting/modeling formats.

http://download.rhino3d.com/rhino/4....tion/download/
Old May 30, 2011, 08:25 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Henkvdw, I thought the same as well, but the impression I got by looking at photos of the Skywalker was that the aileron cut lines were parallel to the longitudal axis of the plane. Binding should not be a problem, provided a small gap is left between the aileron sides and the wing (it is the same case with rudder and vertical stab). However, since you have a real Skywalker in hand, I can not object to what you say . I updated the drawing to reflect this. I post a .pdf file for those that do not have CAD capability, but of course it is not to scale. When we feel that the drawing is more or less OK, I will publish the latest .dxf and also a tiled .pdf that will print out 1:1 in A4 size paper.
I am afraid that this will be a slow build for me due to time constraints. Maybe someone else may embark on building it too, with greater progress than myself.

Please keep the suggestions coming folks!
Agreed, should not make a big difference whether perpendicular with trailing or leading edge.
Apology, I should have stated "should be perpendicular to the trailing edge to be the same as SW".
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by dec03001
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2011
106 Posts
How is this going?
dec03001 is offline Find More Posts by dec03001
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Strudel
Joined Jan 2011
143 Posts
Where can we download the updated CAD file? :-D
Strudel is offline Find More Posts by Strudel
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
584 Posts
I am glad there is some interest! To be honest I expected more interest for the plans of such a popular FPV plane. Maybe I should have posted in the scratch building section of the forum...

Anyway, gents I upload here the .dwg as it stands at the moment. Also, I upload the fuselage tiled drawing in A4 size, and a pdf containing the airfoils that are used, again in A4 size.

Regarding the build progress, as I had predicted, it is dramatically slow here. Except of the CAD work, I managed to cut the aluminum sheet airfoil templates, and paper templates for the fuse. I also use paper templates to help me position accurately the aluminum airfoils on the sides of the foam block prior to the hot wire cutting. You can find relative pictures attached.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by badzz
Paris
Joined May 2010
103 Posts
Would be nice to have a 3D model. This way I would be able to try my pan tilt on it ..8)
badzz is online now Find More Posts by badzz
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
I am glad there is some interest! To be honest I expected more interest for the plans of such a popular FPV plane. Maybe I should have posted in the scratch building section of the forum...
The SW is popular *because* we don't have to build it from scratch. It already
has most of the FPV specific design features we want off the shelf.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badzz View Post
Would be nice to have a 3D model. This way I would be able to try my pan tilt on it ..8)
I do not have the resources to create a 3D model. If you are competent with 3D CAD you can create a 3D model based on the three views that I made. If you do so, please do not forget to share it with us.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by seu_nick
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Hi my name is Ricardo.
It's been a long time I'm looking for plants Skywalker model.
I would really like a friend here in the forum show me where I can get.
I'm from Brazil and I have difficulties to find here in the forum in English.
This project looks good to me sfakias flight camera.
But would like to pdf and measures.
I appreciate if someone help me.
thanks
seu_nick is offline Find More Posts by seu_nick