New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2002, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by try2fly
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
135 Posts
What speed motor is equal to an .049 glow engine? -EZ-Bee Electric conversion attempt

I have an old EZ-Bee in one piece (sort of). I want to convert it and use it again...it flew real easy and gentle the two times I think I ever got it in the air. I hate @#$% glow engines. I'm looking for info on what speed electric engine is equivalent to a Cox .049 glow engine. My guess is any 400 would suffice for this. Especially since overall weight may decrease a bit in the conversion.

Another question. The radio in it is a 2-channel AM (50) radio. I think it is a "Cobra" radio that came with it. When using glow power, you must connect a harness w/ 4 AA batteries for radio power inside the glider, of course. There are three inputs on the Rx. Chan 1, Chan 2 and battery. So if I convert it to electric, it will only be 2 channel, with throttle always on. Is there a BEC or something that will allow this and let me use the motor battery for Rx power as well. It would have to connect to the motor, the battery and the battery terminal on the Cobra AM Rx.

As always, thanks for all your helpful insight.

BTW- the maiden voyage for my new TigerMoth (basically first real RC project) was put off today due to rain/weather, so obviously this new idea came about in my yearning to fly! This hobby is great!
try2fly is offline Find More Posts by try2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2002, 04:04 AM
Find More Posts by Jason M
20 years on RCG!
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 1996
3,227 Posts
Oh boy, I HATE Cox engines! I cant tell you how many of those .049s Ive had to get running at the shop I work for over the years - in everything from EZ Bees to control line, air cars, etc. Just a plain headache...

Electric is definitely the answer Id suggest a geared 400 motor. LOTS of thrust for excellent climb and duration (Even at full "on" power liek youll be using). For the motor, you want to use BEC so youll want an Auto Cut Off unit. Basically, you turn the motor on and it runs at full til the battery power fades, then the low voltage circuit cuts in and you have plenty of juice left for servos. This saves the weight of the HEAVY receiver packs out. This is a good one:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Catalog/Air/...1002_plus.html

Itll easily handle up to 10 amps and 7 cells that I'll suggest you use with the geared 400 set up. It sells for around $29.99 plus shipping most places - I actually have a spare one, brand new in the box I could sell you for $20 shipped. Saves you about $15 and will work perfectly.

Now you have the Auto Cut Off unit to provide BEC to the receiver, so now you need the motor, gearbox, prop and battery pack. I suggest a 6 volt Speed 400 motor, 2.5:1 gearbox and a 9x6 APC slow fly prop. This combo pulls around the Hitec SkyScooter Pro with lots of power - and it will be perfect for the lighter and lighter loaded EZ Bee. I suggest a geared motor because a direct drive motor wouldnt pull that fairly large model around too well and the motor would barely last 3 minutes at full throttle on 7 cell 600 mah packs. Here's a list for the motor, gearbox, prop, and battery pack from http://www.hobby-lobby.com

Motor - GR3321 - Graupner Speed 400 6v - $8.90
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed280.htm

Gearbox - MPY345 - All metal gearbox for 400s with 3 ratios (You want to use the 2.5:1 ratio) - $19.90
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm

Prop - P09060SF - APC 9x6 "Slow Fly" prop - $3.64
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/slowprop.htm

Battery pack - B600AE7 - 7 cell 600 Mah pack - $20.20

With that exact gear in and the Hitec auto cut off, itll get a good 4-8 minutes of motor run time with very good climb rate and power. Again, the gearbox is $20 but honestly something youll really want. Without it, motor run times will be low and there wont be much power there for a decent climb (This is using a direct drive 400 motor and push on or 5-6 inch prop). As you can see, that little tiny Tigermoth motor spins a HUGE 9 inch prop - all due to gearing! Gearboxes are a must for large slow models like the EZ Bee.

Email me directly if youd like to talk about buying the Hitec Auto Cut Off unit! LVRCFlyer@aol.com

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2002, 04:53 AM
Find More Posts by opualuan
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,865 Posts
it would be helful if you gave us the wingspan, wing area, and empty airframe weight (NOTHING in it)...

I don't know its scale, but if you want it to fly slow a speed400/600ae setup might be too heavy.. speed300/goldmine/720nimh might make it fly more slowly, it all depends on the airframe...

oh, and you're gonna want to toss the radio gear and put in micro gear... and I don't see any reason not to use an electronic speed control with bec...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Last edited by opualuan; Jan 06, 2002 at 04:58 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2002, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by try2fly
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
135 Posts
excellent info as usual

Thanks for the insight.

I like the idea of scrapping the radio, and using 3 ch micro gear, but for around $50 bucks I can at least get it in the air with fully its own equipment- 2 ch. and without purchasing a flight pack.

I'll try to contact you about purchasing your motor setup, LVRC Flyer! Thanks again!
try2fly is offline Find More Posts by try2fly
Old Jan 07, 2002, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by Jason M
20 years on RCG!
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 1996
3,227 Posts
Hey Jason!

Actually, I was just looking through some radio gear and found Ive got a nearly brand new Hitec Focus III AM 3 channel transmitter, receiver and 10 amp electronic speed control I wouldnt mind selling. The radio, receiver and ESC are just about brand new and work perfectly. The radio and receiver sell for around $50 new, and the ESC is $30. I'll take $69 for the Transmitter, receiver and ESC and I'll even throw in a used MPI all metal gear box and a Speed 400 motor! The gearbox was on an airplane I bought used and has a slightly bent shaft. If you can get the prop adapter off, you can bend the shaft close to striahgt and use it - all youd need is a battery pack! For $69, thats the radio, receiver, ESC along with the used motor and gearbox which will work perfectly with just a little work!

Let me know!

(Another) Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2015, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by Dfmooresr
Control line user
Joined Sep 2015
1 Posts
I have an old Lil Toot CL airplane that I just put together. It requires an .049 engine. I'd like to replace the engine with an electric engine and still keep the plane CL. What do you recommend and what prop size? Thanks.
Dfmooresr is offline Find More Posts by Dfmooresr