HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Discussion
which micro model to fly in small spaces with the Wind (UMX model?)?

would buy a model to fly in small spaces, with wind and low speed (when necessary) as a garden of 50x50 meters (in the air I have more space, but around the lawn there are trees). One side of the lawn has trees and is a little raised with a strip of asphalt (large 1.5 METERS)
I thought about taking'UMX carbon cub or UMX beat 3d.
What you sudgest me?
I have dx6i Transmitter (with model with flap, I can controll that?)
Now there are still problems with these models? (I have read of problems UMX models)
If you know any other models suitable for these flight conditions, tell me as well ...
thanks
ps: now I can fly inside that space with a ParkMaster 3d but with wind is very complicated and in any case it is always in curve (little model more fun I hope )
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
I would suggest going with the Beast . I fly mine every day that I can. The carbon cub stays in it's box, maybe 20 flights on it, I just do not enjoy flying that plane at all.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
The dx6i is a true six-channel transmitter. You can control flaps with it, but the two position switch is all you get (you can assign any value you want to each position). You cannot program any delayed-action or slow-action with the 6i, so if you want scale appearance you'll have to add that on the receiver side.

ETA - you can mix other channels to the flaps, or flaps to other channels, if that helps. Some people do flaps -> elevator. Me, I have no flaps.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
I would suggest going with the Beast . I fly mine every day that I can. The carbon cub stays in it's box, maybe 20 flights on it, I just do not enjoy flying that plane at all.
You try both on littlw space word wind condition?
Thx
P.s: I Ask that because some Italian people said me that The carbon cub fly more slow than The beast
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
i need to know why you don't "enjoy" your Carbon cub? i'm just asking because i'm getting mine today and am asking peeps the "pros" and "cons" of the CC.
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
The dx6i is a true six-channel transmitter. You can control flaps with it, but the two position switch is all you get (you can assign any value you want to each position). You cannot program any delayed-action or slow-action with the 6i, so if you want scale appearance you'll have to add that on the receiver side.

ETA - you can mix other channels to the flaps, or flaps to other channels, if that helps. Some people do flaps -> elevator. Me, I have no flaps.
How can add that on the reciver side? (rx you mean? but how?)
I see there is 180 mah 2s lipo 20 c and 200 mah 2s 25c lipo.
But some people have problem qith the 200 mah 25c 2s lipo...why? you know Why?(apparently the problem seems to be lack of engine (engine off) or esc ... )
Jhonny sudgest me the beast instead the cc (I whait the reason from jhonbny ) What do you think?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
I live in Southern Alberta's wind farm area with over 200 days of power generating wind per year. I have to fly in wind if I am going to fly much at all.

I have 20+ planes without AS3X that I fly in varying amounts of wind, some can take more than others. They all react the same way to wind and I have come to expect certain behaviors from them, [the wind blowing the rudder sideways until you are going straight into the wind ]. AS3X on the CC prevents this from happening and the plane does not fly like my other planes in wind. Without the AS3X , I think the CC would be a better plane ,for me at least.

In my experience the Beast can be flown in a much smaller area than the CC, it will hover,fly slow at high alpha, loops, rolls, you name it. All within your 50m x50m area. The Beast has a much bigger bag of tricks and is a very fun plane to fly.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
. The Beast has a much bigger bag of tricks and is a very fun plane to fly.
WHAT YOU MEAN?

For every one have the beast umx 3d...
There are parts that break sooner than others? Is there any trick or a workaround to avoid breaking the right model?
Some special setup?
I have a DX6i.
With regard to the lipo.
what are the lipo more durable (they do not give problems of excess power or at least they send in the protection the esc)
Normaly I buy from Hobbyking
But for this model, I do not want to risk buying an incompatible battery (full 100% compatibility with that model)
thx all
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The UMX compatible batteries from HK work great in the AS3X planes.

The best plane for wind in a small area is an Sbach converted to AS3X using Beast or GeeBee gear. It cuts wind better than the beast, and with Side Force Generators installed it flies nearly as slow as the beast 3D
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artesina View Post
WHAT YOU MEAN?

For every one have the beast umx 3d...
There are parts that break sooner than others? Is there any trick or a workaround to avoid breaking the right model?
Some special setup?
I have a DX6i.
With regard to the lipo.
what are the lipo more durable (they do not give problems of excess power or at least they send in the protection the esc)
Normaly I buy from Hobbyking
But for this model, I do not want to risk buying an incompatible battery (full 100% compatibility with that model)
thx all
I mean that the Beast is a very capable aerobatic plane able to fly slow in tight area and still manuever well . The CC on the other hand is a float - tow capable plane with a totally different flight window. Which style of flight suits you better?

I have crashed my Beast V1 numerous times. All that I have broken so far is the nose broken off,glued back on with Foamtac glue, the wings at least 10 times,also glued and taped. Have not bought a part for it yet other than 6 GWS 5030 props.
If you use the rates and expo recomended in the manual you should be fine.
The HK nano tech batteries work just fine at a good price.

Watch a few videos of each plane and compare their flying locations to yours, might help in your decision.
Last edited by Johnny Five; Aug 29, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
I think you need a sukhoi 26xp, with solopro motor, i can fly mine in small places and a lot of wind.

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artesina View Post
How can add that on the reciver side? (rx you mean? but how?)
You plug a circuit between the receiver and the servos, that implements sequencing, delay, or slow motion.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs