"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I don't know how to weigh a large plane. Lol

Or I don't have he means.

Do you have a link for the turbo spinner you speak of?

I need to do something. Way too much heat. I might move the ESC as well
I use a digital fish scale I bought at Wal-mart, IIRC. Wrap a rope around the wing tube (was c/g point on mine) to set the lift hook. I modified my Tru-Turn non-vented spinner to pass air. I didn't want to spend $$$ on another spinner. I'll post a pic. tonight. Came out good, if I say so myself...Name: 20140716_221245[1].jpg
Views: 17
Size: 384.2 KB
Description: Modified solid Tru-turn spinner and base.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Last edited by Da Big_G; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:29 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,183 Posts
Another low $$ option for motor air flow is to take a standard plastic spinner and just "cut its nose off" ... this allows for good airflow thru to the ventilated backplate and doesn't affect the mounting.

That having been said, I got an email from HobbyKing this morning and they are now offering plastic slotted/ventilated spinners starting from $6 and going to $12 in all different sizes (82mm and smaller).

http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...w&idparentcat=

Not as light and as sexy as a Falcon CF spinner, but 1/10th the cost !
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:12 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
140degF is where you can't put a finger on it
120 seems OK depending where you were measuring temp
IIRC, eCalc sets the max limit at 80degC
176 degrees F

It's npt getting that hot
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:19 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,683 Posts
My plane is not here right now, can anyone tell me the size of spinner needed?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:47 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
715 Posts
DaBig_G,

I would not paint the can if you are refering to the motor can. I would be concerned about keeping it balanced after the paiting.

Regarding the spinners with the hole through it, I simply took the spinner that came with the plane and cut off the tip. In order to make sure that it was cut properly, I had it chucked on a drill press. It worked pretty well.

Another thing to consider is how you use the throttle and the prop you are using. I believe that I am still flying mine faster than I should.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:27 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
DaBig_G,

I would not paint the can if you are refering to the motor can. I would be concerned about keeping it balanced after the paiting.

Regarding the spinners with the hole through it, I simply took the spinner that came with the plane and cut off the tip. In order to make sure that it was cut properly, I had it chucked on a drill press. It worked pretty well.

Another thing to consider is how you use the throttle and the prop you are using. I believe that I am still flying mine faster than I should.

Teo

My problem is, I am still sport flying while trying to figure out the up to date sportsman sequence. (Anyone have the 2014 PDF?)

And I enjoy sport flying regardless if I am not practicing

But right now, it scares the hell out of me to do a 75%
Throttle knife edge circle. I think I am going to bust the motor
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
My plane is not here right now, can anyone tell me the size of spinner needed?
3" for the spinner
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
My problem is, I am still sport flying while trying to figure out the up to date sportsman sequence. (Anyone have the 2014 PDF?)

And I enjoy sport flying regardless if I am not practicing

But right now, it scares the hell out of me to do a 75%
Throttle knife edge circle. I think I am going to bust the motor
All the up to date set of maneuvers are at http://www.nsrca.us/index.php/sequences NSRCA is the governing body representing Pattern for AMA
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
DaBig_G,

Teo
Speed is very subjective if you fly closer then slow down if fly further away close to the limit then speed up its all about being smooth and controlling the speed at all angle versus fast or slow....
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:27 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2014
295 Posts
I just ordered a 76mm turbo spinner in red and another in black from HobbyKing international location (not available at the USA warehouse). It will probably be about 30 days but I'm in no rush. Hopefully they will be half way decent quality. I have had very bad luck with Hobbyking for almost everything other than batteries.
Aerobatic Addict is online now Find More Posts by Aerobatic Addict
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:43 AM
Joined Jun 2005
715 Posts
I agree that the speed is highly subjective. In this instance, this is my first plane in this size so I am getting used to the fact that the impression of speed is different based on its size. I am still triming the plane and getting to know it, but I can definitely tell that it is better than the Angel 50 I am used to flying.

Teo
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Apr 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatic Addict View Post
I just ordered a 76mm turbo spinner in red and another in black from HobbyKing international location (not available at the USA warehouse). It will probably be about 30 days but I'm in no rush. Hopefully they will be half way decent quality. I have had very bad luck with Hobbyking for almost everything other than batteries.
Same here the few things I have order except for battery's when straight into the garbage can......for the money I have into these aircrafts I can swing a good spinner

Back around 2000 my pattern plane build painted and cover by me cost me around 7k so those ARF are very inexpensive nowadays
Old Jul 18, 2014, 05:37 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2014
295 Posts
Himax

I just got my Himax motor from F3A unlimited. Its interesting how the center ring is empty all the way through. I would think this would allow it to cool much better especially with a turbo spinner. All the outrunners I have had before were not like this design that allows air to go through the middle of the motor. It looks pretty cool.
Aerobatic Addict is online now Find More Posts by Aerobatic Addict
Old Today, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2005
715 Posts
Has anyone replaced the bearings on the Torque Silver Bullet motor?

Hello,

I have 29 flights on the Vanquish and I have noticed that the outer can is a little wobbly. I took the motor apart and it seems that the rear beaing needs to be replaced. This is the larger bearing out of the two and it appears to be pressed onto the shaft. I have a couple of ideas of how I could pop the bearing, but before doing so I wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue.

When I ordered to the new bearings, I did ask Extreme Flight if instructions were available but they sent none. I will shoot them a note a again to see if I get a response. In the mean time, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Teo