HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:48 AM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
How can rc be safer than fishing? .
Let me tell you Dog, if fishing ain't dangerous you an't doin it right

Bad Fishing Accident (0 min 14 sec)

Give me a couple of prop cuts on the hand any day RC's a doddle compared to the perils of fishing.
SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Last edited by SouthParkflyer; Oct 09, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:19 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,413 Posts
I've seen that, isn't that the one where the guy got stuck in the throat?

A fluke stabbing though compared to how many fingers lost, or stitched in the er from prop cuts?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Really, you don't consider a spinning prop from an 85" wingspan gas engine plane to NOT be dangerous. I don't think I would want you near me at the field. Your attitude about safety truly leaves something to be desired Vertical. I hope you're insured pal.

Fishing on a lake dangerous? I guess those trout or bass are real maneaters. I guess you could call it dangerous, if you count drowning. Hunting feral hogs, now that's dangerous. Been there, done that.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,173 Posts
Have had my share of prop cuts from nitro engines back in the day. In 6 months, so far have kept my fingers intact flying electrics.

However, I have been hit by a landing HZ Champ. No injury but I felt it, and a Champ is only 1.3 ounces and it was landing at about 5 kph .

A 4 lb+ warbird in a full power dive/crash will have totally different results. Energy increases directly proportional to the mass of the plane and proportionally to the square of its velocity. Simple math will tell you that a foamy 1400 mm Warbird flying at 100 kph will hit with 20,000 times more energy than a landing HZ Cub.

How can one NOT take that seriously! I know the troll should not be fed, but some newbie might be reading this thread and misinterpret.

Somebody who is oblivious of the real danger posed by our rc aircraft to innocent passersby, should not be flying RC at all. His irresponsible actions, like drinking and flying, could potentially ruin the sport for all of us.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
This whole thread was started by discussing flying a foamie in the park. At which point would you consider flying a 85" gasser in the park? I flew nitro and anytime I had engine running my hands would get nowhere near it, that's what tuning screwdrivers are for.

If you have played in the hobby long enough to build or buy a large plane you should know what can happen. You have heard the stories and seen the pictures and should know not to be around any prop be it 5rpm or 5000rpm. Sure its dangerous if you put anything you value next to that.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
. How can one NOT take that seriously! I know the troll should not be fed, but some newbie might be reading this thread and misinterpret. .
As long as the 'newbie' doesn't get his advice and experience from IC Electric converts there shouldn't be a problem .An experienced electric flyer will steer them straight .
Been flying RC for 20 years only time I ever came close to prop strike was at the hands of an IC Flyer who decided to pick up my Tx and 'check it out' while I was placing the canopy on a model after arming the ESC ,huh typical Philistine .......
OneLastweedle is offline Find More Posts by OneLastweedle
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
The bottom line is, a 2 lb "foamie" is still gonna do some damage if it crashes into someone while flying in a park with a lot of people in attendance. We are just saying don't do it if there are a lot of people around. My point is don't drink alcohol and fly..............period.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:39 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
997 Posts
Early FPV days for me had me 'looking at the obstacles, (me in this case), and not looking at the 'gap' long story short I was going to land in front of where I was sitting, but saw 'me' and ended up running into my shoulder at about 1/2 throttle , the vid shows a surprised look on my face and NO DAMAGES it was a rear proped Bixler. loaded up with a 2200 3S Not saying this is always going to be the case but on this occasion no harm was done.

And call me a woose but I wasn't very hard on the pilot

WO

#justsayin
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
Tellin' it like it is!
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Is it just me or is it NOT OK to go to the flying field and have a "few brewski's" before flying??!!!! Don't know about you, but I don't wanna be around anyone flying a 2 lb+ plane with a spinning prop who is on his way to being drunk. That's not bragging that's just dumb.
Don't know broz, a refreshing ale or two always helps to loosen me up for a smoother fly in the end.

...and for those so inclined, a lil' puff of some perfectly legal tobacco makes for a sublime session.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it yo!
JamesNeal is offline Find More Posts by JamesNeal
Last edited by JamesNeal; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:27 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
How about trimming in a little rudder on a RET so you can relax with eyes closed and really enjoy that feeling? I bet SouthPark would like that.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Welcome to the RC Groups troll exhibit. Fascinating, isn't it, but in the interest of preserving their true behavior in the wild, and not making them dependent on reasoning, logical human beings, please......

It seems like people around here are too quick to blame others for being trolls. I have bee called a troll over 5 times since I signed up, and none of those people were correct. The OP is being sincere, I wish people would just have a good discussion or go to another thread.

Also I posted in a thread recently on planes being toys. I think that thread is hidden somewhere in the forum now.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:31 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,947 Posts
Earlier it was mentioned that you are less likely to be struck by lightning than to be injured or killed by an RC plane. Well, the standard is unexpectedly stiff, as lightning kills some 24,000 and injures about 240,000 people per year worldwide according to the National Lightning Safety Institute's International Lightning Safety Initiative.

There's no way that RC even INJURES 24,000 people per year. But among the reasons for its relative safety is the fact that everyone but the troll treats its hazardous component seriously, realizing that the object is to have fun, not spend the day at the emergency room.

300 people a year choke to death on hot dogs and I'll bet that is more than are killed by RC planes by 200 times. In the United States we've killed an average of about 700 bicyclists per year since 2003. But we don't measure hazard by how many people die. We measure hazard by the potential for injury or death. There definitely IS that potential in RC planes, either electric or IC.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Oh, I see, alcohol, and weed makes for safe conditions at the flying field. Excuse me if I think that's pretty stupid.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,947 Posts
It was meant to be stupid. After all, a troll posted it. Trolls are as trolls do. Not worth the time to condemn it. We just carry on as if he weren't there.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:18 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Oh, I see, alcohol, and weed makes for safe conditions at the flying field. Excuse me if I think that's pretty stupid.
JamesNeal/SouthPark is saying ridiculous stuff for this kind of reaction. I don't think it's to be malicious. I think it's being done in jest. I'll bet he's having a good laugh anyways...
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB