Old Jul 15, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Lnagel
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Build Log
Micro DeHavilland DH-6

I'm sure most of you have seen Peter Rake's post requesting prototype builders for some micro sized aircraft. He has graciously posted some of the plans of the available airplanes. I decided I wanted to build the DH-6 so I figured I would do a build thread at the same time.

Unlike the wimps that are waiting for a laser cut kit, I cut my own parts and started the build a couple of days ago. So far I have built the wings and gotten a start on the fuselage.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:57 AM
Find More Posts by sirpercy
United States, IN, Noblesville
Joined Sep 2013
168 Posts
Wimp?? a gauntlet or just a challenge?? What?? your right, too busy cutting and gluing parts for a wimpy 1/3 scale SE5a..

Anyway, Macho, good looking build
sirpercy is offline Find More Posts by sirpercy
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
8,426 Posts
Larry,
Highly inflammatory mate. However, as I often say. 'If you can't take a joke, aeromodelling probably isn't for you'. Afterall, in what other hobby do you spend time and money creating a miniature work of art and then throw it into the air? Somebody, somewhere just has to be extracting the urine.

Making good progress, but just one point. The longerons are supposed to go all the way to the tailpost. Unless you've cut your exit plates to make up the difference you'll need to add some 1/16 sq. top and bottom and a piece of 1/16x1/8 at the rear. No biggie, but I thought I'd better mention it. Don't forget the slight taper at the top to provide + incidence on the tailplane.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by moscow580
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
2,284 Posts
Hi Larry. Are wimps allowed to watch. I promise I won't make any wimpy remarks. Definitely will not bring up "Modge" Podge.

I am building a micro Snipe old Guillows model.

What power plant are you going to use? electronics?

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Jul 16, 2015, 01:38 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpercy View Post
Wimp?? a gauntlet or just a challenge??
Actually, "jest" would be a better description. I meant no disrespect to anyone. Even I resorted once to buying a laser cut kit from Charlie at Manzano. It was a different airplane though.

Larry
Last edited by Lnagel; Jul 16, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 01:46 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Larry,
Highly inflammatory mate. However, as I often say. 'If you can't take a joke, aeromodelling probably isn't for you'. Afterall, in what other hobby do you spend time and money creating a miniature work of art and then throw it into the air? Somebody, somewhere just has to be extracting the urine.

Making good progress, but just one point. The longerons are supposed to go all the way to the tailpost. Unless you've cut your exit plates to make up the difference you'll need to add some 1/16 sq. top and bottom and a piece of 1/16x1/8 at the rear. No biggie, but I thought I'd better mention it. Don't forget the slight taper at the top to provide + incidence on the tailplane.

Pete
Yes, I am aware that the longerons are supposed to extend to the tailpost. However, the top view of the fuselage shows a rather large angle change aft of former F9. To my mind to make that large of a change in angle would require cracking the longerons at the minimum. Therefore I decided I would make the tail cone as a separate assembly and glue it to the end of the truss.

I also noted the taper under the horizontal stabilizer and will incorporate it appropriately.

Larry
Old Jul 16, 2015, 01:57 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscow580 View Post
Hi Larry. Are wimps allowed to watch. I promise I won't make any wimpy remarks. Definitely will not bring up "Modge" Podge.
The only wimpy remark I am aware of is, "I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Quote:
I am building a micro Snipe old Guillows model.
That sounds interesting. Are you going to start a thread and show us your accomplishments?

Quote:
What power plant are you going to use? electronics?

Sean
That's a good question. I have built a couple of small Guillows 500 series models, but for display only. When it comes to how to equip flying micros I am like Sergeant Schultz, I know nothing.

Peter mentioned Vapor bricks and 8.5mm motors, but I a unfamiliar with both. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice of where to obtain those, or similar, pieces of equipment.

Larry
Last edited by Lnagel; Jul 16, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
8,426 Posts
Larry,
The equipment shown is all available as spares from PZ stockists, the motor unit being the one from their P-51 and similar models. IIRC, the one from the Corsair has a longer lead.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:21 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
2,284 Posts
Hi Larry

I started a build on the Scratch built forum. I built the 18" Fokker DVII but the UMX motor was not powerful enough. I am going with the brushless 180 (eflite) for the Snipe with the brick and inline servos. I am basically using the UMX Beast setup for my Snipe.

Sean
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:09 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Pete,

Thank you for your input. Looking at Horizon Hobby I find a 3 channel brick for $51.00 and a 6 channel brick w/AS3X for $64.00. Since you have designed these airplanes to operate on 3 channels I assume the 3 channel brick is the one you have in mind. To make choices even more complicated, right now HH has the Vapor w/fpv camera/transmitter on sale for $60.00, only $9.00 more than the brick alone. From what I can tell the motor that comes with the Vapor is not as powerful as the P-51 motor. So it is hard to say if it would have sufficient power to fly the DH-6. The P-51 motor w/gearbox is available separately for $14.00.

Larry
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Sean,
Of course, I followed the D.VII thread and am following the Snipe thread.

Larry
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:16 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
To continue on with the build thread, I assembled the tail feathers over the plan.

Larry
Old Jul 17, 2015, 06:31 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
2,284 Posts
Hi Larry

I have been scouring the Classifieds here on RCG and you can get a brick, motor and servos for a lot cheaper. The sellers appear to be selling worthy items for a fraction of the cost. Also I have vapor props that I am not going to use you are welcome to one or two.

How's the tabloid back together? And the PT-19.

Also I covered with a glue stick from Staples and tissue from Michael's. I did not pre-shrink the tissue (I should have with water) and sealed it with a 50/50 mixture of denatured alcohol and miniwax WBPU. I also used my heat gun to speed up the drying process.

I always enjoy your builds. Great detail.

Sean
Old Jul 17, 2015, 07:07 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,039 Posts
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the heads up on the RCG classifieds. I have to admit that I have never perused them.

The Tabloid is close to being ready to fly again. I've got it back together structurally. Just need to repair some covering and do some touch up painting. I really haven't done anything on the PT-22 (not a PT-19) for quite awhile. I do need to get back on it. It's just that so many new things like this DH-6 seem to grab my attention and demand construction.

I do plan to cover the micro with printed tissue.

Happy that you enjoy my builds even if I never seem to complete some of them.

Larry
Old Jul 17, 2015, 07:45 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
2,284 Posts
Hi Larry

The BIG heads up is the AUW. This plane has to come in at 2oz or less for the UMX motor to even get it off the ground. My FDVII was a tad over 4oz and it would all squirrel across the ground. Also speedy01 turned me on to the 45C batteries the have more punch in the 1 cell category.

Sean