New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,690 Posts
Both Dans 750 and my 800 kv motors are on 4s with an 8 pitch prop. So a lot more speed. Actually overkill. But it sure is fun.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,364 Posts
Dan the man you are basically asking an impossible question. What caused this failure??? It is totally possible your horizontal was weakened by your accidents prior to the last flight. It is possible you overstressed it during flight. They just don't break for no reason so I am just putting out my 2 cents. Doubtful you will ever really know and the thousands of these things out there is proof that tail is correct on it. I would just replace it and go flying again, stuff happens.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is online now Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
305 Posts
Hey Guys,

Many thanks for all that. I also had a chat to Doc as well and given the running Gregertman has had chances are I just got very unlucky.

Just for the record in stock configuration the 48" EXP are bullet proof. I've had three of them (Edge, MXS and the Extra) and when I look at the punishment I gave the Edge because that was the plane I learnt on on 4S with the standard torque motor you can take these things to hell and back and they'll just smile and keep on coming.

The only reason I flagged was that I was running a very high powered setup and to see whether anybody else had encountered the same thing.

The two things that got me about this accident was the following,
*There was no warning.
*The relatively easy life the exta had. On it's second accident sure it went in from an inverted flat spin but the canopy was fine.

In terms of the load for this particular flight it barely would have pulled a g.

That being said in the washup I probably just got unlucky.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,690 Posts
So what are you waiting for? Order another one already you know you want to.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,364 Posts
The problem is when you have things hit your tail or a crash and you think there is no damage that does not mean anything. There can be a hairline crack/split in some wood that does not feel apparent or is visible but over time with some more punishment like high G stuff it will continue to split/crack until it fails. There are more scenarious I could give you but truthfully we will never really know.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is online now Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by flygilmore
Pro Bro #1963
United States, VA, Dublin
Joined Mar 2004
1,017 Posts
True....
and it's amazing to watch slow-mo crashes where you can really see just how much planes/parts flex on impact where in real time, it might not look bad at all!
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jul 27, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by FlyCush
Joined Nov 2007
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
NOTE - 48" Extra EXP elevator failure on a High powered setup.

Hey Guys,

I've just had a pretty nasty elevator failure on my 48" Extra EXP airframe. I've been running a Motrofly DM 3615 750 kV running a 14 x 8 prop. Effectively it's a poor man's version of the new Torque v2 motor. I was pumping out about 900W.

I'm putting this out there as a warning for guys testing this configuration.

Effectively this was the life of the airframe. I purchased it in February of this year and I ran it on the stock setup until a couple of weeks ago. This was the typical flight regime

*Knife Edge spin at full throttle going down.
*Full throttle snap rolls
*Vertical climbs snapping into flat spins and inverted flat spins.

Typically about one per flight.

Elevator deflection was +/- 60 deg. Rudder deflection +/- 45 deg.

In terms of damage this is what the airframe sustained,

*Dropped my iPhone on the horizontal stap. This is just knocked it loose and thin medium and CA sorted it out.
*When I first shifted it to the Motrofly motor the esc popped out and she locked into an inverted flat spin into the ground. It was a medium hit but the I checked the rear of the aircraft and it looked fine.

Anyway got it all sorted out. I flew it for a couple of weeks on the standard torque power setup with no issues. Then I put in the Motrofly motor. The first week no worries. In terms of airframe performance it is a quantum leap. A lot faster, I'd estimate at least 120 km/h and it's much more aggressive in the spins.

Anyway this week it was totally flawless. It flew like a dream. Then today I took it up, slight down trim and she was going quick. Then the horizontal stab just snapped. I almost got it back then it went straight in from 20m. The airframe and engine is a total write off. It looked like a flutter failure.

I'm attaching the pictures of the failure below. With the new Torque v2 in the pipe we are about to put a lot more load in the airframe so I want to get to the bottom of what happened. I might have been unlucky but Chris and Curtis do you want to have a look at this. Also anybody else feel free to throw in their two cents worth. I want to get to the bottom of what happened.

Here are my current reflections. In stock configuration you can flog this thing and she'll just smile at you and keep on coming. However the events of this afternoon have put a big question on mark on how she'll hold up in high powered mode.

Don't get me wrong in terms of performance this combination of a 900W+ motor and a 14 x 8 motor transforms the plane. Flying this thing on this configuration is highly addictive. Once your on it but you can't stop. However with the Torque v2 just around the corner the last thing I want to see happen is airframes getting the damage that you wouldn't think about in the standard configuration but becoming an issue on this one. The accident has just shocked me a bit.

Look chances are I've just been unlucky but I would be curious to see how other guys have fared on these high powered setups.

Thanks Guys

Danny
Did you check any elevator extentions? I had the same thing happen after a previous accident. Turned out to be the signal wire was jarred enough to wiggle around causing glitches and the eventual crash.
FlyCush is offline Find More Posts by FlyCush
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Schnurr75
Ron
United States, PA, Tarentum
Joined Jan 2015
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
Ok The Maiden Report,
I like the way this plane flies, I went with 130 omega " because I had one " with the Airboss 45 esc on 3s 2200s -13 x 6.5 xoar prop. It felt light just like I like it. I dont care for a lot of speed but I do want enough power to pull out of trouble and the vertical was a little weak. After about 4 flights I went to a 12 x 6 apc on 4s 2500s - Plenty of power then but my rolling harriers required more input down low and slow not that light feel as the 3s. All flights with cg neutral
I think the 13 x 6.5 is my prop of choice for the way I like to fly.
So what motor and esc on 3s and 13 x 6.5 should I consider using?
Wheres your 2200 placement? You got any pics cause im having a hard time balancing it. I got the same motor as well.
Schnurr75 is offline Find More Posts by Schnurr75
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:11 PM
Ron
Joined Jan 2015
159 Posts
Anyone got a red right wing for sale?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:12 PM
Ron
Joined Jan 2015
159 Posts
Please
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
305 Posts
Hey Boys,

Radio gear was fine that wasn't an issue.

Jeff I think your right. The first crash probably setup a hair line fracture that with the increased loading accelerated rather rapidly. I've got my old MXS and I'm going to do some static load testing on that. More for my own curiousity than anything else.

Gregertman - As always mate love your style. I'm sort of tossing up between an Extra and a Laser as to what the replacement will be.

Thanks again guys.

All the Best

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurr75 View Post
Please
Hang tight. Parts are on the way. Everything just got bogged down a little with the move, merge and all of that.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
I'm sort of tossing up between an Extra and a Laser as to what the replacement will be.
I'de suggest that you get another Extra, just because you didn't have that one long enough.

I always replace a crashed plane right away and then I never have any regrets about it. If I get tired of it and sell it, that's different, but when I crash one it is like a loss I have to rectify.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:54 PM
Ron
Joined Jan 2015
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Hang tight. Parts are on the way. Everything just got bogged down a little with the move, merge and all of that.
Thanks doc your the man