HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2014, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Discussion
blade 130x ; keep breaking tail components

I went from a blade 120sr and now have a 130x ; starting to "get it" but have yet to have a flight (mostly low hovering) where one of too many tail parts has not broken, sheared off the tiny screws in the tail rotor shaft, etc... possibly too advanced for my new to heli skills; mostly a 3d foamie flyer. keep with it? or sell the 130x and get a mcpx or nano or something from walkera? Mostly front yard flying in tight quarters. thanks for your opinion.
hsp-sandiego is offline Find More Posts by hsp-sandiego
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2014, 11:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,367 Posts
Any of those is going to be a jump for you. Micro CP helis are not easy to fly. An MCPx would be a good choice, lots fewer breakable parts. A Blade Nano Qx quad would be an even better choice. It will make the transition a lot easier.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 04, 2014, 11:50 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Oct 2008
72 Posts
I went from a V911 to a 130x. I did practice on a simulator for a while though. I have gone through the same pains as you. The 130x breaks easy and often when learning. I have slowly up graded my parts to metal and have started 3d designing and printing some that aren't to small. I have had it for a year now and probably only have 30ish flights on it because its always broken.

Weather you keep it or not is up to you but you. Better to buy something else as well so when one is broken you can fly the other. Quads are easier in some ways just depends what you want to learn.
slimdog is offline Find More Posts by slimdog
Old Jan 05, 2014, 09:49 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,545 Posts
Many find out hard way going from a V911/ 120 SR to hi-performance bird like 130X things will break. False sence of flying a heli. Fly-bared begginer helis are nothing like a c/p. Sim helps but as some find out real life is much different. We all learn by doing. Nano QX/ MSR-X/ help to advance to c/p. Mcp-x is great first c/p/ Walkera Super c/p also.
there are upgrades to 130X as easy to break tail gears. Metal upgrades boca bearings are good start. Put up that 130X and save it for later. C/P helis can give you great joy or misery. depends on how you go. Be patient and move a realistic pace. We all like cool fast heli but get real. Reading about your heli on many threads is a big help. Learning to fly c/p takes careful amount of time. C/P's don't cut you no slack when begining.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 05, 2014, 02:12 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
389 Posts
I've been flying R/C helicopters for 6 years. I've owned helicopters ranging in size from a Nano CP X to a T-Rex 450 SE. My favorite helicopter is the 130X. However, I would not recommend a 130X for a beginner learning to fly a collective pitch. It isn't durable. It's tricky to repair.

I've owned a mCP X V1 and Nano CP X. My Nano CP X was better than my mCP X in every way. It flew better. It was more durable.

I've flown both a mSR (flybarred) and mSR X (flybarless). The mSR X feels just like a collective pitch helicopter except that it can't fly upside down. It's a great trainer for collective pitch. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued.

I've also flown a Nano QX quadcopter. It's a great flying helicopter, but it's not a trainer for collective pitch. The Nano QX, and the mSR (flybarred), the mCX, and the 120 SR are self stabilizing. If you let go of the sticks they self level. Collective pitch helicopters (and the fixed pitch mSR X) do not self level. When you let go of the sticks they hold the current orientation. This behavior allows collective pitch helicopters to be aerobatic.

If you prefer a self-stabilizing helicopter, I much prefer the behavior of the (electronically stabilized) Nano QX. All the mechanically stabilized helicopters exhibit an annoying "pendulum" affect. If you change the velocity abruptly, they swing back and forth as if on a pendulum.

For me, the best collective pitch trainer is the simulator. Although the simulator doesn't match a model perfectly, skills acquired from simulation transfer extremely well.

For example, I required my son (at the time in middle school) to practice hovering and circuits, upright and inverted on the simulator for 10 minutes every day. He practiced for a year. Then I let him try flying a model (my T-Rex 450 SE) for the first time. Within 3 battery packs he was flying it around both upright and inverted.

I still practice on the simulator for 20 minutes a day. If I didn't, repairs would be too expensive and time consuming.

Edit: I edited the post to reflect that my mCP X was the brushed V1. I can't say anything about the mCP X BL because I've never flown one.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Last edited by ifoguy; Jan 09, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy View Post
I've been flying R/C helicopters for 6 years. I've owned helicopters ranging in size from a Nano CP X to a T-Rex 450 SE. My favorite helicopter is the 130X. However, I would not recommend a 130X for a beginner learning to fly a collective pitch. It isn't durable. It's tricky to repair.

I've owned a mCP X and Nano CP X. My Nano CP X was better than my mCP X in every way. It flew better. It was more durable.

I've flown both a mSR (flybarred) and mSR X (flybarless). The mSR X feels just like a collective pitch helicopter except that it can't fly upside down. It's a great trainer for collective pitch. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued.

I've also flown a Nano QX quadcopter. It's a great flying helicopter, but it's not a trainer for collective pitch. The Nano QX, and the mSR (flybarred), the mCX, and the 120 SR are self stabilizing. If you let go of the sticks they self level. Collective pitch helicopters (and the fixed pitch mSR X) do not self level. When you let go of the sticks they hold the current orientation. This behavior allows collective pitch helicopters to be aerobatic.

If you prefer a self-stabilizing helicopter, I much prefer the behavior of the (electronically stabilized) Nano QX. All the mechanically stabilized helicopters exhibit an annoying "pendulum" affect. If you change the velocity abruptly, they swing back and forth as if on a pendulum.

For me, the best collective pitch trainer is the simulator. Although the simulator doesn't match a model perfectly, skills acquired from simulation transfer extremely well.

For example, I required my son (at the time in middle school) to practice hovering and circuits, upright and inverted on the simulator for 10 minutes every day. He practiced for a year. Then I let him try flying a model (my T-Rex 450 SE) for the first time. Within 3 battery packs he was flying it around both upright and inverted.

