New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by plane_tech
Theoretical balsa dust maker
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Oct 2007
2,363 Posts
MontagDP - I apologize for the rant. Please feel free to delete my post if do desired.
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Montag DP
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
MontagDP - I apologize for the rant. Please feel free to delete my post if do desired.
No, it's fine. I just want to make sure this thread doesn't turn into one of those ones where people go on and on about their own philosophy of lift, etc. But a slight detour into why this stuff is valuable isn't out of place.

By the way, I do have a code in the works to go along with the grid generator. Right now it is inviscid, implicit, and steady. Eventually I plan for it to be useful for low Re, low Mach number airfoils, but that might be awhile since I am just working on it a little bit at a time when I am free.
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jan 12, 2015, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Thank you Montag...

[Rant:]

I highly beg to differ

Really. I am sure that there are some people at NASA, Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed, Piper, Grumman, Cessna, UIUC to name a few that would argue the opposite.

Sure. I'll get right on that.

And based on your past threads/ posts, maybe trying to stir the pot in an academic/scientific/experimentation /learning thread is not the best place to make these statements.

There are several people here, myself included that enjoy the study of fluid dynamics, even thought I may never fully understand it compared to some others, as hey, I'm only a dumb A&P with a wrench. But, I do enjoy learning how / why one wing section does in fact out preform another on the same planform, weight, size etc on the same day in the same lift. Or how one camber setting will effect the behavior of the wing in the different phases of a flight.

[/Rant]
Past threads? I've only ever done one, asking what people thought of the BVM Electra. As a result I bought one.

Enjoy? I've done a lot of CFD. Jet engines and great BIG computers which store 90% of the worlds 'bits' and keep the modern world running. You don't think it runs on little PCs, do you? It was us that put the computers in 'Computational' making CFD into a practical and useable discipline. We did that with fractals too, I worked in the same relatively small section of the overall outfit as Mandelbrot himself for some time (one evening we made the world's very first crop circle, near Winchester in the UK, later on we made more complicated ones to confound the dopey 'theories' and of course lots of other people joined in ). Even NASA said they would not have got to the Moon without us. We invented CAD too, with Dassault. I didn't personally do ALL these things by myself of course

Use in home-made 'garden shed' models? To a minor extent, but the degree of precision it can give provided you are prepared to do a whole lot of work is pointless. I am sure the OP doesn't want us all just to say "Awesome" all the time as he actually takes the time to give genuine answers to a 'dissenting' view. Even if he wants me to clear off, which I now will unless you won't accept that I do have a clue.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Jan 12, 2015 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Montag DP
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,638 Posts
I'm still slowly making progress on the CFD code. It currently does steady inviscid or laminar viscous flow. It is implicit for the convective fluxes, meaning you can use large time steps for fast convergence, but not yet for the viscous fluxes. Here is a second-order transonic inviscid solution.

As I slowly work on this and get it to a state where it is actually useful, would anyone actually be interested in using it? I can put it on sourceforge eventually when it gets to that state, or possibly before. It would be another command-line based code where I would provide executables or you could compile it yourself. "Useful" for this forum would mean that I would have to put in turbulence models, and probably one that does transition. I don't know when that would be.

Dan
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 03, 2015, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by markschaffin
United States, KS, Andover
Joined Oct 2005
546 Posts
Looks good, Dan. Stick with the command line approach. It will make the code much more flexible. Looks like you are having fun.
markschaffin is offline Find More Posts by markschaffin