HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined May 2014
82 Posts
Help!
Help me decide my first kit :)

Hey guys!

Birthday is coming and I get the chance to get my first "serious" kit.
I cant decide in between the blade 550x combo or the 600x combo. I though also to maybe get the 700x kit and buy the electronics myself.
I really dont know what to do.
My bigger heli so far is a 300cfx.
I like the idea of blade because I can get the spares on my local hobby shop without much problem and the guy also gives me a 10% off everytime. Also, lots of videos and info on blade on the net so I guess I can get a lot of help if I needed to
Also I need to decide relatively quick as my sister is on the US at the moment and she can bring it over to europe and save me at least 400 usd in taxes and so on.
What do you guys think?
Thanks!

Regards!
GibiJoe is offline Find More Posts by GibiJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:53 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
If you have the budget then bigger flies better (and easier)
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined May 2014
82 Posts
Well.
I mean. Lets say I have somewhere around 1500 usd and a dx6i. I think I can stick with this radio until xmas. Lets say I spend 200 on a decent charging station.
I also have most tools Id need (I think) except for a decent soldering machine but Ive seen some pretty decent ones for about 50 bucks.
Lets say my budget is
1300 ( For now, as an original investment) then I could upgrade components and buy better stuff little by little.
With that budget... What yould you get?
Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:16 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
I think the 600x fits your budget best, leaving enough spare to get a few sets of batteries. The 700 is a big step up cost wise.

I have 500, 600 and a 700 size helis. The 600 is probably my favourite all round as it flies like a big heli (smooth and stable) but is a little less intimidating than the 700.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined May 2014
82 Posts
Great!

Thanks for your advice. I think im gonna go with the 600 then. Since I am ordering from the US and shipping is expensive, would you please recommend which extras/spares you think I may need? Im talking things that break easy and so on.
Im a little lost

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:40 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
I'm not sure buying crash spares makes a whole lot of sense because usually if you do crash you end up breaking different parts to what you thought. Consumables like bearings and maybe tail blades and tail drive bevel gears might be worth grabbing.

I dont have that specific model so i dont know if there are any parts that are especially vulnerable.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 08:56 PM
I can fly 2.5 D
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Apr 2013
1,403 Posts
Hey bud..I'd hold up on spares. Just get the heli and try to go real nice on her. I have a 600size and had a recent auto-crash which cost me $30 in repairs, but I heard if you dig yours in, it's a rekit or close to that...

oh, yeh...one more thing big one flies so cool. Actually sounds more like a turbine...well, a little quiter, but you get the point, and blades sing the sweetest base you can ever hear.

Final thing....300 size will feel like a toy when you pick up the "big" one. Good luck on your purchase, POST PIX!!!!! when you get it.
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:53 AM
Joined May 2014
82 Posts
So I pulled the trigger.
Ordered the 550x
Also bought a dx9 and got this charger second hand from a guy I meet at my LHS.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Charger.html

Now I am trying to find a suitable power source. I saw this one but Im not sure that will work with the charger. What do you guys think?

http://www.freakware.de/en/p/netztei...22-a102202.htm

Also, Im not sure I have all the tools I need:
My current "shop" consists of:
2 x 1.5 mm hex wrenches
1 x 2 mm hex wrenches
1 revolution ball link pliers
Phillips screwdrivers 00, 0
4 & 3 mm nuts
a set of assorted tweezzers
Hemostats
Zap blue thread locker
A couple of different greases ( All special for aluminum, my roomate works building up transmissions and he hooked me up with some premium stuff )
a servo tester
a hobby king digital pitch gauge
a hobby king battery medic
a crappy battery powered soldering iron (Im upgrading this as soon as someone advice me as to which one, which power, etc)
a set of hobby knifes.
Digital 150mm calipers
a magnifing glass with different clamps and so on.

Anything you guys think I need?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 06:01 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
That power supply would do the job but might be a bit short on power if you want to get the full 350W from your charger. That's because the charger isn't 100% efficient so needs a bit more power going in than it outputs. Ideally you would be looking for a power supply of 450W or more.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined May 2014
82 Posts
Hmm.

I guess that if it is enough to get by for now Ill get that one as the price is nice and I totally killed myself with the DX9. OR
I could cancel the order for the dx9 and get the new dx6 and invest some more on the power supply,
What do you think?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:44 AM
I can fly 2.5 D
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Apr 2013
1,403 Posts
my 6s 5000mah batt charges about 1 hour with balancing...I'm doing 5 amps, but it ends up pulling like 12amps because of step up to 22v from 12v from the power supply. (power supply has max 15 amps)

I'd say it's pretty doable unless you want to charge batts in 5 mins
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jun 28, 2014, 09:31 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
I'd stick with the DX9 and save some extra money and pick up a DPS-600PB server power supply off eBay. All you need do is solder on a couple of wires (with your new iron) and you have a top notch power supply.

On the other hand the one you linked to will work fine if you just slightly limit your charge rate.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:05 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibiJoe View Post
Also, Im not sure I have all the tools I need:

a crappy battery powered soldering iron (Im upgrading this as soon as someone advice me as to which one, which power, etc)
Anything you guys think I need?
Thanks!
As you appear to shop HK a bit and looking for a bargain, for your Soldering iron have a look at THIS.

It has a high/variable temp operating range and also has (IMO) the most important feature of a Ceramic heating element (important when doing thick wiring).
I have one (tho it's had little use to date) and for the $$$ is a great budget station that should survive till you can save for the likes of a Hakko for eg.

Cheers
scanner62 is online now Find More Posts by scanner62