I still practice on the simulator for 20 minutes a day. If I didn't, repairs would be too expensive and time consuming.
great post,thank you; I have a nano cp X coming in a few days with a nice setup of crash kit, 7 batteries, charge board, several sets of kbdd tails and main blades. should be fun. I can fly the 130x in circuits and hover the little bird; maybe too use to the durability of my foamie lol. will put 100 packs through the nano then get the 130x out once i am flying the nano in basic 3D mode.

Love that your son is flying helis... I flew "junior pattern" and my dad loved watching me grow with r/c. heli's are a new challenge for myself... cool stuff for sure. my 5 year old drives our fast hydro boats at our pond with my help of course and i love that; priceless.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 11:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdog View Post
I went from a V911 to a 130x. I did practice on a simulator for a while though. I have gone through the same pains as you. The 130x breaks easy and often when learning. I have slowly up graded my parts to metal and have started 3d designing and printing some that aren't to small. I have had it for a year now and probably only have 30ish flights on it because its always broken.

Weather you keep it or not is up to you but you. Better to buy something else as well so when one is broken you can fly the other. Quads are easier in some ways just depends what you want to learn.
glad to hear i am not alone. going for a nano cp x then will break out the 130 again. quad? nah. thanks for the post!
Old Jan 07, 2014, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
fixed pitch pendulum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy View Post

I've owned a mCP X and Nano CP X. My Nano CP X was better than my mCP X in every way. It flew better. It was more durable.

i have flown my 120 sr to it's limits for some time; the pendulum effect is annoying! as you mentioned. you have to basically correct before it happens (which i have gotten good at). anyway, it is going up on ebay right now. btw, I grew up in mountain view, ca not far from you; flew (nitro of course) at pioneer field in milpitas. thanks for your time for my post and great response. - harry in san diego, ca.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
389 Posts
You're welcome.

I edited my post to make it clear that I owned the brushed mCP X; not the brushless mCP X BL.

I was very impressed with my Nano CP X. It could do everything that my 130X could do except tic-tocs. Loops, flips, circuits forward and backward, inverted and upright, funnels inverted and upright, tail up and tail down.

It lost too much head speed and would bog doing tic-tocs.

It's really great that the Nano CP X is now selling for $100. I paid $150 for mine when they first came out.

If your son stays interested in r/c you're in for a treat. My son learned to fly when he was in Kindergarten. He loves going out each week to fly with me and his friends. It's really wonderful when you can share something like that.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego View Post
I went from a blade 120sr and now have a 130x ; starting to "get it" but have yet to have a flight (mostly low hovering) where one of too many tail parts has not broken, sheared off the tiny screws in the tail rotor shaft, etc... possibly too advanced for my new to heli skills; mostly a 3d foamie flyer. keep with it? or sell the 130x and get a mcpx or nano or something from walkera? Mostly front yard flying in tight quarters. thanks for your opinion.
Just my two cents here. I am by no means an expert on helis, but think I am in the same situation as you. I have limited experience with Helis. My Rc experience is with mostly planes and trucks for the last 10 yrs. I flew f/p fly bar helis til I was bored(mainly the mSR). I then went to the mQX Quad. It was definitely a learning curve from what I had been flying( 3 axis Gyro and no self stabilization). But after a year, I wanted to get something more agile. So, I made the jump to c/p. While trying to decide between the Nano CP X, the new mCP X BL and the 130 X, I decided to go with the 130 X(Honestly I wanted something just a bit bigger than what I had been flying and the mCP X BL is only $20 cheaper than the 130 X). I figured there would be quite the learning curve so I have taken things slowly. Almost like learning from scratch, but that is what I was looking for. Something more challenging and it is definitely not boring to fly. It is exactly what I was looking for. After about 10 flights, I have not had any problems. Although, I do not fly this thing like I do my mSR or mQX. Just back to basics until I can get my proficiency up. I would say keep the 130 X and go a bit slower with it. I will admit that I would contemplate getting the more durable Nano Cp x if I had been breaking tail gears like I have read some guys are having issues with. But, overall I am extremely happy with the 130 X.
Cuw45 is offline Find More Posts by Cuw45
Last edited by Cuw45; Jan 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
139 Posts
My advice is the mcpx v2, BUT you will need somewhere to fly it, such as a sports hall.

I highly recommend the Horizon Hobby, solid extended tail boom, which is more robust and the tail holds much better.

You may break landing skids and damage main blades in the early days but fortunately these are interchangeable with the Hobby King FBL 100 parts.

I owned a 130x, but couldn't get on with it.
The Nano CPX is OK, a great aerobatic trainer, but I think the mcpx v2 is better and more stable for those early forays into helicopters.
GadgetMart is online now Find More Posts by GadgetMart
Last edited by GadgetMart; Jan 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:15 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
I have flown over 170 flights on two 130X and I have seen most of the reported tail problems. These range from thrown off tail blades and pulverized ball bearings, to broken tail cases and tail sliders and tail shaft. The plastic A gear has grind down after 20-30 flights and you will get tail blowouts and crashes unless you replace it with a metal gear. Slight damage to the tail case could result in amplified damage to other tail parts.

However, the rest of the heli is very crash resistant and the electronics reliable. It doesn't really bother me that much because I am used to flying Walkera TT models. You can potentially fix the problems by using upgrade parts. I am using a metal A gear and metal tail slider at the moment. It is also worth considering a metal tail case. To fix the resonance for good, you may need to get a Lynx tail boom system. I calculated that it could take over $120 to fix the tail problems completely.

I must warn you though not to hover the heli so that the tail blades are in line to your face. I have had 3 instances when either the blades or blade grips have been thrown off at 20,000 rpm.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw