Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:13 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
274 Posts
Question
Discovery quad very high gains, normal?

Hi!

Built a Discovery with Naza M-Lite with GPS, 2-axis GLB gimbal and motors that were slightly underpowered due to unforeseen reasons.

I went through Pitch and Roll gains and set these but not Yaw and atti which was quite sluggish but totally flyable. After I got home I checked the gains and Pitch was set to a whopping 290 and Roll 268 but these was still not fully crisp at this time which really surprised me. One of them was very close though (don't remember which) but not the other but I couldn't go higher since the knob was bottomed out.

Are these gains normal for a discovery quad with this setup?

Weight around 1950g all included.

Regards Henry
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:31 AM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
2,930 Posts
No, my gains on naza v2 are much lower... I use the gains for the F450 frame and they work pretty well.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
As far as I understand Gain is a product of weight,power,propeller size and axial placement.
If it is like you say, that your motors are underpowered for those 2kg of quad your gains will be off compared to a ballanced system. Nothing wrong with is as long as it flyes well
Mrimstad is online now Find More Posts by Mrimstad
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 AM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
274 Posts
You got a good point there. So it is this sensitive when a little out of power and this is how its shows in this case, very interesting and good to know. Well as long as everything else is ok that is.

And now when I think about it so have I also built a bigger quad a year ago that could in appearance resemble fex a F450 or so but bigger. This weigh close to 200g more then the disco but this one have 4 strong 1100kv D3530/14 motors with 10x6 props on and is it feels like these are perfectly suited for this weight/quad and it also flies perfect. The gains for this one however is also a lot lower around 160 - 180, so its good to know.

I have recently got 4 new motors like the ones for the other quad, now its only time needed to change them out.

Thanks guys!

Regards Henry
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.